This weekend, it was pretty warm and I walked down to my beehives to give them a quick check. After lifting the lids and peeking in to check on them, a few of the guard bees got a little agitated and came after me. I wasn’t suited up and don’t normally suit up for a quick check. As I was buzzed, I must have swatted and knocked my HA off my head and didn’t notice.
We went to a friend’s baby’s birthday party, where we all wore hats and enjoyed the company. When we got home, I tried to watch a short video on my phone and realized my HA’s were not working. Then that dreaded feeling hit the pit of my stomach when I reached up and there was nothing in my right ear.
I assumed I lost it at the party and called our host. No luck. It rained cats and dogs Saturday night and while I was reflecting on the day, thought just maybe I lost it near the hives. I went out with a headlamp and flashlight and looked for around 30 minutes in the pouring down rain. No luck. The next morning, I developed a plan.
I walked out to the apiary and tried to connect my right HA to Bluetooth and it worked! So, then I walked until it lost signal, turned around and walked back slowly until it connected again. I did that in all four directions to narrow down the area to around 30 square feet. Then I put on some streaming music, turned up the volume to max and disconnected my left hearing aid. To help, I got my 22-year-old daughter and she heard a faint sound and then found the hearing aid!
I don’t know how it survived in the soaking rain, but it did. I dried it out, replaced the wax guard and let it run through the dryer for a couple of cycles. Now, I’m thinking of buying a second pair as a backup.
Anyway, thought the Bluetooth method along with streaming might be helpful if someone loses their HA in deep grass with a lot of leaves. Lesson learned, take the HAs off when working with bees.