MD Hearing aids?

Has anyone tried or herd about MD HEARIN AIDS

Is this just another toy or do they work?

Thanks in advance
WWR

I have some. They were my first set of aids. They are analogue and linear and have good fidelity. They have no feedback repression. In noisy environments is where it falls apart, trying to make sense of conversations you want to be part of. Am finally going to get serious and have a go with my first digitals with appointment scheduled for Costco on Oct. 4th. The Siemens Touching are very similar to the experience and pricing with the MD aids, but they have some feedback repression. The MD aids have volume dials with numbers on them so you can keep track. Also a little sideways lever on each for 2 positions … high and full range I believe, but also the 3rd of switching them off while on your ear which is handy if you run into the guy with a leaf blower. The Siemens have button to increase or decrease and no quick shut off mechanism.

EDIT: Well spoke too soon about them being analogue and linear. I bought mine on Amazon about 14 months ago and that’s what they are. Still trying to find on Amazon again but maybe no longer there? But on their own site now, MDhearingAid.com, I see them advertising digital aids with some basic sound programs to choose from. $349.99 for one or $599.99 for two. Mine I paid like $350 for the pair. So unless you come across the ones I’m describing above specifically, that information is not correct for these more recent models.

EDIT 2: OK here is the link to their nicely set up site. https://www.mdhearingaid.com/shop/hearing-aid-comparisons/#.UjvtdBZXjGs I see now that my model is the “Pro” and they have since added the “Air” model which is digital and has more features for voice in noise situations apparently and is a considerable bit smaller with the behind the ear unit. If I did not have the appointment set up at Costco and the feeling that I am going to come away with very state of the art, new technology aids in the new Kirkland Signature 5 models at by all accounts an amazing price, I would be very tempted to try the $600 for a pair MD Air hearing aids. I found the customer reviews on the Pro model on Amazon to be accurate, and on this site the new reviews for the Air sound good too. I would be curious to read a review if I can find one from someone using the Air aids vs what they experienced with the Pro aids.

But I do want to experience really good digitals tuned exactly to my ears’ various frequency deficiencies now and the binaural sound field technology with the KS5s.

WWR, the OP, if anything about what you have read, including the pricing, on the digital MD hearing aid …appeals to you, and if you can’t get to a Costco to try and maybe buy a pair of the new Kirland Signature 5s, even at the pretty amazing price of $1899 with remote, then do take a chance with the MDAir. I just bought one of them and have it on now, just arrived a couple of hours ago. Excellent packaging and included instructions. All in all nice quality. So far. I have an appointment at Costco on 10/4 to be hearing tested again and be trial fitted with the new Signature 5’s.

From what I have experienced over the past year with the MD Pro analogue, linear aids… just in the couple of hours on I can tell I like the “Air” already better. For one thing it is small like s.o.t.a. BTEs are now these days and the form fitting left or right oriented micro tubing is sweet. No messing around and having to cut your own fatter tubing lengths. Though they do include that option. Apparently for severe loss more sound does get through the larger tubing. SUPER comfortable and secure in comparison and really they are so much less visible. I wear glasses and am just dropping the ear frame behind the MD Air on my left ear. The light but rigid tubing keeps the aid very secure, much better than my Pro model. I have a lot of testing to do in noisy situations to see how well they do perform with their 4 programs. You have a dial for volume WITH NUMBERS to keep track of, like with the Pro linear model… which rocks, and turned all the way down it actually clicks off the device. Nice! Takes care of the “guy with-the-leaf-blower” you turn a corner and suddenly encounter while walking. Yowza!!!

Mode 1 (one beep in your ear when you press the button below the volume dial) is Normal. “Home, watching TV, time with family” (“Increases sound in ALL frequencies”) Mode 2 (2 beeps) is “Low Social Mode” (“Low frequencies [most background noises] up to 1000 Hz are not amplified”) Mode 3 (3 beeps) is “High Noisy Mode” “Intense noise situations: parties, restaurants, traffic or large crowds. Ideal for people with high frequency hearing loss.” (“Frequencies up to 1500 Hz are not significantly amplified”) Mode 4 (4 beeps) is “Telecoil” “Use with compatible telephones and looped environments” (“Telecoil enabled. Microphone is off.”)

I have a whole bunch of speech in noise situations to test with only this ONE aid. And will report back. I’m expecting big improvement over the linear, analogue MD Pro. Which itself is far better than nothing and sounds normal. So far with the digital “Air” model things sound pretty normal too. They correctly tell you in the enclosed literature that 2 aids will be better than one. I’ve experienced this with the Pros.

