NAL-NL2 vs SmartFit and Real Ear Measurements

I am just a hearing impaired enthusiast. So I will give an answer that I think is correct. Please, any better qualified Member should feel free to correct any of my mis-perceptions.

REM is conducted at the end of the fitting to confirm that the correct amplification for your audiogram prescription is actually heard in your ear canals. Adjustments are then made to enhance or reduce different frequencies to fit your hearing loss.

REM in essence corrects the receiver output to confirm and if necessary correct for different volume size and shape of your actual ear canals against the “standard ideal average model of an ear canal”.

To directly answer your question, yes, REM should be done immediately after fitting your hearing aids.

Look at Real Ear Measurement and Fitting by Doctor Cliff on youtube for a fuller explanation.

2 Likes

Verification systems do not have VAC+ targets. So even if your hearing aid is set to VAC+ programming, if you are doing REM you have to choose targets to compare those settings to. Since you cannot choose VAC+ targets (they are proprietary), you have to choose something else to compare them against.

I don’t think I have been able to explain this clearly in the past when I’ve mentioned it, and maybe I’m not explaining it clearly here.

3 Likes

Hi Neville,
I only know what I think I know (which can be dangerous!).
So I must defer to your greater knowledge on the subject.
Best regards…

1 Like

Neville, 2nd page of this https://www.oticon.com/~/media/Oticon%20US/main/Download%20Center/Opn/Product%20Information/12241%20-%2015555-10026%20Real%20Ear%20Cookbook.pdf
suggests that Genie2 has REM Autofit that allows verification against VAC+. Is this not “real” REM?

Yeah, that’s something I talked about with someone else, and the answer is: I don’t know. I’ll have to find time to hook it up and play with it. The text certainly suggests that it does, doesn’t it. I did not think that autofit was widely used yet though.

I still feel a little uncomfortable about it. Nice that the software will tell you that the hearing aid is doing what they intended it to do, but you still cannot verify that independently.

1 Like

My understanding is that the REM test is done when your hearing aids are fitted. All they are doing is measuring with a microphone inside the ear canal how loud the sounds are from the hearing aid speaker. The computer program predicts how loud they will be, but each ear is different and only when you measure the sound level directly do you know if the correct sound level is being applied. Ideally it should be done at soft, medium, and loud sound levels. It is not a test of your hearing, but a test of your hearing aid performance in your ear.

2 Likes

The fitter at Costco tried to make the AutoFit in Connexx 8 work so they could measure REM to SmartFit formulas. She could not make it work. I suspect it can work, if it is set up properly. She said she was going to ask the Rexton rep about it when they come in.

1 Like

Thanks, now I’ve got a better understanding of REM.

Dave

Signia have a good tutorial on how to use their version of AutoFit in the link below. This was pretty much the same procedure and equipment that I saw with my REM fitting with my Audiologist using the autofit feature of Genie 2.

I am fairly sure that the fitting rationale was selectable and part of the prescribed targets on the Genie 2 as well…? It certainly was what I asked the Audiologist to do for me.
https://www.signia-library.com/scientific_marketing/autofit-imc2/

Signia is not compatible for us, unfortunately. My clinic is all verifit 2 REM machines. I think the Oticon autofit is compatible, I just haven’t had time to hook it up and run the appropriate checks.

Things are moving very quickly with new agreements on software and hardware protocol between all the leading Hearing Aid manufacturers on how to conduct all sorts of programming options.

This can only be very good for all us recipient consumers in terms of product capability and ability to compare and test.

I think the emerging solution is IMC 2 (Inter Module Communication–Protocol 2). Connexx, Aurical REM equipment, and other use it. Here is an article about it. Time to do the REM seems to be a big obstacle in the more frequent use of REM. Use of REM is estimated to be as low as 10% in the industry.

Easy, Fast, and Accurate: Hearing Aid Fittings via an Automated REM System Using IMC 2

I hooked up the Oticon autofit today. It’s neat, but I wouldn’t necessarily say it’s faster than me doing it myself. You cannot verify to proprietary targets with this one. Fitter still needs to be familiar enough with REM to detect common errors.

Unless the signia autofit hooks up with the verifit, I won’t be using it any time soon.

Signia has different equipment named unity 3 for REM.

Its autofit capabilities are compatible with a couple of other options though, just not the verifit.