miniRITE. For what reason did you change the standard miniFit earbud to an acrylic earbud?

I’ve noticed that sometimes a hearing aid makes a whistle with a standard earplug. Can an acrylic earplug save me from whistling? What are the advantages of an acrylic earplug made from an impression of the auricle?

With rare exceptions, the whistling is the result of sound leaking out of the ear canal back out of the ear and getting re-amplified at the microphone. A custom earmold should help mitigate this by keeping more sound in the ear canal. Typically, the poorer hearing you have, the more likely a custom earmold would be beneficial.

I have doubts that a solid acrylic earplug will be effective, because it is solid, for example, if the ear canal is deformed when you yawn, this will allow sound to pass freely from the cracks and cause whistling. There is no such thing with standard earplugs, because they always try to fill the ear space due to elasticity. But I have a strong amplification of the hearing aid, it seems to me that the material of the standard hearing aid is not able to hold sounds, so the hearing aid makes a whistle.

Say what? are you yawning 24/7 I think those with severe to profound accept some feedback in these situations, having a canal lock or using skeleton, soft silicone molds are a pretty good option as well, feedback has a number of reasons, number one you already know as in poor fit, but also build up of wax is another common reason, with BTE the tube is old and brittle,split in the tube etc, you don’t post your audogram so hard to say what/which you may benefit from.

This was an example. There can also be whistling if you smile widely (the most unpleasant moment is when you communicate with people, smile, and your hearing aid whistles), I have been wearing hearing aids all my life, I recently purchased an Oticon more 1 miniRITE hearing aid. This is my first hearing aid of this type, I have worn BTE all my life. I feel there is a significant difference between the types of these hearing aids. The audiologist only offered me an acrylic earmold. So I have a question and am interested to know the opinion and experience about acrylic ear tips.

Try the slim tips and see for yourself if they give the required results, as your working with your audiology clinic, it’ll be easy enough to try them, or are you talking about get custom molds made?
What type of molds did you use on the BTE models you’ve used?

Slim tips

Lots of options for Oticon, which one are you getting.

I’m talking about custom molds made. I believe my audiologist suggested the Power Receiver Mold 100dB. Thank you for the posters, they will be very helpful when communicating with my audiologist. The audiologist tried to show me an acrylic earmold, but he couldn’t find it. He described it in words, but in words you can imagine a lot of incomprehensible things :slight_smile:

1 Like
1 Like