Medicare Advantage Hearing Aid Benefit?

Comparing Advantage programs in my area now. New HA’s would convince me to change my Advantage plan. My current Cigna has a has a 0 copay for hearing aids. When I called Cigna, I find that Amplifon is contracted by Cigna to coordinate these benefits. Amplifon, seems to bargain with a few, what I consider, more expensive retailers to obtain better rates on HA’s. A call to Amplifon, the cheapest are $1,000/ear. I believe, unless proved wrong, that I can do better at Costco.

Has anyone looked into this further? Are there better Advantage plans with better HA benefits?

Appreciate your help on this one,
Allen

I have a plan through Humana which offers “Up to 2 TruHearing-branded hearing aids every year (1 per ear per year). Benefit is limited to the TruHearing Advanced and Premium hearing aids, which come in various styles and colors. Premium hearing aids are available in rechargeable style options for an additional $50 per aid. Cost is $499 per aid for Advanced, $799 for Premium.” Note that this is limited to TruHearing’s own branded aids. If I were in the market for new aids, I’d probably head to Costco as well.

My healthcare provider is devoted health and depending on coverage, they are contracted with TruHearing and premium aid co-pay is 699 for me, they are private brand TruHearing aids made by Signia. If you have both Medicare and Medicaid, the cost of the aid is much less for a premium aid. TruHearing audiologists have high turnover and will not follow best practices due to limited funding by TruHearing.

I have a Kaiser Permanente Advantage Plan with hearing aid coverage. Costco is still much cheaper.

I got mine from Kaiser Permanente (CO) and my Advantage plan provided a $1000 benefit. Kaiser’s prices were significantly higher than Costco, but for what I got it was about half the average price shown here on hearingtracker. And I was able to get Oticon More, which is not available at Costco.

I’m hoping that the new over the counter Ha’s will have the indirect effect of causing (forcing) providers like Kaiser and other insurance co.s to offer much better deals for prescription aids.