My Experience with the Sony CRE E-10

C-20 released, haven’t seen E-20 yet.

I have the E-10, thought they would be good for backups but I seem to be wearing then more as primary aids. They sound as good as my new Phonaks and better for music. But, the limited Bluetooth is a problem for me.

Oops! Yes, you’re right. But I expect that an E-20 is on its way some time this fall.

Unfortunately IX platform retains the same BT chip of AX platform with all of its limits. I’m quite certain that there are no hardware changes for IX platform at all, just software.
I was planning to get them as backups too, but it’s hard to justify over AX version. I’ll wait for next gen.

1 Like

I agree. I’ve worn both the AX and the IX. I didn’t notice much of a difference. In some ways I preferred the AX - at least initially.

The IX platform will support Bluetooth LE Audio and Auracast when the new firmware arrives.
It can’t have the same BT chip as the AX.
All the fitters I’ve spoken to say the BT issues have been resolved.
Do you have a link with this information?

It’s already available.

Yep exactly, the manufacturers have a habit of doing things like this.

1 Like

This was discussed some time ago, and I no longer have access to all the details. The chip is the same; otherwise, they would have had to re-certify it with the Bluetooth SIG, which they didn’t. At the time, this information was publicly available via Bluetooth Studio, but it has since been closed.

I’m also a developer who works directly with these devices, and I have no reason to believe they differ in any way. Additionally, as I’ve mentioned before, Signia’s developers left a poorly hidden menu in the phone app that allows you to probe the devices (and the app itself) for additional information.

I have a small suspicion that they’re not fully LE Audio compatible, but will have to dig a bit before confirming.

On a side note, I’m a Signia user myself, but I have to say, their software stack is an utter pile of crap—everything from the phone app to the fitting software. Even though I like the devices, this will strongly influence my next choice.

Who told you that? It’s absolutely not true, it’s a matter of firmware not hardware, the requirement is that the base hardware is already BT 5 of course, which it is.

It’s nothing new, they’ve been doing it for a long time, and it’s not unique to Signia. Artificialy creating level tiers and generations with small software (and overhyped) changes.
Do you think that 3, 5 and 7 levels have some hardware differences too?

1 Like

It would be interesting to see that hidden menu. How do you access it?

Wow, really?

I’m about to purchase new hearing aids.
Would you recommend ditching Signia/Rexton IX/Reach for the Oticon/Philips Intent/9050?

I saw this on a Hearing Tracker post:

At this writing, ReSound Nexia and Jabra Enhance Pro 20 are currently enabled for Auracast. Hearing aids that are “Auracast-ready” (needing only a firmware update to enable Auracast) include Signia IX, Oticon Intent, Philips 9050, Rexton Ready, as well as the JLab HEAR OTC hearing aid. For cochlear implants, the Cochlear Nucleus 8 sound processor is Auracast ready.

In theory, Auracast requires LE Audio, which requires BT 5.3.

So the Bluettoth 5.3 chip is the same as 5.2 chip, but with more software features and no hardware differences?
They shouldn’t make a new BT version for this.

Like Apple, the hardware specs say my MacBook has Bluetooth 5.2, but after upgrading to the latest OS it shows Bluetooth 5.3.

Not at all, just disabled features.

You have to drop the idea of BT version being tied to hardware revisions. While it is often required for major BT versions it is not for minor.
Of course it might appear as such, but it’s mostly due to forced obsolescence by manufacturers.

I would at least try them (the Oticons). They’re more technically advanced, overall.

I have Stylettos AX while my niece got IX ones recently, which I’ve programmed for her and tried for a bit. For me, it’s not worth it. The heavily marketed speech in group feature isn’t even entirely new feature. They just grouped the old beam forming features into a newly named one (you can even ungroup it and see all the old ones).

What are you upgrading from?

I wouldn’t recommend “ditching” just because your not sure about the bluetooth version, the Phillips use a totally different way of working (rebranded Sonic/Bernafon) the Signia models are an excellent candidate and just as good for anyone, but only you’ll know which you prefer after a trial, the rebranded models (Rexton) from Costco have a fantastic price point, plus if you wanna DIY, Connexx software is pretty easy enough to navigate, and yes I use Signia among others (sorry never liked the Oticon way of doing things)

On top of that they all have shitty accessories situation. The only ones with decent choice are Widex and Phonak with Resound updating two of theirs to LE A recently. I would wait with Widex till next generation though.
Also, IMHO Signias require either a very very good fitter or DIYing.

