Moisture in hearing aids

Is moisture a real issue, or is this something drummed up so companies can sell drying devices, and dispensers can charges for drying services that are not needed?

My hearing aid has an error if there is moisture inside it. Then my battery can last 1 hour or more. and some last only a few days and should last 2 to 3 weeks. And it happens no matter what brand of battery I insert.
When I hand the appliance in for service for cleaning from the inside, the openings clean it and probably dry it, then everything works like new again.
Hearing aids have filters that make them waterproof but this does not prevent condensation from forming inside.
This is most often in the summer, when going from a hot environment to a cold room. Then the warm air inside the hearing aids begins to turn into moisture.

Moisture is a very real problem, for any brand of hearing aids. When I used 2 aids I only wore Phonak aids. They have an IP of 67-68, mist aids have a coating that’s meant to help them resist water. But as already mentioned, it doesn’t prevent condensation from the dome/mold going up the tubes and into the workings of the aids. Every time my Phonak went for service they always came back with moisture in them. Even though I put them in the Phonak dry box every night.

So yes moisture is a huge problem to hearing aids.

Thanks all. Other opinions?

I love my Zephyr Dry and Store. I cycle and hike regularly in a warm environment and can get very sweaty around the ears. I also don’t use rechargeables because I like being able to air out the battery case. Before I got the Zephyr I would have to replace a unit at least once a year…now they outlast their warranty by years.

Batteries 2 to 3 weeks? That’s a pipe dream.

It’s possible this person only wears aids 2 to 3 hrs/day.

My last set of hearing aids lasted 11 years. My audiologist attributed their longevity to the fact that I kept them in a desiccant jar every night.

No electronic device likes moisture. Add salt that you may perspire by your ears, and it’s double trouble.

It really depends on the climate that you live in plus your lifestyle.
I have looked at the drying devices a few times but have never bought one. Certainly there appear to be many who like them.
I decided that initially I didn’t want to pay for one as I had a warranty that would cover any issues in the first year.
So I decided as a test, instead to permanently keep a silica gel packet in my hearing aid box which is where I store them overnight.
I have not had any moisture induced failures so far in 6 years of hearing aid use.
If I lived in a tropical environment I would probably look at the dryers.

I apologize a bit for losing the translation because I don’t know good English.

I have 675 batteries that last 2 to 3 weeks. . If I use bluetooth often then it takes less.
But when the humidity is inside, then my device lasts for a short time, at least 1 hour or a few hours or 1 day. At first glance, it seems like the batteries are faulty, but this happens with all batteries no matter what brand of battery. After taking the hearing aid to a service center to clean the inside and probably dry it, after that everything would work properly again.
I wear hearing aids all day, and that with moisture only happens in the summer when it’s hot.

Thank you for adding your experience. I live with moderate humidity & rarely get my HA sweaty (preferring to remove them for jogging), so have not understood the need for a dryer. I have kept a couple silica packets (from vitamins) in a Rx bottle available, in case I forgot to remove HA before a shower, but have not used this remedy. Currently use KS9s for 2 yrs. Previously I used my father’s VA Starkeys that were reprogrammed for me for 2 yrs. No known moisture problems for either.

As soon as the battery vent is exposed, it makes little difference if the aids are on or off.

@darthvagrant I had size 13 in my Phonak aids. They used to last 18 days. But I didn’t do any streaming just listening. My size 13 in my Resound aid only last 7-9 days as I’m still doing a lot of streaming and some rehab.

Take moisture seriously

After years of not using a hearing aid dryer I took the plunge this week and bought this little beauty after a recommendation from someone on this forum, thank you (see link below) its fully automated as well, 8 minutes UV disinfection, 3 hours drying time. Cheers Kev :wink:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07CQN5MS3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have had one for years. But cannot CHARGE hearing aids in the dryer, so use it rarely.

You can with this one. :slight_smile: