Musical pitches

Didn’t he say it sounds that way even without his hearing aids?

Idk if he did, but if even if so, could his audi set up an eq’d program?
How flexible are widex in allowing a parametric eq fitting?
I’m just speculating here (hear), as I’m no qualified audio pro.

They can’t pitch shift though.

Too bad, but thanks.
Far out thought:
my mind is playing tricks. I thought of microphone piano >peq>amp>headphones?
Probably not!

I think that retuning your piano will introduce other undesirable effects. Physics is still the same, even though your ears and brain tell you otherwise. Some of the things that make a piano sound like a piano have to do with sympathetic resonance and other harmonic relationship characteristics of the physical instrument. It might be an interesting exercise to see which is more desirable, but then you may find your perceived pitch shift is more complicated than you might initially think, dependent on things like volume, or whether the note is a single note or part of a more complex musical structure.

I’d be really interested to hear if you try this at some point. If you do, try to get an idea of what a more normally hearing person thinks of the sound.

Good luck!

Hello again. Update.

My audiologist didn’t offer much comfort: she ran the standard hearing test on me once again which merely showed that my high-frequency hearing is down a bit - but not far enough down to put me in the ‘profoundly deaf’ bracket. She made some minor tweaks to my aids, but explained that what I’m asking for is beyond present technology - which is more or less what you guys have been telling me anyway!

De-tuning my piano? Yes I’m aware of the risks and downsides in that: I’ve done a bit of tuning myself in the past, I’m familiar with piano acoustics, and I know how important the ‘stretch’ is - especially in its function of eliminating unpleasant beats between the partials.

What I might do is call the same tuner back again, some time this autumn (assuming I haven’t gone all Beethoven by then!). Point being, on his last visit he told me the high notes were all flat - because the previous tuner had been an older man whose high-frequency hearing was a bit off (like mine).

I’d put it to him, could he reduce the stretch just a little in the high notes? Maybe just in the range 20-50 cents (1/5 to 1/2 of a semitone). That wouldn’t solve my problem but it would perhaps make it less obtrusive. And although I find beating in the low notes unpleasant (yes I can still hear it), in the high notes I could tolerate some beats.

Thanks all, for the replies anyway.

1 Like