MyPhonak app won't work when on the road and no internet

When on the road, if I try to use the MyPhonak app (on Android) to control my HAs using BT it says it cannot connect to my HAs because I am “not on the internet”. (Right, I don’t have a data subscription). Anyone having the same problem? Why does it need the interweb for BT comms? Is there a workaround?

I just put my iPhone in airplane mode and the app works just great. Is Bluetooth turned on?

Jordan

1 Like

Try a hard reset on your phone, may reset everything.

Thx- yes, BT is on. Will try airplane mode- if that doesn’t cur BT. Hard phone reset? Sounds too drastic…

Try to delete the myPhonak app and then download and install the app again.

1 Like

My app does the same thing, if no internet, it can’t connect. Been like that for years.

I have an Android phone and set it at airplane mode and myphonak app works fine.

1 Like

Thanks for the workaround, guys. I did not realize that flight mode leaves BT intact. Still sounds like a massive programming error…

In my opinion the MyPhonak app is a real dog! It really doesn’t do much, and what it does do should already have been programed into your phone by your audiologist.

I prefer to use the Phonak remote control, which is far more convenient than having to pull out your phone.

2 Likes

@dacuttler

The App is quite good to make adjustments for what works for you to then see your audiologist to get it programmed in permanently.

This link shows you what the features in the App relate to what’s in the software.

I can agree with that, but I still think the app is more of an afterthought.
Phonak has even dumbed down the remote control. I am a DIY, and so happy not to have to rely on an audiologist.

PilotOne II was much better than the new Remote Control. I sold the new Remote Control once I realised how rubbish it was.

I’m also DIY.

Actually you do not need the App that much when everything is well set using Target. It was in the old days you had to wheel up/down the volume all day, but no more, thanks to better electronics. The exception (for me) is when streaming audio from my TV. I cannot easily adjust the volume from the source, and using the controls on my HAs changes the balance of the sound (streaming vs external world), so in that case I do need the app. It would be nice if, say, my left HA controlled the balance, and the right HA the volume, but I don’t think you can arrange that.

I agree but it’s vary rare for a hearing aid to be perfect straight away so will be useful at the start, at least.

I don’t really use the App either.

Probably the main benift is for the audiologist to do remote sessions with folks who are not able to easily visit their office. For those of us who DIY, the app has little value.

In spite of the remote control being dumbed down, it still beats fumbling around behind my ears with fat fingers. It also saves wear and tear on the mechanical hearing aid buttons, which must have a finite cycle life.

Is the Phonak Remote Control an alternative to using the App? Or can you use both depending on where you are. I am generally okay just using the app, but trying to use the app in a public place requires the phone screen to be active. The screen light upsets others around me in places like cinemas and theatres and concerts!

I use the remote control to switch between dedicated programs like music for playing my classical guitar, and Comfort in Noise when in my in my car. It also allows you to adjust the volume, that’s about it. You cannot have the MyPhonak app running, along with the remote control, it’s one or the other, because they both need to utilize the Bluetooth connection.

About all I use the MyPhonak app for is to occasionally check the battery level, and generally will go for days without using it at all. I live in an urban environment, and prefer to keep my phone in my pocket while out in public.

1 Like

I had not heard of the PilotOne II until today. I saw one for sale. Is it compatible with K10s? I’ve just geen aware of the Phonak remote control and was considering that. Can you tell me the difference between the PilotOne II and the Remote Control I see everywhere? Thank you.

it’s for the older platforms, the last would of been Belong.
The new version is for Marvel onwards.

So do you leave your Phonaks in “airplane mode” ALL the time? I can’t risk any BT instability with phone calls, so before I ever download and use myPhonak, I’d need to know that BT is 100% reliable - even if I need to use the (lame) workaround of putting them into airplane mode.

That seems really counter-intuitive. BT should not require the internet. It’s on the Android phone - more like a functional app. I don’t get why this cludge is required. If anyone can answer the logic behind myPhonak requiring “airplane mode” whenever someone isn’t on their home wifi, well I’d love to know.