Music professional - How to shut off compression (Widex)

One of the more frustrating things I’m seeing with Widex Moment Sheer 440s, specifically when working on music through studio monitors, is there doesn’t seem to be a way to shut the compression OFF (or any of the fancy, revolving AI detection stuff). Did the earlier models allow for this? Anyone have any success self programming Widex for music listening? I love the concept of the zero delay Puresound mode, but NOT the revolving AI that appears to be a necessary inclusion.

Yes you could turn this off, all you need is to set up your dedicated music program, have you got a copy of Compass software? Have a read through the links.

https://musicandhearingaids.org/

https://grandpianopassion.com/category/hearing-music/

1 Like

I do have compass, thanks. I don['t see anywhere a compression On/OFF or even a compression changing section.

My information is that the “dedicated music program” would be something I’d create from a “puresound” template (widex’s zero delay processing), which always has the compression on. The zero delay initial settings are fantastic for blending my own hearing with the aided hearing

If I use their built in music program, it seems to be for streaming music INTO the aids, not for listening through speaker monitors, and my domes are open, streaming is out of the question - no bass at all.

I hope I’m wrong -

If the Compass software is similar to Oticon Genie, I guess you have to change the compression scheme of your programs manually. It means you will have to have simillar/identical gains for the soft, moderate, and loud curves.

However, if Compass is similar to Phoank Target, you will find an option to choose from a few schemes of compression (linear, semi-linear, and another one I forgot now).

You could be right! I don’t have Moments, I’ll have a look in compass to see what’s going on there, a music program would usually turn off all those extra features you don’t want in the mix.

Do you wear another model of widex?

Nope I don’t “wear” Widex anymore, they sit in my top drawer now.

Ok so I checked this on Moment 440 in compass and the music program is still available as a separate standalone program, so not sure why you think it’s for bluetooth only?
You can turn off most of the features (sound processing) have another go and see if you can get this set up for yourself.

Edit: I notice also the “Pure Sound” is not compulsory (I think this is part of the AI rubbish)

widex music program 1

4 Likes

Wow, Tenkan, thanks for digging in to this. I recall, a few weeks ago, adding a music program, and seeing somewhere the mention of “streaming experience” and tossing it away as an idea. I hope this isn’t an older moment 440 vs a newer moment sheer 440 (latest) thing, but I doubt it.

I’ll try adding one today!!

The advantage of puresound as a basis for creating a music program, over a music program as the starting point, is that puresound is zero delay, BUT it moves all around the AI spectrum continuously, and has no place to shut off that movement…so, comparisons will need to be made.

Thanks again!

My experience with Music (2 weeks, so far) is that it is one of the modes that can be automatically selected by the Moment in Universal or PureSound, or by the user. When the user selects Music, it stays there until the HAs are power-cycled or the user selects another mode. Music appears to be a lot like PureSound, but with a bunch of “comfort” and “speech” features turned off.

I haven’t experienced any mode shifts while in Music mode, or delay in direct vs. amplified sound.

Compression can be configured in the Music program, if you double-click on it in the Program Manager:

This is from my first fitting. I’m not knowledgeable enough to configure this myself; I assume we’re keeping away from the feedback threshold. Additionally, with hearing loss, your own auditory system has a lower dynamic range (DR) than the Moment’s input DR, and compression is essential in bringing up the soft sounds that you otherwise would not hear, while keeping feedback at bay.

Here are my PureSound fine tuning settings:

1 Like

thanks for this. I’m not sure you can do much beyond simply viewing those compression amounts. Not sure they can be touched like the gain at frequency controls can.

Mike - just wanted to thank you again for chiming in with this info. Are you you liking the widex, and the music program in general? Also, what domes are you wearing? You are definitely clear of the feedback area. I have a little bit of overlap I’m trying to sort through

You betcha! I’m using the one-vent round domes. So far, I’m having a positive experience, especially in PureSound and Music modes.

I’ll be seeing my Kaiser audiologist this coming May 8; I can ask about her workflow in Compass GPS when configuring insertion gain vs. feedback.

TL;DR

I wouldn’t say it has 100% solved all of my minor speech comprehension issues; I had to ask someone to repeat something they said softly behind a 1/8" COVID-era acrylic barrier, and I sometimes strain a little bit to separate noise from speech while watching sporting events on TV, more so than I recall in my 30s.

