My DIY Success w/ Phonak Audeo Paradise P90s

Bit of a newbie here, so if I can do this, yes, ANYONE can… I’m techy, but new to HAs. Have known for some time I had some hearing loss… surfing Facebook Marketplace one day found an ad for Phonak Audeo Paradise P90 HAs which I decided to grab for $400… turned out they were NOT the Phonak P90s but Unitron D-Moxi 9-Rs… very similar, & as the previous owner was mild/moderate (like me) started wearing em & delving into self programming. Just a week L8r, another Facebook ad… the P90s… $500 so I grabbed them too… had to put new receivers on them (from eBay).
Bought a NoahLINK Wireless, grabbed both Phonak Target & Unitron TrueFit & started learning. Did my online DIY audiogram, fed it to Target… AMAZING!
So, short story… I ended up w/ 2 sets of high-end HAs, programming device, oh and the TV Connector from eBay for $100… all tolled less than $1200 and OMG I CAN HEAR EVERYTHING!!!
I can’t thank this forum enough for all the stuff I’ve learned, pvc is a genius and the pdf’s and such were just a God-send!!! I’ve much more to learn, I know… and will with the help of the members of this forum.

10 Likes

@cottemar I’m really glad I found your post.
Dave

1 Like

I’m a new user of Phonak Paradise HA’s. I’m really interested, because I can’t hear everything.

Consistent problem is the little tiny wax guards. I put them in and plug the speakers.

I’m trying to find what I need to know using the search function.

This is my third set of Phonaks.

Dave

BTE aids might be the best for you.

Thanks.

My hearing aids are behind the ear. Phonak’s Paradise rechargeable hearing aid with bluetooth.

I saw my audiologist today. He was most helpful. He took the time to replace the speakers, wire and all. He handed me a fist full of the little wax guard containers. And spent the time to show me what I need to do to change the wax guard. I did it about 5 times. So that’s ok now.

He had even talked to Phonak Canada. They said no one else in the world had complained about the little tiny wax guards. Guess I’m unique.

When I use their 2" round frisky dispenser I don’t have my hearing aids in. I can’t hear the “click” when I put the old soiled one in the garbage container open #1. And I can’t hear the click putting the new one on the speaker.

But the real culprit is I have a plastic strip on each to keep the hearing aid in place. I always have for over 10 years now…and if it’s not on just right I can’t get the wax guard all the way into the speaker orifice. then when I put the guard on it pushes the wax guard to the side and I can’t hear anything…but I’m not aware of it.

There’s a learning curve and he helped me a lot today. Evenset up a custom program for me to help me hear my wife better. That’s a real need. I’m very grateful.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Dave
Toronto

What model aids do you have?
BTE aids do not have receivers in the ear.
I suspect you have RIC hearing aids.

1 Like

DIY can be amazing. It was for me for sure.
For those without insurance the high cost of hearing aids is out of reach. Self programming can be exactly what is needed.

You have set a great example for those coming into hearing aids needing a little help.
Thanks

2 Likes

Thank you for your kind words, Raudrive… much appreciated.

1 Like

@Raudrive
they are Phonak Audeo P90-R. They are behind my ear, with a tube that goes to the receiver in my ear. The receiver has the tiniest wax guards. If I drop one I can’t find it because it’s so small. They come in a dispensing frisby that’s new to me. Understand that they are the Paradise rechargeable hearing aids, because that’s what my audiologist calls them. Model names may be different in Canada.

I started this journey years ago with one Widex in the ear hearing aid. It was awful. I could hear quiet conversations 50 yards behind me in a restaurant; I couldn’t hear a conversation 4 feet in front of me. And they hurt to wear. So if I was stressed I put them in my pocket. Had that one 10 years.

Since then I’ve qualified for workman’s comp. I’ve had 3 sets of hearing aids in this plan. All Phonak. First were magnificent, as the audiologist was. Second were terrible as the next audiologist was. And the new ones are growing on me, except for my mishandling of the dainty tiny wax guards. I’m very grateful to have them, and to be in the care of a fine audiologist now.

I apologize if I haven’t described my hearing aids properly. They are the best I’ve had, but I am having issues using them. Some were resolved yesterday by my wonderful audiologist who fit me in when I needed help.

Dave, you have RIC hearing aids, receiver in canal, Phonak and many manufacturers term for your type of hearing aids.

Behind the ear hearing aids, BTE, have sound tubes from the aid going into the ear canal. Not a wire like the RIC hearing aids.

Nothing to apologize for. Just terminology most of us try to do right.

You do have a great pair of hearing aids but my point about wax getting into the receiver wax guards was trying to help you with aids that might be better for you having wax issues. BTE aids don’t have that problem.

Asking your fitter about swapping to BTE aids because of wax issues with RIC type aids might fix you up.

Good luck with this.

1 Like

Thanks for your adice Raudrive.

I sort of got to chose early on. However, there are only 3 makes of hearing aids approved for workman’s comp. I’m used to Phonak; and Phonak head office for Canada is about 5 miles away. Plus they support the local school board where I’m an employee. So I get support from my colleagues who are truly experts and really help. Covid 19 has slowed things down. I talk to them by phone; they recommended my audiologist!

I did better after changing wax guards with my audiologist coaxing me. Good progress. And proved to myself I have to be really careful getting the plastic strip on the receiver clear so I can insert the wax guard in deeper. I can’t hear anything without my hearing aids on…but I know what it’s supposed to look like. He had shown me before. I didn’t take it all in though. My fault.

I’m truly happy you’ve taught me something. I hadn’t made that distinction. RIC. I’m good with the Paradise Hearing Aids. And I have two sets of spares. 2 pair of Phonaks from way=back.

Dave

1 Like