Longer hair with hearing aids

Do you think that having longer hair (covering up the hearing aids) makes much of a difference with how well the user hears?

It never would when one’s hearing was good.

That’s true KenP. I just thought maybe because of the Microphones being so small that being covered up might make a difference.

• Updated -

Back in the 70’s when I wore my hair longer, I noticed it didn’t make any real difference, except you could hear your hair rattling against the microphone here and there.

— Updated —

Back in the 70’s when I wore my hair longer, I noticed it didn’t make any real difference, except you could hear your hair rattling against the microphone here and there.

I find longer hair helps. I get much less wind noise when my hair is over the aids. The only time It’s a slight problem is when my hair is at a length such that the ends poke into the microphones.

soundwaves aren’t infrared that need direct visual travel to work well. If I have a wool cap over my head (covering everything above my earlobe), I think I hear very slightly worse, and that’s alot more than just hair, so you can simply add some gain to it and you would be fine…

I have long hair that reaches my middle. The most trouble I have is when it’s tugged behind the aid: moving my head around makes noise. So I make sure no hairs are tugged behind the aids. A minor thing is that even pointing out that I have hearing aids and I can’t understand most of what they are saying, people just don’t get it: Why don’t you go to the doctor? I actually have to pull them away from my ears to show them: Idiots abound! (For the less communication prone HA users, this would actually be a plus.)

It does not affect your ability to hear. it only affects hair rustling noises and the HAs make it difficult to tuck your hair behind your ears when you need it out of the way temporarily. Some people like that the hair covers the aids so they are not visible.

Chance would be a fine thing. !

Weighing in with my own hairy response: Female, hair reaches a couple inches past chin. While my hair is thin and straight, it DOES get in the way annoyingly with the BTE mics. In fact for years that was a fatal flaw: with the mic behind the ear, hair rustles on its own, glasses arms clunk and clank on top of it, wearing a warm hat when it’s 27F out (as it is today) makes the aids whistle a merry tune … NO bike helmet works on top of these. But I digress …

NO, having hair does not compromise what I hear, but it does impact the quality and irksomeness of the experience - hope that helps.

Hopefully it’s the men who have the chin hair. Actually women wear their head hair at any length but we don’t call it long when it just reaches the hearing aids. And collar length is only medium length at best. I also know one man whose hair is past his waist. It’s all relative.

Is there a reason you asked? Seems that a majority of HA wearers that are women still have long hair. At least that’s been my observation.

^^^ LOL! I did have a “chin hair” once upon a time! But I kept plucking it till it got the message. One more joy of passing 50 yrs old.

I’ve known many a man with waist-length hair! They were all Sikhs - including my late father-in-law, who wore aids, but battled them fiercely the few remaining years of his life.