My experience going from Widex to Oticon to Starkey trial

You have a lot better low frequencies than most with a ski slope. I would say I would think so, but don’t know for sure.

1 Like

My understanding is when domes are changed, adjustments by Audi are necessary. Is this true? Audi told me this.

1 Like

With Widex absolutely. For example fitted with domes-3db gain required in 1 ear & 3 dB increase in volume for both. When changed to custom, sensogram rerun and no amendments required as custom gives extra clarity. Keeping the settings as before would then have meant the above changes on top of fitting for different moulds and made the hearing fitting incorrect.

Yes, when different style or size domes or earmolds are used feedback tests should be ran again. In situ fitting and REM should also be ran.

But, if you are just replacing in kind domes, no need for REM, in situ or feedback tests ran.

In other words, if the seal or leakage around the domes or earmolds changes these tests need to be ran again. This is my understanding of this.

1 Like

Molds are always preferable with the high frequency loss you have.
also, much better fit than domes. My Audi’s all prefer molds.

1 Like

How was experiance with marvell??

See my post Phonak Audeo M90-R VS Oticon OPN S from yesterday.
It’s personal preference, but I prefer the Oticon

3 Likes

Went back to audi yesterday to swap the S2 for S1. She did rem on both S1 and the moments and made adjustments to both. Also had a very thorough hearing test, longest one I’ve ever had anywhere.

My hearing has been giving me fits the past few days. I’m having fullness in ears and when that happens, my hearing goes to crap, even with aids. Everything, especially voices, vibrate.

So it’s been hard to evaluate the HAs but I can tell after the rem and adjustments both are better. S1 are less tinny sounding and moments are better with sudden loud noise. S1 pull in more sound, from everywhere. Sitting in her fitting room I could hear the clock ticking but didn’t with the moments.

With my ears the way they are right now, the equalizer in the moment app helps a lot. If I continue to have fullness and fluctuations in my hearing that will be hard to give up if I go with Oticon. Still having connection issues between the app and moments, S1 seem to be rock solid. I don’t like the way my voice sounds with the moments, better with S1. Moments do much better with continuous loud noise, decreasing noise to a very comfortable level after a few seconds. S1 do not pull loud noise down at all but the noise is not as loud to start with, if that make sense. S1 seem to keep all sound more level. I asked her to make a work program with the most NR as possible and she said the noise program was at full NR but even that program doesn’t reduce noise as much as moments in universal program.

Both are rechargeable. Moments have a more compact, travel ready charger. Both have non contact charging.

Hopefully my ears will settle down and I can compare the two with the most important thing, which is understanding speech.

Forgot to mention I have tulip domes on the S1 and closed dome with two small vent holes on the moments.

Something else I need to add is the physical buttons on the aids that can be programmed by audi. S1 has a toggle type button for volume up and down and programs (mine are setup for long press for programs). Moments have one button that can be programmed for volume (right is up left is down) or program switching.

Nice to know, good to hear ( no pun intended.) Kudos to the VA.

It’s to be expected that the OPN S1 does not reduce overall / continuous noise level down like the Moment does. That’s because the “open” paradigm of the OPN is designed to make it sound as if all sounds you hear are there (hence the word “open”), although there is still some subtle noise reduction going on, which is consistent of your saying that “but the noise is not as loud to start with, if that makes sense.”

On top of that, when there’s speech going on, the noise reduction activity to help clean up the speech becomes more aggressive, to the degree that you’re supposed to get better speech clarity. But although more aggressive, this noise reduction is still subtle in the sense that you don’t notice that the noise goes away. The noise is still there when speech stops, but you just notice that speech is more clear to you while speech is going on.

1 Like

That’s pretty much the way audi explained it. That is good and bad. Good if the background noise is something that is not over powering something else, bad if it is. Two examples: setting on the back deck this morning, the birds (robins I think) were so much louder than my wife or the TV it was distracting and at work we have the radio playing low from speakers high on the wall but for me they are to loud with the opns. I can switch to the noise program and it does help because she has the mics set to front focus I think but I can’t understand people as well.

This may be one of those things that takes time for my brain to get use to. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I can tell you this the OPN1 and OPNS1 can almost totally remove the background noise, or at least it seems that way to me. I have complained in the past that they remove too much of the background noise. But to be honest maybe it is just me being able to handle the noise more than others. On Tuesday I recieved my OPNS1 aids and I do hear a difference, but I feel it is the difference in the fact that the OPNS1 gives me more power to my ears. The over all sounds is better to me. The sound is muh more clean and sharp. I am hearing things that I never did with the OPN1s. Of course with the OPN1 aids I always had issus with feedback, I am fairly sure it was the fact they are ITE aids and the recievers and the mics are closer, along with larger vents. With my OPNS1s they are MiniRites and the recievers and mics are farther a part and the custom molds have smaller vents. I am not getting any noticeable feedback even when putting my hands over my ears and aids.

1 Like

Yes I believe it is what we each are use to, the only time I have trouble is with the TV being too loud.

That really does prove how everyone’s hearing is different and the way our ears processes the sounds we hear. CV, no way you like Widex, the way they handle background noise, you would be in silence I bet. For me, they process background noise better but I think speech is sacrificed to do so.

1 Like

I love to hike and walk the trails and be out in the forest around here. No way do I want that time to be in silence, I want to hear the wind in the trees, I want to be able to hear things and people coming up on me before I even see them. Last week I had a bear cross my trail and it scared me because I didn’t hear it before I saw it. It went on its way as did I, but that could have been really dangerious.

1 Like

You will be able to get the speech set up so that it is not compromised with Widex. Were you set up with the sensogram (Widex set up with in ear measurement, vent selection & feedback calibration)? This is different to REM which won’t be tailored to the aids like the Widex set up will do it. When myself & my son were set up with the sensogram the speech is set up perfectly and then everything else works perfectly with it, with the option for any fine tuning if needed.

Exactly, that is a time when you want to hear everything. It would be nice though, like for my hearing, to be able to switch to a program when I didn’t want to hear everything.

Close call with the bear. We go to the Smoky mountains once a year looking for bears (from the car) and never see any.

I can understand that. You will hear all those things with Widex when set up right. I am currently listening to wind in the trees, some very noisy birds that the cat is winding up, the traffic passing and my son upstairs on the PS4. However, if I did want to quieten things down I could go to comfort, but I find the Widex sound makes it all comfortable so I don’t need to. No bears here!

2 Likes

Yes, sensogram was done at first fitting.

Okay good, it needs to be redone if any changes are made to the moulds and the vent must be selected in the software, these are key elements to the clarity.