myPhonak App not Working

In December 2021 local audiologists sold me a pair of Phonak Audeo P 30-R hearing aids. If you are familiar with the Australian scene, this audio was a member of the IAA, i.e they were not owned by a hearing aid manufacturer. For a short while the Phonak app worked okay, then started not working properly. After some fiddling around my audio advised that the Phonak app is optimised for Samsung phones, and the fact mine was a Nokia 6.1 was probably part of a problem. I obtained a refurbished Galaxy S20 FE, but found little improvement. After a while (maybe due to an app upgrade) the Phonak app deteriorated and for probably nearly a year I just muddled on without it. The audio had installed three profiles, so I didn’t need to access the default amplification profiles. By this time I had decided that Audio didn’t have sufficient IT skills to do the job properly, and found another one when I next the sided I needed help.

In 2007 when I first got a hearing aid in my left ear the audio who supplied it had an outstanding reputation. In 2011 I downsized and moved across town to be closer to my children and grandchildren. That put me a long way from my audio, so I went to someone else who proved to be a disaster. I later realised his franchise was an Oticon subsidiary. So in 2021 I found this third one, and IAA member, but also didn’t seem to provide what I needed. So in early 2023 I went back to the original practice. In the meantime the original owner had joined forces with another firm, established a number of offices, and his children and other audiologists were doing the face-to-face consultations. So I still haven’t found a top-notch audio.

I once more installed the Phonak app - obviously a number of updates from the previous version. For a couple of months the app worked well, but now it cannot connect to my hearing aids. In other respects the hearing aids work okay - in and out calls on my phone come to my hearing aids via Bluetooth, same for audio from the TV, same for other audio from my phone.

So on my phone I go into settings, connections, Bluetooth, R-Hearing aid and select Unpair. I then go to the complete list of apps on my phone, go to myPhonak and uninstall. I then power off the phone (not restart) for 15 or more seconds before restarting. I also factory reset the hearing aids https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8-1QFrWt0g (I’m uncertain if this video was produced by Phonak, and I can’t find written instructions for factory reset on a Phonak webpage).
I restart the phone and remove the hearing aids from the charger. I install the myPhonak app (careful, the top return for a search for myPhonak is the Oticon app!), then restart and pair the hearing aids. I see both hearing aids have been found. I continue, it asks twice for permission to pair which I accept, it reports pairing completed, then asks if I want to enable hearing aid controls, I accept, I then accept stay connected. It is now showing the charge level and volume level of both hearing aids. However, audio from the phone is not coming to the hearing aids via bluetooth. I then once more switch them off And on to restart pairing mode, open settings, connections, bluetooth on the phone, it asks permission to pair to the R hearing aid, and a little later the hearing aids are picking up the phone’s audio, and the app is still showing charge levels etc.
The first time I went through this process the app was unable to connect.
Shortly after I notice a small 1 on the Phonak app icon. When I opened it it eventually reports “connection to your hearing aids failed”. So I’m now back to square one.

Has an update to the Phonak app broken it, or can anyone tell me how to fix this please?

I’m having Xiaomi Mi9 android phone with actual myPhonak app version 6.5.1 , and no problems. But I have Naida Marvels M90 with latest firmware.

First, be aware that on the phones Bluetooth section you should have three paired BT connections for your Phonak Audeo aids. Two are LowEnergyBT for controlls , and one is classicBT for audio streaming/phone conversation.

• LE_R Phonak HA ( for controlling the right aid )

• LE_L Phonak HA ( for controlling the left aid )

• R-Phonak (classic BT for master aid , usually the right HA).

Check in the phones BT settings.

During the pairing process you should get permission questions for each of the three BT devices. Accept each pairing question for each of the three BT connections. The pairing process need only done once…

1 Like

I don’t think it is a problem with your phone, I have a Samsung A52s which is only just over a year old. When the app works it is “okish”, but it fails frequently. Last week I had to uninstall it and reinstall, re-pair 4 times. It reverts back to old versions and settings become greyed out. I looked at my phone 5 minutes ago and yet again it has disconnected my aids and across the top, there is only one of my modes (automatic) showing. There are others with PartnerMic + mic, TV Connector + mic (x2), Bluetooth streaming + mic (x9) RogerDirect + mic and so on and on! I don’t have a partnermic, TV Connecor or Roger so these settings have never been used. So yet again I’m going to have to start again. I installed the app on my iPad and that won’t connect to my aids at all. I know this won’t be much help in your situation, except it shows that it’s not you!

