myPhonak and myRoger phone apps - how do I get the TWO to work together?

I’ve got both myPhonak and myRoger phone apps on my Android cellphone. It can’t be rocket science, but I’m utterly confused as to how to use these apps in coordination with each other.

First off, myRoger app has NO way to adjust volume on my On iN V2 mic. DOH! I have to get out of my chair, cross the room, and manually turn the +/- up or down on the base unit to change the volume.

myPhonak app lets me adjust the volume or even mute my aids and ONLY be in “connect” mode via my older TV Connector for excellent sound streaming TV at night. But it doesn’t seem to do SQUAT for getting the Roger On iN V2 connected when the mic is in the cradle. No idea why! It’s as if the dang mic only works when I take it out of the cradle and place it near the TV speaker. It can’t be that option only, so I must be doing something wrong.

I’m pretty sure that to stream from the TV, I plug the Roger base unit into a power outlet and also into my TV’s audio source. The mic ON/OFF button is switched to OFF. The only time that button should be ON is if I take the mic out of its cradle and use it remotely. Correct?

I can just see WhiteHat telling me exactly what to do here, LOL! :wink:

Can anyone tell me why I should have both these apps on my phone anyway? I’d pick the myPhonak app over myRoger, but don’t want to miss out on any features since I have the On iN V2 mic. (In fact, I have TWO of these mics, but I’ve only paired ONE mic to ONE pair of hearing aids and the OTHER mic to my BACKUP aids.)

I’m ready to just remove the myRoger app from my phone - it seems absolutely worthless and useless to me. It has just TWO actions: under the settings gear wheel, there is “Roger On settings” - that just displays which one of my two Roger mics is active. The other action is the mic icon named “Roger On”. When I click that, it just takes me to the pre-sets screen with “Auto”, “Table”, “Pointing” and “Presenter”. That’s all!

Where I’m confused is that myPhonak app has not only the 4 programs set up by my audi, but one is called “RogerDirect + mic”. Doesn’t that effectively render myRoger USELESS?

Use MyPhonak. Big main volume bar.

The MyRoger app isn’t going to do much for you when it is in the cradle.

Yes

I can try? There are other folks here that may help, too.

From my perspective, the MyRoger app lets you override/lock the mode in the mic and pick pie-slices from the table mode. Other than that I don’t do much with other functions. I turned on multibeam for table mode. But I leave it on. I’m not renaming my mic.

That’s about it. I like the pie-slice settings.

When you listen via a streaming device, that program shows up in the myphonak app. You can switch away from your streamer, and then back if you like. Applies to both roger and tv connector.

WH

As always - YOU DELIVER! Thanks so much for breaking this down for me in bite-sized pieces. So! I didn’t know that myPhonak also had the streaming device displayed, cuz lately, I’ve been swapping between my old TV Connector (SO EASY TO USE!) and the complicated, annoying and poorer quality Roger On iN V2. I’ll try switching back to that device tonight and keep myPhonak open while streaming TV.

You convinced me to keep myRoger for now as I also find the directionality settings useful when I use the mic remotely.

As always - my HAT’S OFF to you! Big help! :grinning:

Honestly, if you never do the pie slice thing in table mode, you won’t miss much by deleting myroger. And you can always download it again if you need it.

WH

Yes, I’ve deleted and reinstalled myRoger app prob’ly 2 dozen times in the past 4 mos. It frustrates me, I DUMP it. Then I give it another chance and use the slices. But truly, I only find the device useful in its remote mode OUTSIDE of the cradle.

Tonight, I did a comparison test: watched half of “Skyfall” with the Roger, the other half with the old TV Connector. That old Connector WINS. The sound quality is rock solid. With the Roger, the sound fades in and out and is mostly SO LOW that I’m straining to even hear the movie! I’ve jacked up the + volume on the base as high as it’ll go; I’ve tinkered with the settings in myPhonak as best as I can, and still, the streaming sound is thin and almost like it’s under the complete suppression of Noise management.

I have an app’t with my audi tomorrow, so perhaps I’ll ask her about this, but I’m about ready to fling the mic and its base into a canal. So much money spent on such a flaky accessory with its impossible license xfer procedure and poor quality audio. Ironically, movies sound best with NO streaming, but our house lacks carpeting, so there’s a lot of reverb.

Anyway, I appreciate your insights and suggestions as I muddle through all these Phonak thingamabobs and stuff.

I believe above you said that you plug the Roger base into the sound out on your TV. If so, you will get better sound if you use a Toslink cable and plug it in to the optical outlet. That will also let you adjust the volume separate from the TV control if someone else is watching also. BTW, I never use the MyRoger app, but I haven’t removed it (yet).

1 Like

Sorry for the delay! Just back from a fabulous trip to Europe! :smile:
No, in fact, we just updated everything in our “wizard’s closet” here for the media room. I have a single (very long!) cable that runs from a JBL receiver to either the old TV Connector or the Roger V2 base. That way, I can switch between one or the other. I’m still using just the old Connector (better sound quality) cuz I’ve found that the Roger - for whatever reason - only streams a very poor, fade-in/fade-out kind of audio quality. I also NEVER use the lame Roger app.

I assume you now have optical to the connector ? You can buy a splitter for that and save the trouble of swapping over.
I hope you got a good price for the old $4000 receiver!:wink:

Nope! I just plug that long cable that’s connected to the JBL receiver into either the Roger or the TV Connector to stream TV audio. But seriously, of late, I’m only using the TV Connector. I just don’t have the energy or even interest to figure out why streamed sound is SO CRAPPY coming from the Roger V2. It didn’t used to fade in/out like it does now.

And I’m just TIRED of Roger’s freakin’ expensive, redundant, poor quality, user-unfriendly reality. The only time I plan to use it going forward is to point at the cell phone when in-laws call in for speakerphone catch-ups. Thassalll!

I d don’t have the same experience as you. I’ve said in our past conversations that the connector has the edge by 10% so I can’t understand why you should have poor performance.
You didn’t say if you were using optical?