My Experience with the Sony CRE E-10

I have no words… This explains a lot

2 Likes

Ooooh a manufacturer or tester using something to give them a test advantage…… (VW, Ford, Mercedes Diesel anyone?)

Also, this is a pretty good reason why in-situ testing of hearing aids is fairly redundant. Tone tests are pointless due to feedback managers, speech testing is better, but the repeatability of speech tests even within closed conditions isn’t great. Then you get to real-world factors which pretty much invalidate everything above.

I can’t really see any deception going on here. Isn’t it normal for most in the canal aids to use closed domes?

1 Like

There was no deception. In fairness to all involved, the Sony E-10’s are not open-fit hearing aids. They are an ear bud style - just like the Signia Active Pros, of which they are a duplicate, and just like other ear bud style hearing aids which are out there. They were tested the way they were designed to be used.

Hearing Aids (non-OTC) have no defaults, when it comes to domes, it’s a choice of the fitter. And it’s especially egregious in the case of CRE/Stylettos since they’re using the same type of click domes.

1 Like

There is no fitter in the case of OTC hearing aids like the Sony CRE-E10. The kit comes with closed sleeves standard.

Yeah, I know that (I said non-OTC). But in the case of non-OTC HAs they could have and should have picked closed domes for tests. It is widely known that domes affect performance of speech in noise.
There are easily accessible papers and presentations on the topic, from all major brands, some available via audiologyonline.com .

3 Likes

Yes, I know . . . and I suspect that they do too. I suggest that you contact them with the good advice.

Here is a review from Soundly about the CRE-C-10 and the CRE-E-10

You can also see hearingtracker’s own respective here.

2 Likes

I find it insane that Sony removed Android streaming capabilities from CRE-E10 while rebadging them from Signia…

1 Like

Hi Reginald

The Signia equivalent, the Active Pro, only streams to iPhone, same as the Sony.

Amazon has them on a sale today for $798.00 Amazon does not mention how long the sale will last.

That’s the c10, not the e10.

The e10 however is also on sale.

I don’t know. If the Sonys handle speech in noise better than the Oticon Reals or Intents, I’m expecting better results than with my audiologist-tuned HAs.

I’ve worn both the SONY CRE E-10 and the Oticon Intents. The Intents are amazing in how well they preserve speech in noise. The Sony’s are surprisingly good for an OTC but they are not in the same class as the Intents. If speech-in-noise were my priority - which it is not - the Intents would be my choice hands down.

They do not, the info about them being better in noise comes from HearingAdvisor scores. And the scores are higher due to the fact that they used closed domes where with other devices they used open or less occlusive setups.
It was discussed here and their defense was that those are the defaults provided by manufacturers.

They’re all discounted because the new ones are coming out.

1 Like

New model Sony CRE-C20 released just a fews ago as well.

Thanks! Well, the Intents cost 5x more! :grimacing:

Wow! This is big news.

The Sony CRE E-10 is an OTC version of the Signia Active Pro. If I’m not mistaken, the Active Pro doesn’t even use the AX technology (split processing) but the earlier X platform. Signia now has an Active Pro IX and I’ll assume that this Sony CRE E-20 is an OTC version of it. This means that this new Sony device now incorporates split processing AND multi-stream processing. In other words, it jumps forward 2 generations of technology.