My hearing is now too good!

Hi,

I’ve got Phonak P90’s with slimtip custom moulds, and stream with both Bluetooth and Phonak TV Connectors.

I recently went to a Wishbone Ash (I’m that old!) concert and recorded a couple of songs on my phone. I have to say, that my P90’s were useless in this concert, as their feedback control robbed me of the best frequencies, so I wore some 8 year old Spice+ aids with closed domes. The sound was brilliant, although (being at the front) the vocals were slightly out of the mix due to speaker placement. Being a guitar player, I was happy with this.

Anyway, streaming these recordings to my aids, sounds really really good. The guitars, bass and drums sound just as I remembered in the theatre.

However, when I stream it to the TV (or play it through my phone speakers) for my wife to hear, she says it sounds awful. TV speakers aren’t very good anyway, but it’s frustrating that I can hear so much better than those with no hearing loss!

Anyone else get frustrated by this?

Peter

1 Like

Peter, remove the weakest link!
Seriously I get a lot of enjoyment from the tv connector and the phone music. I think it’s the base that makes the difference. I have full moulds and no vent. I keep a recording of ELO on the sky box to do a quick check. I still remember the LP tracks- probably you do too with your background.

2 Likes

I keep a recording of the heavy metal band Volbeat from Glastonbury 22. Their sound is so good, I use it to test my Roger stuff :slight_smile:

@PeterH I thought you’ve had a Roger On or Roger Select, were they not effective in theater?

@Baltazard

How can you use a Roger in a theatre?

I’ve just got cheap ticket for live theatre on Monday but have this feeling I won’t hear much.

@Zebras Isn’t one option is to use the Roger ON as pointer?

@PeterH I was interested in your comment that your old Spice HA’s performed better than your Paradise at a concert. Was this a general observation or just your experience at the concert?

@Baltazard

No good the pointer unless you’re at the front and in the middle, I believe?

It will just pick up the people in front of me.

It sure sounds like you need a music program on your new aids.

Typically the fancy noise reduction technology is turned off for a music program.

Some have reported minimizing compression helps too. This you may not be able to be done on your Phonak aids since compression is a global setting for all programs.

Ha ha absolutely brilliant!

1 Like

@Zebras Ah ok,
Maybe worth sitting in the front row, or ask if they have any facility for HoH.
Is that in London the live theater ?

@Baltazard

No it’s in my main city where I live.

I’m not far from the front but I’m not at the front.

They have these headphones suitable for hearing people to amplify slightly. They don’t have any other assistance for people who would actually struggle to hear. It’s stupid.

My Cineworld also only has headphones as well. :flushed:

1 Like

Didn’t use them in theatre

@Gilbert

I think they worked best because of the domes and thin tubes. They amplified some of my missing frequencies, but also let in the mids and bass through the domes.

The Marvels have thick tubes and full ear moulds. They didn’t sound natural, but that may be down to my programming.

My favourite Paradise P90s with slim tips were worst of all, in this scenario.

I put this down to the volume level, and Phonak’s Feedback suppression really kicking in. All the top end was removed, to the extend that I wanted to go to the mixing desk and make changes. I took a hearing aid out, and then I could hear the high frequencies!!

Hi. I too have Phonak 90 aids and reasonably happy with them. I had been streaming and on video calls so the batteries were getting low. I pulled out a set of Jabra wireless headphones that i hane not used for a couple of years and i was amazed that when streaming music it sounded absolutely fantastic. I now feel disappointed that i have the top of the range aids and the headphones beat then as far as streaming sound quality goes. The aida were tuned to correct my hearing loss and as i said im happy. If only the headphones would do my hearing loss as well as streaming i would be absolutely delighted.

@user1098
Do you have domes, slimtips or C.Shells, as that can make a difference with streaming?

The sound seems more rounded with the Jabra plugs. I guess my aids are tuned more for speech while yje earphones are not. I have had C shells as well as silicone plugs and a full in the ear mould. The C shells seem the best.