Music Program for Person with Recruitment

Hi All, I’ve been reading posts on music programs but haven’t seen my problem described. I’ve always had a severe sensorineural hearing loss so I’m not looking to restore my perception of music back to some previous ideal. I turn my Jabra Enhance Pro 10 to its music program and what I hear sounds normal to me.

My biggest complaint while streaming music is that I am always fiddling with the volume controls. I cannot hear quiet passages so I turn the volume up, then the music crescendos and becomes painful so I have to turn it down. The posts that I read say that music programs should turn compression off or put it on slow onset to make music less distorted, but maybe I need the compression increased? Or is there another solution?

2 Likes

Hi Kev, that’s a challenging looking loss (to fit) I’m thinking? Perhaps @Um_bongo or @Neville might give their professional opinion? From my uneducated view, it you would appear, you have a very slight cookie bite, with the added nasty of a slight reverse sloping loss? I have recruitment myself Kev, although the symptoms have eased slightly over the years, at one time in say a busy pub, I might last half an hour to an hour, before I had to escape the sheer volume of noise, nowadays, I can usually last the night, unless it is excessively loud… As for music, for the most part all music sounds outa tune, and I was an avid music listener pre SSNHL… Unfortunately, music nowadays just frustrates me, unless it’s old stuff, and my memory is able to assist me, so in most instances I just avoid music, where possible… Good Luck, in finding a viable solution… Cheers Kev :wink:

Hi @kev716
Seems you have a recruitment problem which could be fixed by tuning your HA’s. Dynamic range setting in programming your UCL levels etc.
Nice short descriptive article about your given problem What is dynamic range of your hearing and why is it relevant?

1 Like