It’s a marked improvement, though, and my wife is enjoying the lower resultant sound bar volume. My increased fidelity is making me think of an upgrade in that dept. I ditched my old Denon/KEF receiver-based HT audio system last year for a lowly VIZIO V21-H8 soundbar, due to diminishing returns with HL, and difficulty prioritizing speech. The actual upgrade was right under my nose.

As for the Music program - yes, it makes a big difference, though the RIC configuration has the minor issues I’ve highlighted in another thread comparing the Apple AirPods Pro 2 using audiogram accommodations: (AirPod Pro 2 as hearing device - #191 by mikehoopes)

Still, the Widex Moment 440 sRIC is a better option for listening to speakers, as it comes closer to prescription target. Soundstage: the Moment one-vent domes make a big difference. The APP2’s closed physical form factor adds some early reflections, so it’s perceptibly narrower, as if…you’re listening to in-ear monitors.

The APP2 Transparency mode offers better hearing protection, though, so if I’m at a loud (>95 dB) live music performance (was close-up at a rock performance last weekend at a local bar patio in Sunnyvale, where my son was playing bass), I think I’d opt for those instead. It did sound good to me, but I’m becoming more aware of my hearing as a sustainable resource. The Apple Watch is pretty convenient for getting a general measure of local SPL, and it displays A-weighted dB.

Are you a mix engineer? Sounds like it!!

Naww, just an EE who likes music. :grin:

2 Likes

Well, I would love to hear follow ups as you learn more about programming these. I’m getting my way around things too, but am still just shy of actually changing values in the gain/frequency area. I’m kind of circling things to get a feel for these first and trying some of the Ai auto sensing stuff, and even that process where you choose between two settings until you find one you like - that has had great results for certain things, like TV with my wife etc. Let’s keep in touch.

The manual music setting is also for live music as well. Im pretty sure, it keeps it in a optimal setting for any music while you’re using it.

Any reason(s) why they just sit now that you would like to share? (I’m just beginning my HA selection journey…)

This is a killer topic for me. I was/sort of still am a film/television composer, gainfully employed for over 30 years. But like Huey Lewis, diplacusis disharmonica declared itself when my meniere’s condition went bilateral. What this does is cause a pitch shift. One ear might hear a middle C as an F# and the other an Eb. It makes all music sound like serial atonal music. This has somewhat abated and I can hear and play music again.

I have the Widex Moments Sheer, and the Sound assist. The sound assist now connects through bluetooth to the MacBook Pro and has made a huge difference in audio quality for me.

I have also found the music program to be rubbish and I never use it. I have asked my audiologist the same question about compression, as most musicians have. It seems to be strapped across every band.

From what I remember she said the compression straps across all frequency bands and could be lowered or raised.

I met with a Widex rep and wrote the company that what they needed to do was make an advanced user page on the app that allowed users access to:

At least 10 frequency bands per channel independently adjustable and accessible to the user. .

A compressor should be added - one with a Low pass filter, Hi pass filter, and Low, Mid and High band compression settings that were independently adjustable for frequency and bandwidth on each channel. One that is simple to drive, like the Cambridge Plugin from UA.

I have found the Pure Sound preset useless.
I have found the tiresome and laborious AI feature ineffective.

I have found the sound assist to be an enormous asset, but obly listening through a bluetooth connected device so the music does not stream, it transmits to the HA,

This only became available recently.

I have searched endlessly for third party programs that would accomplish this to no avail. Like the iPhone, the Widex HA’s are locked up tight.

I also have the Evokes and am currently experimenting with programming them.

I want to give a shout out to tenkan, who is always so resourceful and helpful.

I bought the Rogue Audio Hijack program for my MBP, which allows you to adjust frequency, compression and many other things in the internal audio of the MBP and then output it through bluetooth straight to the Widex sound assist and then to the Moment HA’s.

It makes a tremendous difference.

It may provide a useful adjunct to your dilemma.

There are many bluetooth speakers available - they started with Sonos, I believe, and now there are many brands. I wonder with the new bluetooth connectivity advancements in Macs, along with a plug in like Audio Hijack might be a work around as the technology advances.

Addendum:
Looking through the images posted it appears there is some sort of compressions setting for the different bandwidths.

I also though of this workaround: you can select the input and out put in Audio Hijack. If you made the input the internal mac, and the output the headphone jack, you could get adaptors and run the analog signal to speakers. But then I have no idea how good the D to A converters are in the Mac.