My Audiogram - Is a Hearing Aid Needed?

My wife has had some issues with her right ear for several years. She once went to an audiologist and they let her try a hearing aid. She said it sounded horrible (like a robot voice) and they kept making adjustments but it never sounded better and she just gave up. She only tried the one and doesn’t remember which model or brand. But knowing her, she probably asked for the lowest end budget model. A neighbor that has significant hearing loss told her she had used Costco for years but wasn’t happy with those and so she went to a Beltone store and loved hers. So my wife went there and was tested and he let her use one of the Serene models. But the person there seemed to be a bit high pressure and I’m not a fan of how you can only go to a Beltone store for adjustments.

Anyway, this is her audiogram and I had a few questions. I understand the tonal test graph and it appears she has significant roll-off above 1-2 kHz. The SRT shows that she could make out words at 15dB in the left ear and 30dB in the right. I was surprised that she could make out speech that low. Is this just because her 1kHz and below loss isn’t bad? I also wondered what the numbers in the table “PTA (dB HL) / AI (%)” meant? 28, 25, 45, 17 and 78. And lastly, what the is meaning of the 65 in the Bin row under the SDT column?

I think it does appear that she needs a hearing aid, but does she need one in both ears or just the right ear? Also, we plan on going to an independent audiologist and also Costco. But since the Beltone model seemed to work for her, should we try to stick to an audiologist that sells ReSound since they are made by the same company? There are so many brands and options that it is a bit overwhelming. I assume she does need a hearing aid, but it was hard to trust the Beltone person since it felt more like a high pressure sales session than a hearing test. Thanks for any help.

1 Like

So much of this reminds me of when we were studying up as our first child came. Lots of advice gave options, but no firm “this is best, don’t do that.” It was a lot of “It depends…”

And that is the way it is here. Everyone has different brains, experience and skills dealing with loss, and different responses to various hearing aids, even the settings which can be configured into the hearing aids. My loss isn’t quite as bad, although my cookie bight is in the mids, not so much the highs. I’m lost without my aids.

I’d say get a pair. If you have a Costco with audiology near you, you owe it to yourselves to check it out. The Rextons are the same as Resound. If it works, you’ll save a boatload of money on First quality aids. Six months to try them out with full refund. You will lose a bit of time if it doesn’t work out. Maybe learn some things about this whole deal along the way.

I get my HAs from the VA, so I have no dog in the fight on where you go. But I agree that places that sell locked hearing aids suck.

WH

5 Likes

I know this was just a brain burp. I have them much too frequently. The Rextons are the same as Sigina and the Jaba is the same as Resound.

4 Likes

Thanks for the input. We do definitely plan on going to Costco. I just recently signed up for a membership there. I did notice that the picture on the ReSound Nexia, Beltone Serene and the Jabra at Costco all look identical on the outside. I’m sure there are some feature differences though.

Actually they are all the same, rebranding is all the rage at the moment!

2 Likes

Yeah, sorry.

I can’t speak to the Beltone. The Jabra at Costco, like all their hearing aids, is top of the line. Meaning in this case that the Jabra is at the same level as the best Resound, and the Rextons are the same as the best Signia. They won’t turn on tinnitus control if a device offers it, but DIYers can turn it on at home. Relatively minor cosmetic differences. That’s it.

WH

1 Like

Thanks. That is great to know. I’m excited for my wife to be getting help with her hearing loss and saving some money at the same time.