Lumity vs Paradise

Yes! The Bluetooth is surprisingly rock solid. As @WhiteHat just said. How well are you hearing? How are your hearing in busy sound environments? That’s what has blown me away with Lumity. I’m hearing things I haven’t heard in 20 years and my hearing isn’t so good.

Jordan

2 Likes

Unfortunately I am not the guy to comment on the “cocktail party” problem, or any facility with large gatherings. All of my Phonak aids have provided ample understanding for individual conversations. I really haven’t noticed any change to hearing people, music, or TV with the Lumity aids.

2 Likes

Nothing really, all they did was update the Autosence…but it seems a few people have noticed “something” different, and are saying its better, so yeah if you can get into your local mall and bar/restaurant to see how they work for you would be good.

Just came back from a walk and noticed something new. With my previous Phonak aids, when I would pause music after finishing a walk, the aids would stay in the streaming program. And if I forgot to manually switch back to AutoSense, the Bluetooth receiver would stay on and be a drain on the battery. Today I noticed (and confirmed) that pausing music automatically switches the Lumity aids back to AutoSense. I wonder if the same will apply to TV streaming using the TV Connector … I’ll have to try that this evening!

1 Like

I was just in a very noisy restaurant situation talking to someone with a thick Indian accent and had no problem at all.

It’s hard to say if it would have been any different with the P90s though.
It seems like an almost impossible task to compare such subjective experiences.

1 Like

bingo! that’s why I like to read as many reviews as possible and I find people’s experience soothing somewhat…hearing is such a personal weird thing…

1 Like

My P90s switch back in about 3-5 seconds at end of play. Sometimes it switches in between programs on my podcast player. The tv connector on optical connection stays lit as long as it has power and the source is on. Even with no audio. Tv connector on analog connection flips back to autosense after about 40sec of no program. Not sure what your experience will be.

WH

2 Likes

My Marvels never stay in streaming mode.

Wonder if your Paradise were defective?

I just checked the data log in Phonak Target and in the first two full days of usage I managed 16.5 and 16 hours with 38% streaming (~6 hours per day).
I didn’t check the battery level either night but both lights were amber which I think is >20%?
This is about a hour more than I’d get before my main P90 Bluetooth aid went red and gave me a warning tone.

It’s worth noting that the battery drain is pretty much identical between both aids whereas with my P90s there was always a 10ish% difference by the very end of the day between the main Bluetooth HA and the slave. I mainly stream from a PC and a Pixel 6 Pro but sometimes from a Phonak TV connector V2.

The L90s seem to have the same battery levels throughout the day ±1%: I have my main Bluetooth aid set as the one that handles slightly less amplification which for me is my left ear.

If I knew that it was going to be a long day then I used to charge my P90s for 15mins in the afternoon to be safe but so far I don’t see that as being necessary with the L90s and going on the early results I could probably push them to 18+ hours even with 6 hours of streaming.

My P90s are only 4 months old and during that time I didn’t notice any degradation in the battery so I feel that this is a fair comparison between the two, albeit based on very limited data!

For me this is further evidence that there has been a major overhaul of the Bluetooth stack: i.e improved power consumption.

My earlier observations about the video/audio frame sync seem to be holding true and although the TV connector is better I really doubt that many people would notice.
I can watch someone clap their hands on video and if I had to guess I’d say that it is only a frame, possibly two, out which at 30fps is equivalent to looking at someone clap 10-20 meters/yards away. The P90s weren’t much worse with Bluetooth and loss of speech sync wasn’t really noticeable but something like a clap or a door slam was.

@WhiteHat, is the TV connector for Lumity the same as the Paradise one? I’m going to be updating to Lumity HAs and really don’t want to buy another TV connector :wink:

1 Like

@BeLo with my Paradise 90s when I take them out of the charger a music page song pops up. It ,would, allow me to hit the play button. This happens all the time. Someone said Phonak knows about it. Do you know if there is a fix. I haven’t explain very well, sorry.

1 Like

Yes. When the hearing aids first connect on my iPhone, the Apple Music player (with the last song played) pops up on the lock screen. Is this what you are referring to?

The reason this happens is that the iPhone thinks my Lumity hearing aids are bluetooth headphones (because Lumity and Paradise use bluetooth classic) and it opens the Apple Music widget on the lock screen so that you can listen to music without unlocking the phone.

Not sure if this is a bug or done by design. As a minimum, I would like to optionally turn this feature off.

Jordan

2 Likes

@JordanK Yes! That’s exactly what I’m talking about. It’s annoying and like you would like to turn it off. I believe it started happening with a iPhone update or maybe Phonak’s. It’s been awhile. Thank you for the explanation. Appreciated.

1 Like

It only started happening with me when I started trialling the Phonak hearing aids (which use bluetooth classic). Didn’t happen with Resound hearing aids (which use Apple MFI).

If you search on Google, you will notice many people complaining about it and most are not using hearing aids. They are using bluetooth headphones or AirPods, etc.

Jordan

2 Likes

My Marvels do the same.

1 Like

I received the Lumity about three weeks ago replacing the Paradise which I had received at the end of August. I decided to change to the Lumity since I was still in the trial period and it seemed the Lumity would be an upgrade. With the Lumity I am having an issue that I did not have with the Paradise. I am getting significant feedback (buzzing) particularly in my right ear. I have a return appointment with my audiologist next week and hopefully this can be solved through her making adjustments. Otherwise I don’t notice a big difference between the Lumity and the Paradise. However, I have not been in noisy environments such as a restaurant to see if the Lumity is an improvement in those situations. My wife does think I hear her better with the Lumity. So at this point I am not sure the Lumity is an improvement, at least for me.

2 Likes

It happens with Surface BT headphones, too, so it’s not an HA-specific problem. It’s another example of Apple figuring its way should be your way and not giving you an obvious way to do away with the “feature.”

Edit_Update: The other thing that I’ve found with the Surface headphones is that my iPhone can resume playing the last podcast I was listening to. Not sure if it’s me accidentally hitting the play button on the lock screen iPhone podcast player or just another helpful extension of “what you probably should do next.” I find in iOS 16 that it’s too easy to do the wrong thing. Press on a home screen or lock screen accidentally starts editing the screen. Swipe too vigorously to the left and turn the camera on, the podcast playing nonsense, etc.

1 Like

Yes…

WH

1 Like

Thank you White Hat!

Zebras , did you see JordonK’s explanation.