My Dad can hear me better through my Phonak Marvel when features are off

Well for goodness’ sake! I am reading this news and just wanting to wrap you in a healing energy. You’ve given me SO much great advice over the past couple years I can never thank you enough. But I can definitely acknowledge your insights and advice - BLESS YOU! :slightly_smiling_face:

You are still needed here, so don’t go till we tell ya to.

2 Likes

My own half-penny’s worth of experience here: I’ve never ever had anyone tell me they can’t hear me when I’m in a noisy environment (edit: while streaming a phone call)! However, once in a blue moon, I’ll have someone say “HELLO?!” and then hang up cuz I’m guessing they can’t hear me. I always chalked that up to some kind of T-Mobile issue or interference from wifi inside/outside our house.

Now I’m also intrigued about the issues others are having when their own “smart” aids are trying to do something that seems to interfere with the phone call. I’m certainly no acoustic engineer or electrician, but I have in the past turned down Noise Cancellation on my older Marvel aids. It seems they wanted to dampen ALL sound down (as others have observed here) so that both speech AND the ambient noise would be too low.

With my new Phonak Life aids, I have Noise Cancellation on as a default and NO issues so far at all. In fact, I find that they seem to know to put me into “Speech in LOUD Noise” when I’m in a noisy place automatically! I have a dedicated program to force my aids into this program, but I haven’t needed to use it yet. I’m almost glad I don’t have the Phonak app on my phone, cuz I’d tinker it to death just trying things out.

1 Like

I asked the audiologist for a list of program feature categories and selection options that could be made with each for Phonak Paradise 70s. She didn’t have it and I couldn’t find that kind of detail online. Proprietary I guess. But without that kind of info it felt like I could adjust individual items and combos to infinity and potentially never find ones that work best for me. Nor understand the effect of particular features without a lot of experimenting.

Ah these are settings I need adjusted by Audi, on my M70’s phone calls are unbearably loud in any sort of noisy environment as need to turn up volume to hear, but mics seem to pick up everything, even if start call on low volume, I can’t adjust anything when in a call.
Compared to previous quattros this is not so good but i guess side effect of using mics on hearing aids, I think id rather use mic on phone if thats possible?

Yes.

Having NoiseBlock etc off, actually increases the volume of the call and makes background noise less.

All these features, reduce the sound of the actual phone call as well.

You could also have the phone call program reduced in gain to help it not be so loud.

Unfortunately not.

2 Likes

@Zebras Are you saying turining off those options is better when having a phone call?
I thought, you’ve disabled Noiseblock only? (I can’t seem to find you post)
Thx

NoiseBlock, SoundRelax and WindBlock all don’t help but NoiseBlock is the main issue.

@Baltazard

Thanks will ask at next appointment.
I guess this is the issue when using mics on aids, as using phone mic would previously mean could hear very clear in any noise. If none of these options help much, I will not be able to use for calls when say going for a walk at lunch as the back ground noise picked up far to much and pumped in to ears and its making my ears worse and the ringing as its just to much volume.

@Zebras Is it fair to say, one could start by turning off Noiseblock then go from there?

Ask for the phone call program to be reduced by 3 dB maybe?

1 Like

yeah I will do, I find it strange to when like streaming on facebook or similar, that lower volume to mute with side buttons and its still quite loud, some silly loud depending on vid.

@Baltazard

Well start with anything and decide from there.

It’s noticeably louder with all turned off.

The issue with these features also reduce the sound coming from the Roger in noise as well. Found that out years ago!

Basically everything I use for ‘streaming’ including telecoil and Roger, I turn off all these features.

I only use the features for AutoSense and Speech in 360 etc.

2 Likes

@Zebras Even the Roger! That’s bad.
Thank you

@leerich2004

I don’t know what your loss is but for me when I’m at home with no background noise, I only have my phone volume at 1 click.

In background noise, my volume is a bit higher.

1 Like

Yes!

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have mainly lost the lower frequencies and right is worse, tinnitus in both ears, right worse for like a humming type noise.
The over loudness is what I feel makes tinnitus worse as wear these all day to and am often turning up/down for noises, the auto program does filter out noises to.

@Zebras This is really interesting. I think I will try this in Target this morning … taking off all those functions for the streaming stuff. You mention it makes things louder, but do you find (with all these things switched off) that the sound is clearer too? For me, clarity is the most important issue.

1 Like

I would say maybe as I’m not struggling to hear when streaming.

I wouldn’t say it was totally easy tho.

2 Likes

@Zebras

Your suggestions really help.
I’m not a self programmer. Old. Have a iMac I bought in 2010. Target takes a pc. And suspect I don’t have the patience/skill.

DaveL

does any one know the answer? I really need it!!!