My hearing journey starts again

@MDB I sat on the fence for 18 months, do I, don’t I. I wish I didn’t sit and wait now…Mind you it’s not easy, the rehab is time consuming. If people aren’t prepared to commit to doing the daily rehab they are wasting everyone’s time…I do 2 hours every day, without fail, but the result are proving to be worth every minute of rehab.
My surgeon showed me some of the data sheets he’s collect. The evidence is pointing to the sooner you get the CI done the better the results you will achieve, in the shorter time frame… The longer you haven’t heard sound in your ear the longer it’s going to take to get good results.
The surgeon refused to do my L) ear due to it being congenital loss. He was concerned that my R) ear may have been a bit long at 3 yrs. He stressed the importance of hard work at rehab was needed to achieve good results.

2 Likes

Great news. It looks like all your hard work is doing wonders. Congratulations!

@rothlev1 everyone’s experiences with a CI is different. I was lucky I could understand speech from activation day. So rehab for me is just listening to audiobooks, streaming anything I can get my hands on. At the start I had to do just words where I listened and repeated.
Hearing through a CI is different, it starts out very robotic, and with time it starts to normalise to a human sounding voice. I’m in the middle at the moment, where a mans voice is more normal sounding than a female voice.

1 Like

wow - what a story. best wishes and continued success.

Eh, you can’t second-guess past piper. She had less information to go on that current piper does. And it’s a big decision.

2 Likes

@Neville I know it’s a stupid reaction, But fear of the unknown is very real! Along with hindsight!

I went for a HA adjustment today, my Aud was going through the results with me. She kindly printed out my missing page of my 3 month report from the CI clinic. My audiogram, umm jeepers, my residual is in normal range!:flushed::blush: It’s not been in this range for 40+ yrs.

4 Likes

I’ve just had my 6 month mapping, to say it’s made a huge improvement would be an understatement. With the hybrid and the high frequencies it hard to get rid of popeye robotic speech. So my Aud fiddled around with her computer reducing my highs and trying to get rid of popeye. Whatever she did I’m grateful she has given me a lot more clarity. When I’m next in at the clinic I’ll get her to give me a bit more clarity still. Then all will be normal, I will be grateful to be rid of popeye.

It’s been a big 6 months, I’ve gone from struggling to hear in most situations. Now the ease of hearing is a pleasure. To be able to participate in conversations without saying “sorry could you repeat that”

Edited to add - I also had my 6 month post op check with my surgeon. He was talking about my left ear and it’s ?being congenital. Then penny dropped, it was one of those moments when I just remembered I was born 7 weeks premature. He just said “well that gives me the answer as to why your L ear is deaf. Fingers crossed your hearing doesn’t drop off in that ear. As it will be a struggle for you to get a good result” I asked him usually isn’t prem deafness bilateral and he said yes, your one of the very lucky ones who are unilateral, and no ones knows why.

7 Likes

Am so glad all continues to go well. Best wishes for ongoing success.

1 Like

thank you for the update. Wishing you continued success on your journey. Keep posting. Yours is a truly remarkable story.

2 Likes

9 months tomorrow since surgery. I’m loving my bimodal hearing. I’ve at long last got the balance between the CI & Resound right. But I’m giving serious consideration to ditching the the hybrid attachment. While I enjoy the high frequencies when listening to things eg music, but it’s the high frequencies that cause all the popeye type sounding speech. While it has gone to a certain extent he’s still yapping away.

SIGH…I’m having connection issues… I had my processor replaced 3 months ago but the issue still remains. So I’m biting the bullet and getting a new iPhone 11 tomorrow. My current iPhone is an 8 and the iOS is 13.3.1 so it’s up to date.

Now I’m the original IT dummy, I can’t pair anything. Not even one at a time! But when I have to pair 3 simultaneously just plain forget it! Not a hope in hell. So it looks like another trip to the Cochlear Care Centre coming up very early next week. Fingers crossed that when I back up my new iPhone all my pairings back up as well :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

I worked for me the last time I did it. But that was iPhone 5s to iphone 7+

Sadly no, all my pairings didn’t come through onto my new iPhone 11. All the MFI stuff did but not my BT pairings. Which doesn’t make one bit of sense to me. So I’m off into the CCC today for some help. As I can’t get my processor to go into pairing mode. Sigh!!!

What a day in at the E&E I have had today. I’m sad that today is my last day in at the CIC because she did work hard to solve all my issues today after my email to her. I did like her as I’ve had her since 2018, when I had my initial assessment. I always felt she gave an honest opinion, not one that she felt that I wanted to hear. Today marks the last day of my acute care needs hence the move to the CCC.

First up she did an audiogram, thought about it, went and discussed my audiogram with another aud. They both came in and discussed their feelings and thoughts with me. They both felt I would be better going with full acoustic mode as they didn’t think I had enough residual for a hybrid EAS. Considering all the issues I’ve had I was very happy to try the acoustic mode. Oh boy! What a huge instant difference it’s made. NO MORE POPEYE! After 15 months of listening to him yak away, I’m very happy to hear that he’s gone… That static has gone, the noise that was bothering the kids has gone, HAPPY DAYS! All my the other issues have just gone, it was the EAS causing all my problems.

My scores for my supposed 12 month assessment at 15 months are as follows.
WRS with CI 82% was 28% pre op. BIL with HA 90% was 36 pre op.
Sounds correct with increasing white noise.
CI 86% BIL with HA 96% while doing CI ear I had constant white noise going in my L ear plus the increasing noise from the speaker.
Continual White noise in HA ear increasing background noise through the speaker.
CI only 2%
Not sure what this is except my aud said the lower the better.
We Aussies sure do get it tough with this white noise :poop::poop::poop: during assessments…
From here I’ve been transferred down the road to the CCC, for all my future mapping for the remainder of my life.

To say that I’m stoked with today’s outcome of all my issues and my results I’m one very happy little camper… :dancer:t2::blush:

7 Likes

@Deaf_piper great to hear from you. Now your hearing journey starts again again :slight_smile:

@Dani I’m just glad all my assessments are finished, done and dusted as we Aussies say… Because the white noise with increasing background noise and people talking loudly through the speaker are total BULL​:poop::poop::poop::poop:… Especially when you have to try and work out what the sentences are the lady is saying…

Do you have assessments like this?

Yes we have. After each adjustment I have to do “guess” 20 one-syllable words and 20 five-word-sentences within different amount of white-noise. The latter is to find out SNR. Normal hearing is around -9dB, at my last two appointments I had -0.5dB (the lower the better). In any case the tests are done only with my CI.

1 Like

I’m pleased for you.

Must be nice to not have your CI ear with anything in now (the dome).

2 Likes

Thank you @Zebras it’s very different I must say after having molds or domes for many years. I have a little bit of useful natural hearing coming through, every little bit helps.

1 Like

@Deaf_piper so glad to hear they sorted out those mappings from hell issue and that they put you on the even better path! Awesome results you have there! Congrats, you did tremendous job!

Congratulations.
Impressive numbers and fixed so many issues too.
Looking at your audiogram, will you get the second implant?
Appreciate your detailed update.