There are ear buds of 3 of sizes that are soft and comfortable, and they give you the choice of really open with big vents or solid with the soft, flexible material. The really open ones are much more prone to start feedback. But the situation is “fairly” good with the digital suppression with the other style. I am opting for the middle size of the non vented buds which for me really is still “semi-open”. The largest size…even less feedback but a little more occlusion and stuffy feeling.

I am going to compare, you bet, with one ear performance during my trial period with the Kirkand Sig 5s. I sincerely hope those will “smoke” this affordable digital aid… > $600 if you buy two at same time. $349 for one, but they tell you in the packaging materials you can purchase a 2nd for still a discount at $319. Even if the Kirklands ROCK and are ALL I hope they will be, I am keeping this one MD Air. I actually like to have something in one ear at night just for the alarm clock and any emergencies to hear someone down the hall. (mom in law lives with us) These are SO much more comfortable than the Pro version. No point in putting hours on more expensive, hit tech aids to do that. Going out in boat, knocking around, etc.

Stay tuned… :cool:

After 2 days I have to say I am impressed with this one digital MD aid just in my left ear. Definitely there is “some” help in noisier situaltions and in the car with road noise, air conditioning, etc, listening to the radio now on mode 3. There is no “tinny” or “weird” sound, or way too much of sounds getting “whacked” that leave you frustrated because you think they shouldn’t be “whacked”, like I am reading from so many here struggling with the sophisticated digitals. Maybe with “challenged” fitters? I don’t know. I am keeping my 10/4 appointment at Costco to be tested and plunk my $1,900 down for 90 days on the new Kirkland signature 5s. I will continue to report back.

BUT for anyone here crying the blues about $5-7,000 for s.o.t.a digitals from an independent shop… stop. You can find a Costco or travel to one, considering the money you will save. If you really have no money, or you really can’t stand what you have experienced with non-linear sounding digitals (for whatever reason… fitter?) then order at least one of these MD Air digital aids with the same small BTE form factor and try it out. They have 21 days to return with money back. I can’t believe no one else is chiming in here that they have at least tried them. $600 2 aids. $349 1 aid. But if you like it you can order a 2nd for $319. Super comfortable. Secure with the small diameter, pre-shaped tubing. Glasses drop behind them on the ear no problem. Much better than the analogue, linear MD Pro which is not “bad” considering the price and the help it can give if you are really financially challenged. The aren’t much more, $250 more for 2, and all things considered quite a value in my never to be humble opinion.

I considered these, but thought that due to my specific hearing loss, I would do better with truly programmable hearing aids, so I went with Audicus. You can read my thread, but basically I got the two hearing aids programed to my specific test results for $599 each, $1198 for the pair. I couldn’t be happier. They are such an improvement. :slight_smile:

OK, as promised, or depending on your point of view (threatened … :slight_smile: ), I’m baaack to give brief comparison now of the MD Air digital aids to my fancy new Kirkland KS5s I just picked up yesterday. Again not quite fair to the MD Airs as I only purchased 1 of them to use in left ear, knowing I was going to be buying and likely keeping the KS5s. But I can imagine how much better having 2 MD Airs in would be over just one as I experienced that whenever I wore both the larger and less sophisticated MD analogue aids.

The advantages immediately apparent are:

1. Of course having my specific frequency losses compensated by the multi-band equalization (if that’s a decent term in HA land) The MD Airs don’t seem to be linear as are the MD analogue model and do seem to address the higher frequencies more and with the 2nd and 3rd programs take down the other frequencies to concentrate more on conversation than background noise.

2. Directionality. No contest of course with the sets of directional and omni directional mics on each KS5 plus the great sound field awareness created by their back and forth communication.

3. Feedback suppression. Big advantage to the KS5s. Though the Airs do a lot better than the original MD analogue, if you find one of the buds that fits well enough to seal but not be uncomfortable. Their open bud to me is too open, and I settled on the smaller full bud for comfort, but the next larger size which is a bit too large after wearing for awhile does a much better job with feeback suppression. At least in my kit I would have liked to have seen a solid size in between those two. I bet they have them maybe as additional parts can be purchased.

More sophistication of course with the KS5s and with the remote and the programs, but sonically, the 3 points above are the biggest advantages of the KS5s to me. There is a return period with the MD Airs, and if someone is really needing help with their hearing, but with very little money to be afforded toward it, I would still whole heartedly recommend you give a try to these for $600. If you have never worn any aids with your now challenged hearing capabilities, I would expect these would be a revelation to you.

Hope this helps.

Freq. L R
250 30 30
500 40 50
750 45 45
1K 50 50
1500 55 60
2K 50 65
3K 60 65
4K 60 70
8K 65 70

Topic revived by a spammer. Closing permanently.