I have done all 3. During the reboot I accepted pairing of the LE_L & LE_R, then later the R-Phonak, and all 3 show up in Settings, Bluetooth, paired devices. After I paired the R-Phonak it initially worked. A few minutes later and after I had gone out of the App, a number 1 appeared on the Phonak icon, and when I open the App it was trying to connect both hearing aids for quite a while, and eventually showed connection failed.

After I posted my original message it asked me to log into my Phonak account. I have just created that and logged in on the phone. Then opened the Phonak App, and it has been trying to connect for maybe 15 mins - it now is not reporting connection failure. During this 15 mins I have switched my hearing aids aff and on, so they have been in pairing mode for 3 mins, but that didn’t assist pairing mode.

Tealover,
Your suggestion seems to fit what I am experiencing, so I wonder whether its just a case of Phonak issuing faulty updates - in which case we can hope a fix is coming. Or is it just an app that doesn’t work? Of course this problem means I can’t adjust volume of one to be different to the other, I can only adjust the volume of both by pressing the up or down button on one of them. As my L ear has a lot more hearing loss than my R thats annoying.

Rather frustrating either way. I hope Phonak monitors this forum and gives us some advice.

I just went on the section of the app which invites feedback. It takes the form of a questionnaire, but there’s a box for comments. I suggested to them that they should look at this forum to see what people are saying.

1 Like

@cwyndham

Could you please check the firmware of your Audeo Paradise P30 RT

• for the rechargable Audeo Paradise RT the actual firmware version is: 1.1.15.0 (latest from August 23)

• for disposable Paradise (312) firmware version is: 1.1.12.0

Hmm. My audeo p90r HAs are at 1.1.13.0. Is the dot 15 available for mine? And what does it provide? Might be time for a trip to the hospital.

WH

@Member42
Mine are Audeo P30-R - so far as I know there is no Paradise in the name, and they are rechargeable. They have 1.1.13.0 firmware.
I cannot find anything in Phonak’s documentation that is in the App, about how to upgrade firmware, but I have seen elsewhere that only an audio can do that. So I am emailing my audio asking if I need an upgrade, and if it will fix the problems.

I’m sorry. I don’t have Audeos and just posted this firmware info from another thread. So I can not justify If this is correct.

Can be that 1.1.13.0 firmware is the latest for Audeo Paradise 30s.

Btw. Audeo P30-R is tech stage 30 from Paradise rechargable line

I have just emailed the following to my audiologist. Hopefully they will at least tell me who can answer the questions, even if they can’t. My impression with all the audiologists I have encountered is that they really don’t have the IT skills to obtain the full capabilities of modern hearing aids. The previous message that I refer to asked if my phone is compatible with the Phonak app. Phonak states the app is compatible with the Galaxy S20 FE and Galaxy S20 5G, but their list doesn’t include S20 FE 5G. I have asked it either of the ones they list is another name for the S20 FE 5G, or is mine different to the ones they have tested?

"Further to my message last Thursday, the App is now working properly. As it has intermittently worked and not worked previously, I suspect another failure will occur in time.

This morning an update ran on my phone. I now have the 1 August update, on Android 13, on a Galaxy S20 FE 5G. However, I am uncertain whether the 1/08/23 update was there before this morning, the update might have been something else. What I do know is that it took much longer to download than is usual for monthly updates. After the update I had to reconnect my hearing aids. Also, I connect my “dumb” TV audio to my hearing aids via a Exteek Wireless Bluetooth 5.0 Transmitter. Normally I have to switch the hearing aids to pairing mode, then they connect almost immediately after I switch on the TV (i.e. long before the TV warms up and the audio starts). After the phone update, the hearing aids took much longer to connect, and I had to turn off my phone before they would connect to the Exteek transmitter.

I hope these symptoms will assist you in diagnosing what is causing the Phonak app to malfunction, and to suggest how to overcome these problems."

Hi, I have the same phone as you and I don’t have any issues at all with the app, even after having my Audi tweak one of the installed programs, everything was just like before as far as connectivity is concerned. Same as to the latest phone August update.