Lumity Automatic Programme Observations

I don’t use all the programmes my Lumity Aids came with. I find the Automatic programme" adequately covers most situations (when not using the TV connector). I am especially impressed at how effective this programme is in the car. When I first start the car and drive away the engine and road noise is quite loud but after about 20 seconds the auto feature kicks in and the car noise gradually fades away – except for the car’s warning chimes, direction indicator clicker, navigation voice etc. Leaving conversation with your passengers now very audible.

There is just one problem – as I’m driving along from time to time there is suddenly a burst of very loud noise which lasts for about 15 seconds that can be quite startling. It seems to be caused by my android phone advising a notification. I have turned off notifications for most apps to improve matters – but have yet to solve the problem.

It would be great if the Speech in Loud Noise programme was as effective. I have used the “My Phonak” app on my phone to tinker with the various settings and create and save my own programmes without any success whatsoever. I no longer use this programme - it’s no better than Automatic. The same applies to Comfort in Echo - I have yet to find an environment it helped with.

It leaves me wondering why the automatic programme is so effective in a noisy car - yet unable to replicate the same behaviour when you walk into a noisy restaurant for example.

I imagine that the automatic prgramme employs to the other fixed programmes according to the environment it senses. In which case why is “Speech in Loud Noise” so ineffective in a car.

I’ve had Phonak Audeo Paradise P90R’s for almost two years. It’s been a rough path.

I’ve learned some things.

The Domes are critically important. I’ve had open domes, closed domes (with 2 little tiny holes) and power domes. I detest the power domes.
The ah-ha moment came when i put a finger in each ear. Suddenly the volume from my hearing aids was at least twice as loud. The open domes didn’t seal my ears. So I saw my audiologist and he gave me 3 sizes of closed domes. I need the large ones. (a previous audiologist gave me large power domes twice. They disturbed me, and I went back to closed domes. They bothered my ear canal a lot.

I experimented after work one day. We have a very noisy hand dryer. It’s awful. I used the hand dryer and then adjusted the program using the APP. My hearing aids switched very quickly when they were in the autosense program. 10 seconds or so…
I used the APP and altered the program. Then I repeated my experiment. I found that the altered program was no longer autosense. I was locked in with whatever settings I had saved. Observation…my smart hearing aids were now not smart at all. I was locked into the settings I had saved. What if my environment changed? I had to be in autosense to have the proper program. I also found that I used my rechargeable batteries up quicker. They didn’t last all day as I wanted them to…I had to recharge my hearing aids during the day. Not good…

You can use myPhonak to see what the settings are. Alter the program while you’re in the car. See what the displays tell you. Then do the same with “speech in loud noise” and see the difference.

You can self program and change the settings if you are so inclined. diy. There’s lots on this forum. Or if you don’t do that, you can have your audi make changes to “speech in loud noise” so that it replicates the setting you noted in the automatic program. The programming software is pc oriented (I have an iMac, and I’m not computer-smart)

Oh…I use Waze. The notifications used to drive me crazy. Could that be an issue for you? Someone else more expert than I will be able to help you

DaveL

As for me I want a better setup. I need a new audiologist.

2 Likes

I have been having problems with large power domes making my ear canal sore. It may be that I have become allergic to the soft material. After much fiddling around with different sizes and types of domes and the effect they have on feedback and noise leakage, I have decided to try hard moulds. They are being fitted on Friday of this week - should be an interesting experiment,

1 Like

I hope and trust that they work well for you.

(I’m focusing hard on getting a new audiologist. When mine suggested I look around he erased my hearing aids and did a quick fit, with no additional programming. I even have problem making cell phone calls with them dropping. I wished him well when I left. After the mess he left me in, I’m now wishing him a happy healthy retirement. I’ll contribute 10 bucks to a retirement gift. Sorry. satire…)

DaveL
Toronto

Yesterday I picked up my Lumity Aids and so far I can’t tell if they even change programmes when I’m in different environments, such as driving in car, outside, or at busy grocery store. I’m a first time HA user and so much of the sound is different, clicks or paper crackling that I never heard before, so maybe that is distracting my attention from other changes the aids are making? Is there some way to determine which auto program is being used?

Open the myPhonak app when in the automatic program. Hit the “Adjust Program” button below the volume slider. Look at the top of the screen to see what automatic mode you are in.

3 Likes