Local vs Online: Beeeeg Price Diff

For Phonak Audeo Lumity Life L90’s my local hearing clinic wants $5300.

But the online price I found is $3600.

Understood that somebody has to pay the local audiologist.

That being the case, can somebody suggest acreasonable local price for dickering purposes?

What level of care is being provided? Free domes & wax filters? Free quarterly cleaning or more often? Annual exams and tuneups? There are a lot of things left ambiguous and each could be charged for individually, or for service contracts for different periods of time. The first practice to test my hearing after recognition of was having trouble was at Mass Eye & Ear. They are now unbundled. You can pay as you go, or pay for contracts for various amounts of time. Mass Eye and Ear Audiological support unbundling I suppose you could contact them and get a menu of services and associated costs.

WH

1 Like

Or you could try a middle ground like ZipHearing which will charge about $4,600 for the aids including fitting and one year follow up service by a local audiologist. If you go the online only route you will not be fitted using Real Ear Measurement which seems to be the best way of getting a good fitting. To get a REM fitting after buying on line costs an additional $800 in my area. Many on this forum will say, and I agree, that most hearing aids can work well if fitted correctly, but the selection of an audiologist is more important than which aids are selected.

With all that said, Costco sells premium hearing aids and lifetime service for $1,500. They also have a 6 month return period.

5 Likes

The price for the Lumity 90 at Zip Hearing is $4400. However, your choice of audiologist, which comes with the purchase, will be limited and the number of follow up appointments will be limited. So, some of that savings may be eaten up over time with those follow up appointments.

$5300 is a very good price for the L90.

One way to save money is to drop down to the L70. You don’t really lose a lot with the L70 to the point where you might not even notice the difference between the two unless you’re in very demanding environments. You can save &800-$1000+ depending on the seller with that trade off.

My understanding is that CostCo sells one generation behind the latest.

?

@confirm

No, Costco’s hearing aids are the latest. They may release the Costco version a couple or more months after release to independent audiologists but they are not a year behind.

4 Likes

I have no problem with $5300 as long as it is reasonable - so I will probably stick with the L90s.

What I want the biggest, baddest, and best of are Bluetooth connectivity and the ability to focus through background noise in a restaurant.

So far, I have to say that I really like the Phonak app and the ability to quickly and easily switch between setups.

What I am not impressed with so far is availability of TV audio streaming devices. The only one I have found lacks digital/optical input. OTOH, once I actually try it maybe it’ll be just fine…

Sounds like I will be driving to my local CostCo tomorrow then…

1 Like

@confirm The Jaba is the latest model from GN (Resound) and was released some time ago. The latest Phillips, model 9050 (from Demant/Oticon) is expected very soon. It was reported that HAS’s will be in training for the 9050 this week. The Rexton Reach, the latest from WSAudiology/Signia is hoped for soon also. So don’t drive too fast :grin:

2 Likes

Phonak TV connector is able to take a toslink optical cable through the 3.5mm port.

Check out the manual. Phonak TV Connector user guide

If I were buying one, I’d buy a V2.0 model off eBay.
Cheaper and probably having volume controls the model sold as new didn’t have because they ran out of parts.

WH

2 Likes

There can be a long lag for the latest from Costco. Rexton, for example, is just a rebranded Signia. So when Rexton came out with the IX technology on the Reach In February, that was already 5 months behind the release of that same technology on the Pure Charge&Go IX by Signia in September. Even if Costco offers the Reach in June, we’re still talking about a 9 month delay.

I have the L90. Definitely the best out there for bluetooth connections. I use the Phonak TV transmitter. Works great. You can also use the Roger On as a TV transmitter.

I recommend the Roger On for noise situations. It is fabulous when set up correctly. Here are what i think are the critical setup/operating factors for the Roger On.

1. Have the Roger program set for strong noiseblock

2. Sit with your back to the noise, when possible

3. Turn on the Roger On.

4. Mute your hearing aid mics

5. Place the Roger On near the middle of the table, with the usb port pointed toward you.

6. Start the My Roger app so you can adjust the pie to block out as much background as you can

7. Enjoy the sound at your table!

1 Like

Have you not tried the Phonak TV Connector?

Got one arriving sometime next week, although I suspect it is the one without buttons on top.

I have the one without, and am entirely happy with it. I have it on a smart plug, so I can choose whether I want it on or off. Volume is controlled by the HAs

1 Like