My experience upgrading from Oticon More 1 to Real 1

Just upgraded from More 1 to Real 1, had the Real a few weeks now. As far as I can tell, almost no perceptible difference - certainly no period of adjustment needed like when I have upgraded previously. But I needed a backup pair so wasn’t too worried about this outcome. Here’s how I found the two new features:

Sudden sound optimiser: very hard to detect and seems to be reluctant to kick in in normal levels. I used the loud click of a light switch and clapping as a test. The more I dialled up the sound stabiliser (I self program) the more it muffled the noise. But at medium level (default) it’s quite conservative - almost imperceptible. Not sure whether to kick it into maximum as it might (should?) affect speech comprehension. Still struggle with loud noises like cutlery clashing and coffee machines in cafes so will be asking my audiologist about other ways to help with sudden sounds.

Wind and handling: went on a bike ride on seafront yesterday and didn’t hear any wind at all. Probably an improvement! Last model was excellent too so hard to tell. Handling I can hear it compensating for - sometimes. Like with sudden sounds, probably quite conservative. But I feel like I’m swapping the usual brushing noise for that odd digital noise you get when it’s struggling to dampen a sound - sort of warbly. So not too impressed with this but I don’t have much issue with handling anyway.

All in all I’m a believer in investing even if it’s a 2% improvement as that can really add up over the years. But hard to justify this purchase! Would be interested to hear anyone else’s experience if they’ve made a similar jump.

2 Likes

I went from the Opn1 to the Real1, so I can’t comment on the differences between the More1 and Real1. But my experience with the Sudden Sound Stabilizer is a little different than yours. I have always been bothered by sudden sounds, like dishes clinking, so initially I had my audi set it to high (which is setting 3 of 5). I thought the default medium setting (which is 2 of 5) might not be enough. But I found that high was too much, so I had the audi put it back to medium. I found that for me, the medium setting took that painful edge off sudden sounds, but as we know everyone’s experience can be very different.

That said, I found that even on the medium setting, the Sudden Sound Stabilizer really wrecked music (clipped a lot of it). I guess music can have a lot of sudden sounds. I’m a “set it and forget it” type of guy and have never had any other programs other that the default general program. However, now I have reluctantly added the MyMusic program, which as best I can tell disables the Sudden Sound Stabilizer (maybe someone can confirm this?)

So when I tested the Sudden Sound Stabilizer with clinking dishes using the general program vs. the MyMusic program, I could tell that for me the Sudden Sound Stabilizer did make a nice difference even with the medium setting.

My experience with the Wind and Handling Stabilizer is pretty much like your experience.

1 Like

Yes, MyMusic disables all the Speech Enhancement, and other settings which can distort music.