My 8 year old Phonak Virto Q70 seem better than my newer Phonak Virto M70

I just turned in my almost 3 year old Phonak Virto M70 to the audiologist so she can send them into the manufacturer for “clean and repair” before the warranty is up.

I was worried I wouldn’t be able to hear much during the two weeks they are gone as it is like giving up part of my body for two weeks. So I dug out my old completely in the ear canal Phonak Virto Q70 from 2015 to wear. She turned the volume up a bit on one of them that I brought in. At first sounds were terribly distorted. Then I started hearing sounds that I had not heard in years - subtle sounds, the refrigerator humming, birds singing, the wind, etc.

Is it possible that these Phonak virto q70 are better at 8 8 years old than my 3 year old Phonak Virto M70? They are bigger and take a larger battery. They don’t seem to work with the Phonak app but they have four settings on the aid.

Now I am considering having these older ones reprogrammed to my current hearing tests and checking to see if Phonak still repairs this model.

Is there anything else anyone can suggest as a next step? I would appreciate your advice. I have severe to profound in the right and moderate to severe in the left due to a virus from long ago.

Do your M70 work with phone calls and music?

If they do, then the App will work.

There are some none Bluetooth Phonak Aids that go in the ear but then there’s also Bluetooth ones.

Just to add, I didn’t find my M70 any better than my Naida Spice III from 2011, apart from having the Bluetooth function, which was handy.

When I got the P70, there was a huge difference in quality of sound. It was really good.

My HA’s are RIC’s and I really prefer my old Q90’s to my newer P70’s for normal use. Sure, the direct connection to Bluetooth is handy not needing the Compilot round my neck but the HA’s are bigger in size to accommodate that.

Are you on a level playing field?
I had the same experience as @Zebras and thought it was lack of rem.
My P30’s are not that different but having had rem done i am aware that the likely difference in sound is down to pure amplification. 20 db loss in 5 years.
The real bonus for me is the tv connector, so much fuller than the compilot

They are both blue tooth but the older ones work with a remote and the newer ones work with the app.

I will look into the P70.

It does seem like the size might matter, since my old ones were full shell and the newer ones are half shell.

I’m not sure what rem is but if you mean to have them reprogrammed, my newer ones have been reprogrammed to my current hearing test since I also have lost db. Is there something else besides reprogramming.?

This got me confused……

Yours do work with the App?

The Q70 are not Bluetooth, they are just wireless. The wireless system works with the ComPilot etc and the ComPilot has the Bluetooth inside.

This is why I was confused when you said ‘they don’t work with the App, as it’ll only be Marvel onwards that work with the App as they have Bluetooth.

Is it the sound or just the size that you like of your old Q90?

@Zebras I have been thinking about that and I realize that the smaller size of the Q90’s is a big factor.

Rem is a checking procedure to ensure that you are getting the correct amplification at the ear drum.
Try a search on here if you are concerned.
I was just pointing out possible differences. If your audi used the manufacturers results then you could have a different set up in each pair.
At least you know you have a consistent audiogram.

There is not that much difference going from Marvel to Paradise.
There is a much bigger difference in technology between your Quest platform devices and Marvel so it’s definitely a programming/physical difference that is causing you to prefer the sound of the Quest. The Phonak fitting software has a ‘transfer fitting’ function so your audiologist can copy your Quest programming to your Marvel devices.
Have your audiologist also check that the venting and feedback margins are pretty much the same on each set of aids

3 Likes

It is a different sound and I am hearing sounds that I was not hearing with the M’s such as paper rustling, refrigerator humming. So maybe it is the amplification. With the M’s the audi said she is at the highest amplification she can go with those. The M’s are also the half shell with the smaller battery. My Qs are larger, full shell with bigger battery.

My Ms work witht he app on the smart phone. My qs have push buttons on the aid that give settings for phone and directional microphone. I never purchased the “extras”.

Oh, I see what you mean now.

This is very helpful. I did not know about these options. I will look into this! Thanks so much!