My sudden hearing loss story, and thank you to forum

Thank you Lyndsie! The dizzy spells went after about 4 days and another couple of days the sporadic pain in ear stopped also. But as it takes ages to get appointment with ENT etc I think best to follow up and get advice. I would hate to be on pain meds for something that has a mechanical fix. I still get the odd ‘jag’ of pain just to remind me it needs attention.

All to do with balance and the importance of two working ears for same not just for hearing! It is like having both eyes working together = 3D vision. I have one long and one short so I only appreciate a lovely landscape when wearing glasses.

1 Like

Thank you Lyndsie. Your very detailed report and chronology is very helpful as I am in the middle of dealing with my sudden hearing loss in my right ear. In my case I experienced the first loss in early April of 2022 by the time I visited an ENT I had regained almost all hearing in that ear, however the loss reoccurred in late May. I returned to the ENT within 2 weeks and was placed on steroids for two weeks. On my return visit my WRS dropped from 64 to 52 so no improvement. I have an MRI next week but an not optimistic it will reveal much since I am unable to use contrast dye with the MRI. I am already using hearing aids since I have some hearing loss in my left ear from my time in the army. I am not very confident in my ENT’s diagnosis, he seems to suffering from patient fatigue and could probably benefit from a change in profession. My question to you and annieoburns1. How is blockage of the eustachian tube distinguished from other causes. I had no other diagnostic tests other than the audiological evaluation. Also what level of loss requires bi cros hearing aids rather than the standard ones.
Thanks again.

Hi cyb4, my sympathy for your troubles, certainly not a fun time.

I did not get contrast dye with my MRI. I don’t know if this is due to different machines being used, or depends on what they’re looking for, so perhaps there’s a chance yours will be fine without it, too?

As for the cros hearing aid system, my experience is very limited and personal, but my ENT recommended this only after my WRS dropped to 28%. He said no regular hearing aid would help when it was that low. This is a good question, though, and I hope some of the experts on the forum are able to answer it for you better than I can.

As Neville mentioned it’s important to keep the nerve in the SSHL ear stimulated. Especially if you have plans for a CI in that ear somewhere in your future…

I had an SSHL 8 years ago. I kept wearing my HA in that ear all the time, not that I could hear much with it… When I spoke to my surgeon about continuing or not to wear it, he said don’t stop wearing it whatever you do. It will help in speech recognition quicker after getting a CI.

So I kept wearing it for a further 5 yrs, even though after the SSHL it was mostly useless to speech recognition. After my CI surgery I was for ever grateful for that single piece of advice… Simply because upon activation of CI I could understand some words through my CI. Full speech recognition followed quickly after that. Within 1 week I was hearing all speech quiet clearly.

Good luck on your hearing journey.

6 Likes

Wow,You have had quite a journey and I wish You better Health.I too lost my R Hearing last February and have Tinnitus.After several Bad Visits to a ENT Group which only reccomended a Prednisone shot into my eardrums after being on it orally for 20 days I took the bull by the horns myself and purchased Signia Charge and Go Hearing Ais on Ebay for cheap,programmed them myself via iPhone App and its a wonderful life besides some tinnitus as they have this setting.I just bought again on ebay new in the box Beltone Imagine with Charger for $86.00,these run $3600.00 each and are the latest technology.I fint that the Receiver is the problem in alot of cases,they must have the proper Power,Beltone has the new M&RIE with more Microphones.I can afford the best hearing aids but feel they are super over priced and theres only a handful of manufacturers.Good Luck!

2 Likes

Thank you for your kind words, B, and sending wishes for good health your way as well.
You are definitely more resourceful and knowledgeable than I about all of this.
:sun_with_face:

1 Like

Please inquire if I can assist!Anytime!

I had the same thing happen to my left ear in 1995 at 40 years old . It’s my opinion that a competent otolaryngologist would consider this a medical emergency and quickly prescribe Prednisone in an attempt to reduce Cochlear inflammation and preserve residual hearing.

1 Like

I agree with Neville. I had the same thing happen to my left ear in 1995 at 40 years old . It’s my opinion that a competent otolaryngologist would consider this a medical emergency and quickly prescribe Prednisone in an attempt to reduce Cochlear inflammation and preserve residual hearing. During these flare ups my pure tones and word discrimination scores would fluctuate widely up on high drug dose and then way back down on taper off the drug leaving me with a severe profound loss in both ears. 27 years later I’m still getting by with hearing aids and currently discussing implants. One more thing, Neville have you ever lived in Rochester NY and a member of SHHH?

Tony

Nope. Why? Are you trying to unmask my secret identity? :wink:

No… I thought you might be this sound engineer Neville Davie from Rochester and a SHHH member from 27 years ago

1 Like

Nah, I’m just a puppy. 27 years ago I was still in my adolescence. Would have been very precocious to be a sound engineer.

Sorry sjb4 I just noticed your query. The blocked eustacian is apparant as the inner ear collects fluid /debris and results in the eardrum bulging outward and can be seen when they look. The MRI and Cat rule out other causes. I have had consult now with new ENT chap (previous one retired) and he is recommending to keep on with the hearing aid and not to repeat a clear out of fluid (surgery). The blockage would only return in time and it could be a short time. He also said the grommut was not needed in an adult so could do the clean out and not leave the opening in the eardrum which the grommut is. You would then have to be careful of not getting an infection in ear via the opening so earplugs when washing/swimming. He said the occasional pain was just a spasm of the eardrum due to the pressure of the fluid so should not become constant. Also the fluid in the inner ear could not affect the balance bones so that would not be a reason for dizziness. He would be happy to do the surgery if I wished and my now advanced age was not a problem. He did a 96 yrs old lady last week and restored her hearing!

2 Likes

Thanks,
Very helpful. Had an MRI yesterday so will see what’s next.

Thanks
Very helpful
Am still at around 55 so regular hearing aids for now.
MRI yesterday so will see what’s next

Im curious in case its ever suggested to me – the injection of prednisone thing because just offhand it doesnt sound like something i would seek out just for fun or to add it to my list of accomplishments. Is it Painful or Uncomfortable?

@kcsummerkc a SSHL is an emergency situation, where you need to seek medical help within the first few days post noticing the SSHL. Cortisone injection also is best given within the first few days as well. That is to get the best results from the cortisone injection. But sometimes the injection doesn’t work very well at all.

1 Like

The injection shouldn’t be very painful. They should numb the eardrum before piercing it, and the medicine is deposited into the inner ear to be absorbed by the inner ear from the middle ear. It might help, but I haven’t heard many reports where it did. But also, most cases I’ve heard were where ppl waited before going to the ENT.

WH

2 Likes

What is an SSHL? Not to sound stupid but I guess in today’s world I am.

Sudden high frequency hearing loss.
Hearing loss and terminology is a new world for all of us when we’re starting along this journey of hearing loss.