Mac hearing aid streaming audio bluetooth LE project

Hello everyone! I wanted to share an exciting project that I’ve been working on with @ssa. It’s a mac app for streaming audio using the ASHA protocol that is used in Android. Right now, it’s only able to discover hearing aids that are ASHA compatible and read basic device information from them. The next step is to get the audio streaming working. We thought it was an important project to work on in light of Apple making audio streaming on the mac inaccessible to deaf people with hearing aid devices that don’t support bi-directional streaming. This is what motivated us to work on it and we need as much help as possible. Here is the GitHub repo for people who want to help contribute: GitHub - hxk1633/MacASHAStreamerApp. We will accept any contributions to this project. I thought posting it here would be appropriate to be able to communicate about this project as well. I’d love to hear what you all think. Thank you!

1 Like

Hey, this looks really cool. Unfortunately I won’t be able to help at all because I am not a Mac user.

I’ve thought about trying to do something similar using a Rasperry Pi Pico W microcontroller, but my bluetooth skills are rather non-existent, especially the lower level stuff required for ASHA streaming.

Great project, could you go one step further and get apple (MFi) protocol to work on Android phone without ASHA.

You are welcome to contribute to the linux project GitHub - Jah-On/LASHA: Linux ASHA driver app!