My Jabra Enhance Pro 20 review

M&RIE stands for Microphone and Receive in ear. Instead of there just being a receiver (the part that makes the noise) in your ear, M&RIE also has a tiny microphone on the back of the receiver.

It helps (me) a bunch with the ability to localize sound. For me, coming from phonak marvels, it’s night and day. With my marvel’s, if one of my kids was playing a youtube video on their phone I just heard it in my hearing aids. I would have to look around the room to see where it was coming from. With M&RIE I can determine where that sounds is coming from way better.

3 Likes

From a cursory web search, it looks like one needs iPhone 11 or newer to support handsfree calling, which for GN ReSound devices debuted with the ReSound One hearing aid. ReSound Announces Hands-Free Calls for One Hearing Aids (hearingaidknow.com)

Michael Grossman-this is Donald Langford - married to Carol Klein - double cousin to your mother! Do you have a Costco store there?

1 Like

Thanks. I’m about to get the Pro 20 (have the 10), and a new iPhone, so I’ll be set.

3 Likes

I haven’t read all the posts in this thread, so I apologize if somebody already suggested this, but I had terrible call quality (for person on the other end) when I was using the LE audio connection. When I turned it off and just used Bluetooth, everything sounded fine to them and I haven’t had any any complaints since.

I’m about to get MIE installed on my Enhance Pro 20s. I have quite narrow (and short?) ear canals, they have told me. I hope the addition of the mic to the line-up of stuff attached to the dome that goes into the ear will not be more than I have comfortable room for. Does anyone have any idea about this? I’ll learn more in 2 weeks when I get the installation.

I would hope your Costco HCP can advise you on this. It probably makes a difference if your canal takes a sharp turn, too. The receiver is supposed to go far enough into the ear canal that the M&RIE mic is just at the opening of your ear canal. My left ear canal is short and narrow and takes a sharp turn. I have custom ReSound molds, and the M&RIE mics protrude out of my ear canals a little bit, about at the end of my tragus, whereas the ideal place is about the opening of the intertragic notch in terms of depth in the ear canal. I still think the sound is excellent, have a good sense of sound localization, and get pretty good wind suppression compared to the sound from the mics on the bodies of my Omnias, which are selectively on, the M&RIE mics off, in Front Focus mode.

Perhaps for someone wearing domes, the receivers can be inserted further in the ear. Don’t know if a power dome works for you, but with your loss, custom molds might do the best job of preventing feedback from the M&RIE mics and retaining bass in your ear canals. I hope your HCP gives good advice and allows you to go back to standard receivers at no charge if you don’t like the M&RIE mics. My audi told me switching out would be no problem, but I paid for custom molds to try the M&RIE receivers.

Source: https://www.earthslab.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/helix.jpg

Me too. I think it’s worth the risk that I might not like them. Money means nothing in the world of hearing care, right?

Ummm, I’ve been told there are many Michael Grossman’s. I think I’m one of the others in this case. Growing up there was a girl whose dad’s name was Michael Grossman. He passed away when I graduated college, half my friends go lt scared and thought it was me.

I hear custom molds are fairly inexpensive at Costco

1 Like

We always enjoyed Otto’s visits back when he came to America for business deals

Thank you for all of this information, Jim !! :pray:

1 Like

I’ve payed $35 a piece at Costco for custom molds.

3 Likes

Hearing on the Accessibility widget. Many times when I open the widget, it not “all there”, that is, many of the functions don’t appear. I need to restart my iPhone 8 to fix it. Quite annoying. Sometimes this is true even when it’s been a cold start.

Maybe you need to check with ReSound or Jabra as to whether your iPhone 8 and whatever version of iOS it’s running are still compatible with the HAs you have now.

That’s likely it. Another reason to update my iPhone! Thx.

1 Like

Great report. Which dones are you using?

I am getting ready to get a new pair of hearing aids. Had a pair from Miracle Ear years ago but never liked them and finally gave up. Hearing has been getting worse and I just want to be able to hear a conversation now and the. One of the things I hated about the ME hearing aids was digging them out of my ear every time I answered the phone.

I started looking again because I ran into someone that had bluetooth on his hearing aids and was able to get calls on them. My research has lead me to Jabra but from what I am seeing they only work with iPhone? I have an Android phone and really don’t want to have to change over to iPhone.

Here’s some compatibility listings. Jabra Enhance Pro Compatibility | Jabra Support

Not true. The Jabras work great with Android phones. The only thing you don’t get is “hands free” calling, so you have to talk into your phone’s microphone when on a call. I don’t mind this at all because I like people being able to see that I’m on my phone and not just talking into the air like some sort of nutjob. :grinning:

2 Likes