Myphonak app defaults to Autosense

This is my first week with Phonak P 50R .
a) ​Myphonak app defaulting to autosense whenever I am out of range of BT is a nuisance . I created a custom setting from autosense with comfort activated. I like this setting because the high freq is slightly lowered ( no idea by how many db spl as there is no scale in any of the settings) . I dont keep my phone with me all the time so is there anyway besides a new base setting by audiologist to keep the app at the Custom program?
b) How to edit a Custom program? THe setting icon is greyed out so cannot update it

Thanks

2 Likes

MyPhonak 5 app is being released very soon… then you can do what you want if the audiologist takes you custom settings and makes it a manual program.

I mean the three horiz bars at bottom right of the screen is greyed out .

I use android .

Thanks . I will ask my audiologist next week.

I have found the MyPhonak app to be less than worthless (for now). Whatever manual modifications or selections I make to the HAs gets reset back to AutoSense every time my phone screen shuts off (Android or iPhone). So, my mode settings/modifications last for about 2 minutes or so, unless I am actively using my phone.

Hopefully, a MyPhonak update will be fixing this soon.

1 Like

Yes , it disappointing for me because I don’t live by my phone . What I do for the time being is to install the app in an old phone and place it at a strategic location where I can get BT signals in most locations. Not the best solution . myphonak ver 5 badly needed. So far I like the autosense set to Comfort as my go to Custom Preset.I can still hear all the high freq but slightly attenuated by a few db so its less distracting.My7 biggest disappointment with hearing aids is the lack of low freq bass sound when listening to music but that is to be expected because of the very small speaker in the ear canal compared to 12 inch drivers and subwoofers

I have a closed dome . I hear bass but no where close to my HT system.

1 Like

I have uninstalled the myPhonak app for now. I can still receive calls just fine from my Bluetooth pairing to my Android phone - which is the main reason I use the linkage for anyways.

Three weeks ago I got the Phonak Audeo P-90 rechargeable HAs through the VA. These replaced four year old Starkey Halo 2400s. The VA audiologist did a good job of setting them up for a first fit. I think the current app is kind of useless. Any custom fit doesn’t stay for long, the mute disappears at times, etc. One thing I did do with the app is turn-off the tap control for Siri/Facetime. I was adjusting my eyeglasses, the HAs took it as a tap command to place a Facetime call, selected a police department number from my contact list, and started dialing. I managed to cancel the call, but that tap feature is not for me.

Having the software and equipment to make other changes makes a difference. I have made some minor but useful changes so far. Left HA had a whistle off and on, fixed that. Added a couple of custom programs that are persistent (Phonak description of programs that don’t quit at the slightest bluetooth activity). Both are copies of programs in Autosense, but I can now edit them. By the way, I found that Autosense classified my music while driving as “noise”. Now I can select my Music 1 to listen to car music. Later I may edit Music 1 for more bass and a little noise reduction. But I do have a choice that is not available through the app.

1 Like

@brian_s How did you make these modifications? I’m new to HAs and Phonak, just got my L 70-R two days ago and the Phonak firmware/Android app keeps resetting my changes. For instance I’d like it to fire up Calm program instead of the Autosense on power-up, and for Streaming, I have the balance adjusted to almost mute the microphone so that I can hear the stream more clearly - all of these changes are reset. Is there a way for end users to make these changes (and others) permanent?

Came across your post because I was searching for setting a default program instead of the Autosense. I realize this is a pretty old thread :slight_smile:

Hi user 718. Short answer is that the end user probably cannot make the changes you mention permanent (or persistent). An audiologist experienced in using Phonak’s Target probably could, but may not want to do so.

Since my original post, Phonak has improved their app. I have used the app make my own custom settings based on existing settings. After a phone call or re-opening the app, I have to again manually select my custom setting, but I do not have to re-create it.

I have the same problem you do with Streaming, music in particular. I adjust the balance to almost mute surroundings. Next time I stream music, I have to adjust the balance again to almost mute the surroundings. Not hearing external audio creates a set of problems too.

As noted in my earlier post, I have made some minor changes to my HAs using Phonak’s Target. However I do not feel comfortable making wholesale changes to the setting and programs Target/Audiologist originally made.

Good luck with your HAs. I have been wearing them for twenty years or so now. These are so much better than my first ones. And way, way better than my Mother’s in the 1960s-1980s.

Brian

1 Like

These stay for my on my M70 and P70 but will reset when hearing aids are turned off over night.

1 Like

This streaming/external balance can be set directly using the buttons on the Phonak HAs. I imagine you prefer to mute the mics when there is traffic around, however in that case you might also listen to your music using cheapo earbuds. I just bought Back Bay Tempo 30s for such uses
https://www.amazon.com/Tempo-30-Sweatproof-Earphones-Headphones/dp/B09DLCG8BQ/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=1OAUUGXZ1RZU4&keywords=tempo+30+wireless+earbuds+for+small+ears&qid=1691742591&sprefix=Tempo+30%2Caps%2C174&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1.
These are pretty loud (my hearing loss is -20 to -70 dB) and come with a large set of tips, some of which produce near-perfect occlusion, yielding fantastic basses, if you support such fits. Reportedly they spit out 110 db
https://producerhive.com/buyer-guides/bluetooth-headphones/loudest-wireless-earbuds/
They are, sadly, not marketed in the EU- I suspect because of nanny legislation capping output volumes.

1 Like

Ah … ok, is there anything that can be done to make this a permanent setting? I.e., something the audiologist (or the DIY) can set? I haven’t figured out if it’s just once a day, or once a day per streaming device (phone and laptop usually). Be nice not to have to set this repeatedly.

I’ll have to check out how I might be able to do this via the buttons. Earbuds would require me to take out my HAs - I’d prefer not to have to do that, esp if I’m not home. Anyway, it’s still early in my HA experience, I’m sure I’ll figure out more ways of accommodating my needs as I use them more. Thanks for the post.

HA button behavior is set in Target; see below:

1 Like

Yes for audio like music and podcast but not for phone calls. Phone calls need the Mics on as it’s hands free.

Audiologist has to do it from the Target software.

2 Likes