Moderate to severe hearing loss - hearing aid selection

My HA Audi has prescribed these HA’s based on my request for ITC aids, they are Oticon Own, however they are operating at the top of their range, I am really impressed with size and they have been perfect for normal use, they are battery aids which I am very happy about! HOWEVER I am very unhappy as although they are perfect for normal use and a size I am very happy with couple of issues, 1) my right ear :ear: weeping every night, 2) as I’m at the top of range if for example I’m on a flight and my hearing drops , I need more power, now I realise I chose ITC but apparently Oticon advise based on my ear canal profile this
Is my only option without going to Ric, so my question is should I be happy with what I have or
are Oticon being unreasonable as Jabra can produce aids although ITE are bigger and more comfortable, non weeping, with more bandwidth to my needs however for my day to day living not quite as perfect as Oticon? Isn’t it possible to have bigger aids at the low end with more power when I need it? Am I living in fantasy land?

Hi there, there are ITE types for profound, but at this level of loss it doesn’t make a lot of sense, you’ll do SO much better with RIC or BTE, there’s so much “More” to choose from with these models, I don’t know what you mean by “weeping” has the ear canal got an infection or something else?

Any reason why you haven’t tried a Starkey Genesis R ITE. They do a HP matrix option which should be plenty. The ‘wet’ ear probably wants resting and careful monitoring

Hi, many thanks for your replies,
With reference to the weeping, I mean one or my ear canals is wet during the night and I have to dry it in the morning before putting the HA in…I am taking a general ear ointment to hopefully alleviate the condition…

With ref to RICs I have tried several in the last few months, including Lumity Life and Oticon Real 1 but prefer ITE/ITC as that is what I am used to and prefer…

I want to try the Genesis ITC/ITE but they have only just come out in the UK… so hopefully I will be able to trial soon but prefer.the disposable battery version which Genesis don’t do… although it would be good to almost have 2 day battery life…

Just on the Genesis ITE, I ordered some customs on Monday and they’ve arrived in the shop today, so the lab is obviously kicking them over pretty quickly.

@Um_bongo How are you getting on with the Starkey Genesis ITE’s? I really liked the Evolve ITE with exception of Bluetooth Streaming on then latest iPhone 14 Pro Max which I didn’t think was great, however for everything else they were amazing, I am hoping that the Genesis are better with this but from comments I have seen on here may not be so…

I got back from holiday last Sunday but have had COVID ever since so my new HA journey is on hold for the time being- I am going to return the Jabra Enhance Pro 10’s ITE and replace with Philips 9040 ITE (Costco) as they advised they could do them in either HP or UP and also checkout Starkey Genesis AI 24 ITE, also returning Oticon Own ITE as although I am really impressed there is not enough extra power with SP receivers which Oticon reckoned were the only size that would fit my ears for ITE which I thought was strange when Philips said they could do…

Really well actually; they are seeming to be better than the Oticon Owns in customer’s hands.

People like the charging, the spare battery life, the connectivity and the performance in noise. A couple of concerns about the look of the faceplate and the fact that the ones with all the features are bigger than some people would like. However, as people are getting in well with the technology; the other grumbles are less of an issue.

Other than this, the RIC RT (the bigger one) is a pretty good choice: especially if you’ve got power needs as they make a power custom tip which (given the big battery) lasts really well in this configuration.

Also: the 100dB Oticon receiver has issues with being overdriven to the point of destruction- I’ve got a client who’s been through several re-builds over the years as they’ve had to replace the receivers on his aids.

Edit: the Aerial circuit on the new aids is way better than the Evolv, way more db of gain and a bigger physical aerial too.

1 Like

@Um_bongo Many thanks for your update and comments it is really appreciated.

I am looking forward to meeting with my hearing care provider to trial the new Genesis AI 24 ITC/ITE and to ultimately decide if I want to pay the extra £1,500 over the CostCo Philips 9040 ITE equivalents, and to be fair if I plan to keep for 7 years like my previous pair then I do not mind spending the extra if the improvement is significant enough.

Also there is the small matter of the fact I live 120 miles from CostCo and they do not do remote sessions :frowning: