MacOS Sonoma and Hearing Aids (MFi)

No. that is not true, you can’t assume that beta quaility software is going to interface with your HA perfectly…

What’s the difference? The bluetooth controller from the factory is reflashed taking into account the work on specific device profiles. The laptop must have a bluetooth module that meets all the requirements for hearing aids. Otherwise, nothing will work.
This is independent of the operating system.

From my neutral point of view, do you really think Apple gonna give priority to deaf folks? no, they probably assigned one engineer to fix all the issues with MFI HA and porting of the feature from ios to macos.

They probably know the issue with it and they are telling you to stfu in a nice way .

We are a very tiny subset of deaf people with guts to install pre public beta software and money to buy new toys and spend money that a lot of deaf people don’t have privilege to do so because it requires the most expensive mac of 2021 and the most recent mac of 2022… Put that into perspective in the eye of the company

2 Likes

Look, beta software is not complete and other part of the OS is not complete.

I know the issue., It the routing of the audio from any sources to the hearing aid is not complete, not the bluetooth protocol itself.

It detect and and communicate to the hearing aid fine,.

2 Likes

Yes it detects hearing aids fine, they just do not make it to core audio. Still if they don’t mark it as a known issue in the beta release notes they can expect a report from me.

It’s nothing to do with priorities. If you find a bug, report it. I have done with several other bugs. Let them prioritise.

If you don’t report these things they might not get fixed.

In this case the Bluetooth chipset is a Broadcom 4387 which shows in system report as supporting LEA. I can see in the logs the hearing aid is detected fine.

1 Like

Not at all. Just had a response from them asking for further logs.

My point is they had 9 years to port the MFI protocol to mac, they really do prioritize what feature to add bug fix for the public… They know the issue internally, you are just adding a log to their ticketing system, not making it a priority…

1 Like

Eh? They publicly announced that MFI hearing aids will be supported in Sonoma for M1/M2 macs. They already announced they are doing it.

1 Like

No, iMac M1 not supported.

don’t you understand beta is not complete software and apple made no promises the user until the software is out of beta in the fall and they can take it out if they don’t finish the MFI implementation

m1 Pro, m1 max, and m1 ultra is supported

At the risk of sounding like a whiner, I sure wish YOU GUYS would be on the development team at Apple for this so-called “miracle” connectivity to help hearing, et al.

What a JOKE. Apple Marketing seems to be on their own planet writing these superlatives about a device that many (if not most) here find doesn’t even WORK. I wonder how a call to Apple Tech Support would fare in terms of an actual resolution and informed advice?

Flying blind on our own - as usual. :expressionless:

1 Like

Dude. I’m well aware beta is not complete software. Nobody mentioned promises. They did announce it was coming in Sonoma and there’s a hearing aid MFI control panel etc…

It’s comments like this that put me off commenting on forums. I’m out of here.

Sorry about this but the problem is that Apple is a very secretive company and i have frustration over Apple in software development world. Some of the API are half baked in and stuff like that… Apple is not perfect company and I set my expectation low because I have been burned by apple half baked stuff in the past.

yeah look like Apple marketing team has gone on steroids

No, they won’t able to support unstable/unsupported software until the software is stable which will happen in the fall and you can leave a feedback but it will go into their ticketing system and lay dormant until the software development team gets to it because it is not a priority for them because they have other things to do which is prioritized than MFI

1 Like

Oh come on, nothing like a good robust discussion, nothing more :wink:

1 Like

So hearing aids and/or CI can now connect to Mac? And they are visible in Accessibility tab? But no sound from Mac to hearing instruments? I’m just trying to imagine this problem.

Yes, however, my sound processor showing in setting in beta 1 but now it is not showing up.

1 Like