Lumity L90RL sent in for repair

My Phonak Lumity L90 RL , the right one , just quit charging. I tried everything, ie putting in separate charging hole, turning HA off and on etc. The left one is just fine, so my Audi just sent it in for repair. My question is does REM need to be performed again? Thanks!

1 Like

It probably depends on what they have to do in the course of the repair. It certainly would matter if they replace the unit as they may do.

If the serial number of the returned aid is NOT the same as the original, then its a new (to you) device. Once programmed, I’d want a REM done to ensure its performing as your prescription demands.

You’ll find your original serial numbers in the Audiologist’s records and (probably) on the original invoice.

1 Like

Even if you get a different device I’d think that if the programming is identical to the old device that REM would not be needed.

3 Likes

One of the principal benefits of REM (IMHO) is that it enables calibration of sound output of the individual device, so that the Audi has a proper known base upon which s/he can build their adjustment ‘magic’.

My Paradise was once replaced by Phonak but had the same serial number. I guess it depends on the country. Was programmed equally as the defective one. Depends on the defect. If they still can read the programming from the old device (not completly damaged).
Anyway, your Audi has your latest programming in his database and can reprogram your new device before he hands it out to you.

1 Like

Next time, hold the downward button for 30 sec and put it back in the charger. That’s the reset procedure, fixes this problem 80% of the time.

6 Likes

The clinician can check this in the test box without you in the office though. If you have a test box measure of the appropriate on-ear response, you use it as a reference. You can also check other features in the test box to make sure they are working appropriately. Quality control from manufacturers has gone way up, but once in a while we will still catch, say, malfunctioning directional mics on a device just back from repair and have to send it for re-repair.

A lot of these checks are done behind the scenes and the user doesn’t know. Alternatively they are not done, in which case redoing REM to confirm function on the individual device would be appropriate.

3 Likes

I had to do the 30 sec reset yesterday. Left aid went into outer space. Wouldn’t shut off or turn on, wasn’t seen in the app, etc. Wouldn’t charge in the charger. After the reset it started blinking in the charger and turned on, acted normally the rest of the day.

Recommend keeping the 30 sec reset in your hip pocket for just in case.

WH

5 Likes

Thank you!

I can never remember this! Time to make a note in my phone!

DaveL

1 Like

@Dutch_Audi I did not know this & my Audi didn’t mention. Going to pick up HA tomorrow. I think I’ll mention. Thank you

1 Like

@WhiteHat. Thanks. I’ll do just that!

I found it by googling “Owner’s Manual” for my hearing aids. Paradise P90’s.
I printed it off.

However, I had to read the manual through each time I had a problem…

It was frustrating. Now I have a note on my phone to refer to!

DaveL

2 Likes

Funnily enough, I was talking to my audi just yesterday about how I wanted that model since the Lumity is the newest brand, until I found out that they don’t take batteries that can be changed when they poop out. Mentioned my (rechargeable) phone, watch, etc and how they always begin to decline over time, and usually far too soon for my liking, how I disliked “having to” pay more for extended warranties to keep from having to deal, disliked having to learn “tricks” to “uncouple” the Watch from the Phone, having to “reset” the Phone, on and on.
I’m too old to want to have to deal with any of that, I told him, and I want BATTERIES like my old Phonaks.
I don’t hear the ‘warning beeps’ any longer, haven’t for some time, but I can surely tell when an ear goes out, haha. Change the battery, problem solved. So I didn’t want to get the newest and most modern.
He just smiled and told me that this wouldn’t be an issue for me anyway since the Lumity wouldn’t be anywhere near loud enough for someone as deaf as a Spider; and recommended the EXACT Naidas that everyone HERE recommended. I chuckled and told him about you good people.
He simply responded, “They are correct. You found a good Forum this time.”

2 Likes

I would not want to assume that the faulty device was 100% before it went splat. Have REM done as a check would be my approach.

1 Like