My hearing journey starts again

@rothlev1 it’s 6:30 am in Aus. My appointment is for 3pm this afternoon.

I have it all fixed now thankfully. I have 2 audiologists one looks after my CI and the other looks after my HA. The one that looks after my HA doesn’t know anything about pairing HA’s to BT. In 2 weeks I have a trial of the Lynx2 so we do this all over again, and I have to go back into the city to get everything paired properly again. What a pain in the butt.

Somehow I missed all this. Congrats. It sounds like you are well on your way. I feel like we should all celebrate!

2 Likes

The long run goal is what really counts. You are doing great

1 Like

Sounds like things are getting sorted out - after frustration. Great news that most is well again!

Why do you think so?
EAS does not mean that the lowest frequency stimulated by an electrode starts at 750Hz or above. It depends on the length of the electrode array being inserted. As far as I know deaf_piper has a full length. She can turn off the acoustic part (of EAS) in the case she completly looses her residual hearing. That’s great for her!

1 Like

@Dani I think he’s meaning it’s because I’ve only got 21 electrodes working. I’m guessing because I have no idea either.

And yes you are correct I can remove the EAS when/if my residual goes south I do have a 522 long array.

Looking at @Deaf_piper’s audiogram tells me she she has 750 hz at 80 db.

Golden rule is electric starts at 70 db is where hearing aid starts no longer be effective. cutoff starts at 70 db from acoustic hearing to electric hearing.

Read about your experience with audio for HA. As I told u I have the N6 and Resound Linx 3D07 RIE hearing aid. I have the Kanso processor and was fortunate enought to get a "Cochlear Nucleus Kanso Sound Processor Bimodal Paring and Streming Manual for my contact at Cochlear. Not sure but perhaps your CI person can obtain something like I have that was in conjunction with Cochlear and Resound.

@touches thank you my CI Aud has got it all paired for me now. It’s working really well thank heavens. Until I try the Lynx :grimacing: and have to go through it all again.

1 Like

Hi: I have a MedEl Sonnet CI in my right ear - Phonak Naida HA in my left. I have had this for just over a year now and still my brain is adapting to the sounds generated.
The Sonnet has 12 electrodes and my insert length was 31.5 mm. Medel try to get as deep as they can in the cochlea to help with base sounds.
See if you can get a copy of your map specifics by electrode from your audi. With medel info it shows the mid point frequency for each electrode so you know what each electrode contributes. In addition on line you can get a Tone Generator - www.synnalski.com/tone-generator/ you can istall this on your laptop or ipad for instance. Then you can set the frequency generated at the midpoint of each electrode and see how it sounds. Can also compare for each tone frequency you you select how it sounds on your HA in the other ear. Does the HA sound match the CI sound? Don’t be surprised if they sound a little different for some frequencies. In time the CI sound will match the HA acoustic sound.

2 Likes

I’ve just received my 3 month assessment results. My Aud was a bit slow getting them out to me. I’m still trying to figure out what they all mean.

3 Likes

Tremendous change piper. Congrats. Speech in noise scores dropping into the normal range is pretty impressive.

2 Likes

Wow! I’m impressed. I think people who rule out cochlear implants for themselves are eliminating a potentially good treatment option.

1 Like

@MDB I sat on the fence for 18 months, do I, don’t I. I wish I didn’t sit and wait now…Mind you it’s not easy, the rehab is time consuming. If people aren’t prepared to commit to doing the daily rehab they are wasting everyone’s time…I do 2 hours every day, without fail, but the result are proving to be worth every minute of rehab.
My surgeon showed me some of the data sheets he’s collect. The evidence is pointing to the sooner you get the CI done the better the results you will achieve, in the shorter time frame… The longer you haven’t heard sound in your ear the longer it’s going to take to get good results.
The surgeon refused to do my L) ear due to it being congenital loss. He was concerned that my R) ear may have been a bit long at 3 yrs. He stressed the importance of hard work at rehab was needed to achieve good results.

2 Likes

Great news. It looks like all your hard work is doing wonders. Congratulations!

@rothlev1 everyone’s experiences with a CI is different. I was lucky I could understand speech from activation day. So rehab for me is just listening to audiobooks, streaming anything I can get my hands on. At the start I had to do just words where I listened and repeated.
Hearing through a CI is different, it starts out very robotic, and with time it starts to normalise to a human sounding voice. I’m in the middle at the moment, where a mans voice is more normal sounding than a female voice.

1 Like

wow - what a story. best wishes and continued success.

Eh, you can’t second-guess past piper. She had less information to go on that current piper does. And it’s a big decision.

2 Likes

@Neville I know it’s a stupid reaction, But fear of the unknown is very real! Along with hindsight!

I went for a HA adjustment today, my Aud was going through the results with me. She kindly printed out my missing page of my 3 month report from the CI clinic. My audiogram, umm jeepers, my residual is in normal range!:flushed::blush: It’s not been in this range for 40+ yrs.

4 Likes