Metalic echo in left ear

I have seen several posts for a metallic echo in left ear. This happened to me for the first time today in the middle of a meeting. It reminded me of when flying, specifically landing and I felt the only solution was to get my ears to pop.

Accompanying the echo seems to be muscle spasms in the head, neck, and shoulder with some dizziness/disorientation. After I get my ear to “pop” the other symptoms remain plus a horrible sinus pressure headache. I have cycled through this 3 times in the last 3 hours.

I am very sensitive to air pressure changes but am also very susceptible to sinus infections. How do you know when to see an ENT?

0 Likes

It sounds like this is causing you considerable distress. I’d see your regular physician or go to urgent care before considering seeing an ENT.

0 Likes

kfewer, you have my utmost empathy!! To have this happen 3 times within an hour means there IS a cause. You just have to find it. Things that come to my own (not-medically trained) mind are: sinus infection (can even stem from TEETH/gum issues), nerve damage (neck/sppine), in addition to the pressure sensitivity. Take ten deep breaths and resolve these issues one by one.

I am also super sensitive to pressure, and my ears let me know when the weather is changing 2 days before! I get the exact same “metallic” sound in one of my ears when low pressure systems swoop in. Even temperature changes can make them BONG with the 24x7 tinnitus I have. Ah, I’m wrapping you and your ears in a healing aura, but I DO think this is a multi-factorial situation that can be conquered with treatment and drugs. GOOD LUCK to you, and let us know what you find out.

0 Likes

This is no substitute for medical evaluation of your condition. But here’s some really cheap congestion relief. It’s says $1.52 but I get if for .88 cents and it works great for me, Sinus Relief. Also, they changes the package color, It’s no longer that orange color.

0 Likes

So just spent 3 hours in ER for something else but brought this up. Hearing is fine today. I am wondering if it was an environmental reaction. I am allergic to so many things. It could have been my system reacting to something I came in contact with. I work in a hospital so there’s a lot floating around the air in here. It was very distressful but once I left the building my hearing was fine and no headache.

I have had a lot of strange things happen like ocular migraines and completely losing my vision in one eye (on 5 or 6 occasions spanning over 20 years). All tests come back normal. I am always the picture of perfect health.

Maybe I need to live in a bubble. :slight_smile:

Actually I have been suffering greatly for a year an a half with neck and shoulder problems so it is likely stemming from that. It just didn’t seem related at the time it was happening.

Thank you all for your input.

0 Likes

^^^ Well, that sounds like overall good news! But it also sounds like you may need to reflect on a new year’s resolution: get another job! I greatly admire the folks who work in hospitals on a daily basis, but the exposure to chemicals, bugs, and STRESS looms large. Maybe your skills could be applied to a related industry at a kinder, gentler location than hospital. It does seem coincidental that the hearing sensation came on in a particular ROOM at the hospital - makes you wonder about the ventilation or other unknown factors going on.

If your neck & shoulder issues relate to your job - that’s a bigger issue! In any case, have you considered physical therapy and/or acupuncture on a regular basis? I’m getting acupuncture for a curious case of “frozen shoulder”, and after 8 treatments, I CAN LIVE WITH THIS! It has really made a night & day difference. On top of which, the first question out of the doc’s mouth was: “How do you spend your day?” That led to the realization of a major trigger factor for my shoulder. Perhaps you have some triggers, too, that need to be addressed and eliminated. Wishing you continued healing and progress in this quest!

0 Likes

I have been going to physio and massage for a year and a half. It is ironic and coincidental that all this started after an ergonomic assessor came and redesigned my workspace to address carpal tunnel. I think a numb hand was much more tolerable than this. lol

On another note, I think the incident was a reaction to something I ate. I got a similar but not as bad of a reaction the very next day right after lunch. My meal was the same both days. I immediately had de-ja-vu to a similar reaction I had 10 years ago.

0 Likes