MacOS Sonoma and Hearing Aids (MFi)

wrong, it actually does,

That’s interesting because my cochlear nucleus 8 and my hearing aid resound Enzo Q can’t connect with Mac mini m2 or my MacBook M1 Pro 14 :frowning: however connect with my iPhone works perfect via mfi :roll_eyes:

It currently not possible because of missing bidirectional MFI protocol. I have resound / Cochlear and it is not working right now…

2 Likes

Apple deceived us. Only certain computers with only certain processors and only certain hearing aids! Even when you bought right things - it turns out that the mouse and keyboard don’t work because Bluetooth protocol is busy with hearing aids!

1 Like

So CI processors are not supported with Sonoma.

Note no asterix after the product which means ok for iOS not for sonoma
Cochlear

• Baha 5
  • Baha 5 Power
  • Baha 5 SuperPower
  • Kanso 2 Sound Processor
  • Nucleus 7 Sound Processor

Cochlear Limited

• Kanso 2 Sound Processor
  • Nucleus 7 Sound Processor

It is interesting only 3 resound products make the Sonoma grade - given the same chip I am really curious why the oversight.

There is a very small proportion of Sonoma supported devices so we have to be loud and proud!

I strongly suggest we all CI recipients provide very strong feedback to Apple that this is unacceptable and a very much desired feature for we very, very deaf people.

Choose your device as I did, my MacBook Pro and offer a very strong feature request for Sonoma. What is the point of not supporting devices only provided to severely impaired people?
Ensure you remind them of the huge demand in the CI community.
I have 2 both cochlear nucleus 7.

5 Likes

I have had trouble finding the list for my rig: Macbookpro 2021 M1Max chip. Apple say “some HA’s with M1 Max chip” I got it to work once. Seems buggy, but I did get it working. I probably need to do use it more so I am more familiar with the process.

Have found the handoff between iPhone and Mac to sometimes be less than graceful. For example, if I start audio on the Mac without first pairing with the iPhone, that works fine. Then, starting audio on the iPhone gets switched to fine. However, if I then switch to audio on the Mac, I have to manually select the HAs as the Mac’s speakers are used instead.

There are numerous variations of this switching sequence, and I haven’t tested any of them rigorously. I’m posting this as just a note to take notice.

This lack of perfect switching between devices is, for me, a quality-of-life level of issue compared to just having them work at all. Usually, software or hardware updates improve matters over time. I know HA hardware costs are steep and bring up difficult feelings, so while it’s easy to type “…hardware updates improve matters.” the reality of doing that takes something!

1 Like

No joy yet for me. I have Oticon More 1 (firmware 1.4.3). I have a 2021 MacBook Pro (M1 Pro chip) which is on the supported list. Running macOS Sonoma 14.0

When I go to Settings->Accessibility->Hearing Devices, my HAs will sometimes show up under Available Devices but the asterisk on the same line keeps spinning and the Connect button is grayed out.

Any suggestions from someone who has been able to make this work?

Sonoma 14.1 dropped today. Wondering if that will improve things for anyone.

WH

Didn’t help me. Hearing Aids (More 1) show up in Available Devices, but Connect button is grayed out.

I solved this problem by purchasing Connectclip. No more wrong computers, no more wrong processors, no more wrong macOS.

Forget from your system and try pairing again. Your HA is supported. It can be fickle though.

@oxothuk, I just got the Reals after been a More user and if @user1218 suggestion does not work, do you have a Magic Mouse or a Magic Keyboard? I experienced the greyed out connect button and then turned of my Magic Mouse and Magic Keyboard and could then connect the new Real’s.

Hope that helps…

1 Like

I wasn’t quite sure what user1218 was suggesting. I’ve never been able to pair my More’s with the MacBook, so how would I get the Mac to “forget” them?

I do have a Magic Mouse/Magic Keyboard and have wondered if that was part of the problem. However, I tried turning them off and just using the built-in keyboard/trackpad and I still get the same result.

Ok…. You probably already did this and maybe one more thing to try. When you turned off the keyboard and mouse, did you also then restart the hearing aid searching function in accessibility on the Mac and power down and power back on the hearing aids? This is what I had to do to get the button not to be greyed out…. YMMV.

Shop Oticon Connectclip, Resound Multimic and other Bluetooth accessories for your hearing instruments. Apple has fooled us once again.

I had to open a chat with Apple, but I finally got my HAs to work with the MacBook (sort of). The problem turned out to be incompatibility with my old Apple bluetooth keyboard (I thought I had already eliminated that as a cause, but apparently not). The incompatibility only shows up when trying to pair the HAs; once they are paired I can use the old keyboard with no problems.

Now I’m trying to figure out how useful it is to connect my HAs to the MacBook, when most of the time I want to use them with my iPhone. It seems like I have to turn the iPhone’s Bluetooth off/on in order to switch between iPhone and MacBook. Not as seamless as I would like.

1 Like

This is also my experience. It’s a hassle to
turn Bluetooth on and off to alternate between the iPhone and the Mac and then the iPad. On the other hand, it’s great to watch movies on the MacBook when traveling with the sound straight to the HAs.

Good to hear that you got it working.

My impression as well. They work fine when connected to just one device (iPad, Mac, or iPhone). I’ve ended up leaving my Mores connected only to my iPhone now and grabbing over-the-ear headphones whenever I need to listen to audio from my Mac. Just to avoid the hassle…

3 Likes

For me the bluetoooth implementation blows. But on my MBP running Sonoma the evokes pair right up. THe Oticon More is always more finicky. It’s like you have to shut off blue tooth on any other device and reboot. I suffered through endless hang up because Apple wants to connect their watch first, their phone first and blah blah blah and by that time the HA’s do not pick up. Widex bluetooth implementation is far superior than Oticon. Both of the suffer. Other bluetooth devices in the vicinity have to be shut off. It is the same with all third party devices. All the companies want you to surrender to thir platforms and go completely vertical.

The focus has become more centered on exclusivity and making money than pushing the envelope forward to help the end user.

It is a battle one cannot win.

1 Like