Making a silicone Mold: Jaw closed? Chewing? Open? Bite?

Anyone here swear by one method or another, or able to break down their opinions on which should be used when?

In light of my recent mold struggles I’m also realizing my recent audi’s aren’t asking or guiding one way or another, they just fill it. Audi’s in the past would either have me chew, or bite down on these foam/cotton pad things. Mine have repeatedly been too loose, and no recent audi has suggested chew or open jaw or a bite. Could this be a major part of it?

Note: I’ve been told my canals are large and quite straight. I don’t have much of a bend. Should this influence one method or another?

Good question and it totally comes down to Audi’s preference. Most time I’ve had molds taken, I’ve just sat in chair and kept my mouth closed. I now thinks it’s a good idea (personally) to yawn or open you mouth several times as ear molds hardens. Not sure about gum but recently a medical clinic put a small rubber block in my mouth before ear molds were made. Unfortunately I don’t think there is any standard method when making ear molds, other than allowing mold enough time to properly dry while in ear canal and packing it properly before shipping out for manufacturer.

I agree that it seems to be audi’s preference, but by doing some light reading it seems like the jaw position really effects the canal quite abit, and probably should not be something left just up to preference? Next mold I’m definitely going to open my jaw some but dont know how much or if I should clench/bite on padding or rest on padding. I wish I had access to 20 tubes of silicone and a mold manufacturer who would indulge me in doing a experiment in jaw positions and overall mold shape/volume/comfort. :grin:

One thing that seems to stick out in any articles I can easily find about it, is that people that need less power, have less issues with molds which makes sense. I want all the power and have all the issues with molds!

Hopefully your Audi did an ear check before taking molds and removed ear war that might of built up. Silicone is supposedly a better material then acrylic in preventing feedback or aid squealing. Though my hearing level is off the charts I recently went from full shell silicone back to acrylic (which I prefer) and have had no problems with feedback. I currently wear Phonak Paradise Nadia 90.

Also make sure you get full shell mold and not half shell if you have a severe to profound hearing loss.

I’m going to try this one. I have been using silicone full shell ear molds and had to trim most of it due to ear skin irritation. Also silicone earmolds gets loose when sweating.

I find carved full shell good for skin irritation as they carve it so less bulk.

Even grinding down the full shell silicone earmolds didn’t help.

But in which way to do grind down?

That’ll make a difference.

I always used the chewing method. For my last few, I requested an extra long mold that goes as deep as possible. Some may find that uncomfortable or problematic of you have issues with occlusion, but for me, it created a nice comfortable snug fit and higher gain as I also never used a vent.

I did most myself using Lloyd Hearing Aids where they send you the kit, you make the impression, send it back, and then they ship you the complete product. With each kit you get two per ear so you have two chances to get a good impression should one not be as well done as the other.

https://lloydhearingaid.com/shopping/accessories/bte.asp

It isn’t that difficult and generally less expensive then what an Audi charges. They can do both hard and soft molds. I’m not affiliated with them just very happy with their services.

Ordered, thanks! Excited to try this method. Impressed with the conversation I had with them.

1 Like

I’m looking forward to molds that expand with body heat.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ear+molds+that+expand+with+body+heat&oq=ear+molds+that+expand+with+body+heat&aqs=chrome..69i57j33i160l2.7185j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

In the end, I think it’s the luck of the draw. Our bodies are constantly changing. One day, yawning might work; the next, foul things up. We can’t predict the outcome, which anyway depends on other factors as well.

Recently I decided to have my pretty good fitting right mold replaced. My audi did a little shaping in his office, et voila! Five minutes later, the perfect mold! Or as near as is likely to occur.

I could have done another mold, but who knows if it would have turned out better than my current mold? And there’s a good chance it would have been worse. And that’s the rub. I don’t think there’s a ‘one size fits all’ approach to how we act during the forming of a mold.

2 Likes

Wow, this article is a great read!

Answers so many questions and looks well referenced with good methodology. This is awesome, thanks! I especially like that his study seems to agree with my feeling that the sealing of the mold appears to happen in a canal building out from there primarily serves for comfort or retention.

" Contrary to the common belief that “the more the ear concha is occupied by the earmold, the more effective the seal,” two separate studies found that all earmold styles are capable of providing an equally effective acoustic seal."

“Analyzing REAT data, Pirzanski noted that, in most subjects, canal earmolds sealed as effectively as standard earmolds—if not better. In both studies, the differences measured in sealing effectiveness among the earmolds were considered minor.”

I also dig that he goes into explaining dampers and vents and their exact purposes. This is great!

Yes, the canal is the important thing. I always ask for deep canal and never get it.

http://instamold.com/silicones-for-the-hearing-professional/insta-mold-featherweight-instant-silicones/

If you get feedback when you smile, you could try holding a grin while the blue stuff is setting. But of course that would impair the fit when straight-faced. A very soft mould can work, provided the material does not irritate your ear. As for ‘anti-feedback’ - that’s great but I think it has to be cancellable if you like to enjoy or perform music.