My sudden hearing loss story, and thank you to forum

Thank you for your kind words, B, and sending wishes for good health your way as well.
You are definitely more resourceful and knowledgeable than I about all of this.
:sun_with_face:

1 Like

Please inquire if I can assist!Anytime!

I had the same thing happen to my left ear in 1995 at 40 years old . It’s my opinion that a competent otolaryngologist would consider this a medical emergency and quickly prescribe Prednisone in an attempt to reduce Cochlear inflammation and preserve residual hearing.

1 Like

I agree with Neville. I had the same thing happen to my left ear in 1995 at 40 years old . It’s my opinion that a competent otolaryngologist would consider this a medical emergency and quickly prescribe Prednisone in an attempt to reduce Cochlear inflammation and preserve residual hearing. During these flare ups my pure tones and word discrimination scores would fluctuate widely up on high drug dose and then way back down on taper off the drug leaving me with a severe profound loss in both ears. 27 years later I’m still getting by with hearing aids and currently discussing implants. One more thing, Neville have you ever lived in Rochester NY and a member of SHHH?

Tony

Nope. Why? Are you trying to unmask my secret identity? :wink:

No… I thought you might be this sound engineer Neville Davie from Rochester and a SHHH member from 27 years ago

1 Like

Nah, I’m just a puppy. 27 years ago I was still in my adolescence. Would have been very precocious to be a sound engineer.

Sorry sjb4 I just noticed your query. The blocked eustacian is apparant as the inner ear collects fluid /debris and results in the eardrum bulging outward and can be seen when they look. The MRI and Cat rule out other causes. I have had consult now with new ENT chap (previous one retired) and he is recommending to keep on with the hearing aid and not to repeat a clear out of fluid (surgery). The blockage would only return in time and it could be a short time. He also said the grommut was not needed in an adult so could do the clean out and not leave the opening in the eardrum which the grommut is. You would then have to be careful of not getting an infection in ear via the opening so earplugs when washing/swimming. He said the occasional pain was just a spasm of the eardrum due to the pressure of the fluid so should not become constant. Also the fluid in the inner ear could not affect the balance bones so that would not be a reason for dizziness. He would be happy to do the surgery if I wished and my now advanced age was not a problem. He did a 96 yrs old lady last week and restored her hearing!

2 Likes

Thanks,
Very helpful. Had an MRI yesterday so will see what’s next.

Thanks
Very helpful
Am still at around 55 so regular hearing aids for now.
MRI yesterday so will see what’s next

Im curious in case its ever suggested to me – the injection of prednisone thing because just offhand it doesnt sound like something i would seek out just for fun or to add it to my list of accomplishments. Is it Painful or Uncomfortable?

@kcsummerkc a SSHL is an emergency situation, where you need to seek medical help within the first few days post noticing the SSHL. Cortisone injection also is best given within the first few days as well. That is to get the best results from the cortisone injection. But sometimes the injection doesn’t work very well at all.

1 Like

The injection shouldn’t be very painful. They should numb the eardrum before piercing it, and the medicine is deposited into the inner ear to be absorbed by the inner ear from the middle ear. It might help, but I haven’t heard many reports where it did. But also, most cases I’ve heard were where ppl waited before going to the ENT.

WH

2 Likes

What is an SSHL? Not to sound stupid but I guess in today’s world I am.

Sudden high frequency hearing loss.
Hearing loss and terminology is a new world for all of us when we’re starting along this journey of hearing loss.

Per NIH

Sudden sensorineural (“inner ear”) hearing loss (SSHL), commonly known as sudden deafness, is an unexplained, rapid loss of hearing

If you’re OCD like me and wanted to see the actual words that correspond to SSHL

Huh - I wonder if that’s what happened when my left ear tanked. It was same as my right for years. My CI has been a great help. Had a visit with my 3 kids this past weekend and they all separately commented how much better I am hearing. “I don’t have to talk super loud.” “I don’t have to repeat everything.” And in one instance, I corrected what my daughter thought she heard someone say. We all got a good laugh out of that one.

2 Likes

Your posts really help me!

On the other hand, I didn’t know either. And I didn’t ask.

You sure aren’t stupid to me!

DaveL
Toronto