Managing canal pain from domes

Not getting much help from my Audi, so while I wait for my Audi to get a resolution, I’m reaching out to the collective wisdom…

It seems I have problem small ear canals, a couple of types of small sized domes have been problematic… over a couple of weeks my ear canal gets irritated, sensitive, making installing/removing/ wearing the receiver painful. I’ve run into this with Paradise and Moment (current) receivers.

Custom ear molds or finding XS domes make sense. I’ve seen lubricant for domes. Is there any such thing as a ear canal soothing balm? I’m open to any suggestions, even stop-gaps!

Hi, how long have you been wearing aids?

-If new, this may be somewhat normal, but it depends on quite a few things. I don’t wear domes but am no stranger to ear irritation from hearing aids. You should be able to tell if they are just too big, you shouldn’t be having to really cram anything in. There are many dome options.

-There’s a lot of chance with a variety of types of ear infections that can feel just like tender/irritated canals. Is it possible its a mild infection? If you’re new to hearing aids you may not know the difference. Its possible you have a mild infection and swelling from sticking fingers in your ear so much recently.

-I’m not a medical doctor or anything but I many times have used Neosporin plain (make sure not to get like the pain relief or medicated versions at all) if I was having canal pains. If I knew it was an outer ear infection and needed attention but sometimes I had to go to work without an option so I would lube up my canal and mold and just get it in and struggle through the day. On bad days I would bring qtips for light cleaning and the neosporin to reapply. As soon as getting off work I would be cleaning the canal lightly of the Neosporin with qtip and dry with alcohol(very painful, maybe skip this step but I did), letting it dry and applying prescribed antibiotic drops and be gone within a week, wearing aids as little as possible while treating. Either case, the Neosporin has never been an issue for me as a lubricant, infection or not.

Ibuprofen does take the edge off the pain for a few hours, but there’s a limit to ibuprofen.

There’s no infection, my audi looked in there today.

I dont have a sense of having to force them in. I do have to be slow and gentle because of the soreness now. I’m relatively new to HAs, one month wearing now. These are my second set/type of domes, they do feel more full in the ear canal than the first set.

One month is bound to be prevalent with issues. I’d focus on getting domes that feel the best and don’t be afraid to lightly lube with Neosporin but not in excess. In my experience audiologists vary so much. You shouldn’t have to be taking ibuprofen to wear aids at all.

I might even suggest giving your ear time to cool and starting over. If its just irritation it shouldn’t take much time to resolve but if its an infection it will stick. I’ve had audis miss infections before, FYI. But just a month is still well within the period of adaptation that its not going to be comfortable in any case.

Hmmm. I thought I was being picky or paranoid about the pair (same practice) of audis I’ve seen given I was totally new to hearing aids. Now I’m thinking, not so much.

I agree, I shouldn’t need ibuprofen, or be out of pocket after insurance and considering not wearing them for a few days.

Oto-Ease: Water-based ear lubricant, kind of like a thick personal lubricant. Being water-based, it may not last all day in the ear.

Miracell ProEar: Oil-based ear lubricant. Lasts longer, but you don’t want to let it seep into the receiver openings.

IMO Audiologist should have suggested these or similar when other efforts to relieve your discomfort failed.

1 Like

My Audi just offered to see me for this issue nearly 2 weeks out!