M&RIE in ear mic not active

I am currently testing Beltone Serene with M&RIE. To my big surprise the microphone in the ear only seems to be active in the “Outdoor” setting. (Testet by touching the mic with a fingertip) I found this aid particularly interesting because of the M&RIE. I have no hearing in right ear and a moderate loss in the left ear. It was my hope that the M&RIE could help single out voices in a crowd. My audiologists response was that it only can be activated in other programs if I was using aids on both ears. Can this really be true ?

I do not know what difference between one ear or two ears with M&RIE Receivers. However in the All Around program the default 360 All Around Directionality’ uses M&RIE Directionality in low noise situations. That is how it works for me with two hearing aids. It is supposed to use the HA mics more as noise increases. That is my understanding.

1 Like

That’s right, in noise the in ear mic is dropped in favor of the directional mic.

1 Like

Thank you for the replies ! Am I misunderstanding something here ? Isn’t it in noisy situations that M&RIE is supposed to further help focus in on a speaking person in front of me via the pinna ? And therefor be most active when there is speech in noise.

In the naturally hearing ear, the pinna filters high frequencies and adds sort of a spectral finger print that helps your brain localize sound. Behind the ear hearing aids lose this. The M&RIE is supposed to help restore this effect (presuming you still have sufficient high frequency hearing), but it’s not as powerful for noise suppression as directional mics are.

1 Like