Well I can’t disagree, but luckily people don’t have to use them, actually the StreamLine for tv isn’t so bad ( but yeah mass production as even Oticon users it) the whole accessories “thing” needs to be dropped, this is the point of LE Audio with Auracast, unfortunately I’ve been totally disappointed with the roll out, it should be up and running everywhere by now, just taking far too long…

1 Like

Oh, I agree entirely. However, I suspect they won’t give it up without a fight. Since I’m currently doing two things—firstly, developing streaming and control software for hearing devices, and secondly, planning to upgrade my own—I’m observing the whole situation unfold in great detail.

1 Like

I’m upgrading from Signia Insio 7px CIC.
One of them just broke, so it’s time for a change.

I want to buy the most technologically advanced hearing aids, which is why I’m considering the Oticon/Philips Intent 1/9050 after 40+ years of using Siemens/Signia.

I have discarded both the Phonak I90 Sphere and the ReSound/Jabra Nexia 9/EP20.

I’m wary of changing brands, as most audiologists say it takes a while to get used to the new sound processing.

Different how? Stripped down?

The Rexton Reach is my pick so far, but I’ll try both the 9050 and the Reach at Costco.

A NoahLink Wireless 2 for DIYing is also in my shopping cart.

I don’t use any accessories.

That’s a different matter. If you’re considering moving to RICs it will be a significant upgrade no matter what you’ll pick. I would try both Signias and Oticons [or their Costco counterparts].

1 Like

@pmc1978, I did a full trial with both the Rexton Reach and the Oticon Intent. I have settled on the Rexton Reach.

If my priority were speech in the most challenging, noisy situations, Oticon Intent wins hands down. Their technology is simply amazing at separating speech from noise in these most challenging situations.

But as my life is organized right now, speech in the most difficult noisy situations is not my priority. And when I am in those situations, it’s not critical that I hear and understand the maximum amount possible.

What surprised me in my trial with the Intent is that it gave me no advantage in ordinary, everyday conversation where I continue to miss words. Even after being adjusted by the audiologist, based on my experience in the trial.

What bith shared in common was a pleasant, accurate rendition of normal environmental sounds and speech. Both provided a normal rendition of my own voice even with closed domes.

I am pleased with my choice of the Rexton Reach (Signia Pure C&G IX). It does what I need it to do. I still miss some words just as I did with the Intent, but I believe that is an issue with my hearing loss is going to be able to correct. I certainly wasn’t going to pay $5000 for the intent vs $1500 for the Reach. It was simply not worth the difference for me.

If speech comprehension in the most noisy, challenging situations were critical for me, I would spend the additional money on the Intent without hesitation. It is excellent.

I see Oticon and Philips being equated at times in this conversation. I have not seen any evidence that the Intent and the 9050 are equivalent. I have trialed half a dozen hearing aids in the past year, so I encourage you to trial as many as you need to. It’s just that I would treat the Intent and the 9050 as two separate hearing aids and not equivalent.

I would also encourage you to listen to your body. What works well for one of us dies not necessarily work as well for another. What matters is what works for you.

2 Likes

Will do. I’m excited to give the RICs another try. I think I will benefit from the extra power and features.

I tried some RICs (Pure 7P) in 2008 and they were awful. The earmolds were huge and uncomfortable. I also didnt like placing the phone above my ear to talk.
So I went back to CICs.

I’ll try both the Rexton Reach and Philips 9050.

My life is far from organized :rofl:

I usually meet my friends in restaurants, bars, or concerts, so I’d like to be able to hear in those places.

I also take long flights (12+ hours), so I need to hear in those situations as well (planes, airports, taxis, trains, stations). In this scenario, the Reach wins as their battery life is great.

Don’t the Reach work well in these situations?

I reside in South America, and it is unfeasible to obtain the most recent technology at reasonable prices.
Phonak carries tech from 2018.
Philips carries the 9010.
Signia carries the Styletto 5AX, and it costs $8,200/pair
Oticon is the only one that carries the latest tech (Intent 1), but it costs $11,000/pair.
No trials, no refunds, no L&D insurance and the warranty is only 1 year.
Custom earmolds are made locally at some workshop and their quality isn’t great, unlike the US where the manufacturer itself makes the earmolds.

It doesn’t make sense to buy them here, so I need to go to the US for some weeks.
Costco takes about 1 week to have them in store, so my trial period would be 1-2 weeks. They must also order custom earmolds from Rexton/Philips.

I’ll try to trial both the Reach and the 9050 in 10 days, as I’ll only be in the US for a short period.

This is causing me to question my preference for the Reach.
However, I don’t think the noise is extreme either. I have some good low frequencies, so I just reduce the volume of the hearing aids to be able to hear better in noisy places.

I read that somewhere in this forum. Philips and Oticon share the hardware, but not the software.

Exactly! Thanks for your post.

Some of you might be interested in watching this lengthy marketing video about the cre c20.

The solitary comment beneath the video is mine.