Looking at Resound One-7. Should I get rechargeable batteries or standard?

@SpudGunner - Unless you’re pulling my leg (entirely possible) … I checked, and your Oticons appear to use wireless charging. It’s not the cable to the charger, it’s how the charger “connects” to the hearing aids. The Oticon site says, “charging via contact-free inductive technology” - which is wireless. If there are gold pads on the bottom of you HAs and inside the charger, then they would have contacts and not be wireless.

Don’t get worried about it, though. You’ll have them for quite a while to see how they hold up over time. Again, it is new technology. Everything could be great, and the HA rechargeables may last for a really long time. As a backup, many folks have mentioned that they bring their aids back in to the audi near the end of their warranty period for a free “tune-up”, which gets you new rechargeable batteries and effectively extend the life.

If you are pullin’ my leg, though … Owtch!!

:grin:

AzJazz

2 Likes

Now … would I pull your leg?

🥸
:chair::chair::chair:

[… pretty sure that the receiver telecoil antennas sticking out of the ear moulds are wireless, too! You’re a sharp cookie, @AzJazz!]

I’ve read and reread this point, @AzJazz, and I’m imagining a morning in the (maybe not-too-distant) future when I put in my devices, check their status on the ON app, and discover they’re only 98% charged!

I will not be a happy camper!

I have been reading lots of related information on disposable batteries, too, and coming to the conclusion that zinc/air batteries are probably not as bad for the environment as the cumulative footprint of Li-Po manufacturing and end-of-life disposal.
(Are Li-Pos recyclable, at all?).

You’ve got me wondering - if Oticon offers a disposable More3 in the near future and my audiologist offers me a swap, what will I do?

If the disposable model uses 312s that will last 5-7 days, I’d likely do the swap. Manufacturers, however, have done a lousy job informing us of why, exactly, the stampede to Li-Po. Some questions are:

1. Do disposables put out enough juice to power the new chipset?

2. Are the new electronics with 28nm architecture more susceptible to water/dust ingress such that semi-sealed battery compartments are required?

3. Are there HAs - still just concepts on the drawing board - that have specs that dictate the use of Li-Po cells?

My hearing loss is severe/profound (not sure which I should call myself), consequently, I absolutely need my hearing machines in order for me to function effectively. My More3s work extremely well for me, and I am very “attached” to them: recharging them is akin to feeding a pet. And I’m not the only one in this boat.

Manufacturers seem not to give a damn about our emotions and our dependency on their devices, so we’re left with these nagging, unsettling questions.

1 Like

@Zebras: Thanks for your input … now I’m more confused, however. My audiologist says severe to profound, but your take seems more realistic given my audiogram up to about 2.5k.

Profound is 90dB or worse. 6k and 8k really don’t count. They can be useful but many (most?) of us don’t get much useful info from that range without some form of frequency lowering. Don’t know about Oticon, but Phonak Paradise needs the higher voltage of Lithium ion batteries for some of it’s features to work. Zinc air only generates ~1.4 volts. Lithium ion’s about 3.7.

@MDB: Thanks for the further clarification of the description of my loss. I understand what you and @Zebras are seeing/saying, and I concur (FWIW).

[Edit: :confused: If my loss isn’t that severe, how come my word recognition scores are low, then? I don’t understand.]

@MDB: And your explanation of operating voltages for Li-Po is also what I suspected.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

@Zebras: My Oticon More3s are probably the first HAs that I’ve worn for more than 12 hours a day (16+, actually) day in and day out.

I’d like to see whether my brain hearing has improved any as a consequence.

1 Like

:confused:I hope that reachers don’t start telling parents that their poorly-performing children have “lazy ears”!

Allowing your aids to be properly fit to the point that some sounds are new and maybe not comfortable is how the brain learns. Do you know if your aids are at 100% gain for your prescription fitting?

Word understanding can plummet when aids are not set right or not worn enough each day. The brain needs to hear the sounds of speech to maintain word understanding.

Good luck with this. It takes persistence.

Sorry to be off topic, OP.

@Raudrive Yes, my aids are at 100% if the prescriptive value, Rick. I’ve been completely honest with my audi about my past despondency and lack of use.

We have a pact of unabridged honesty and a brutally aggressive approach to implementing prescriptive targets.

I respect his judgement and recommendations completely.

1 Like