Lifespan of Phonak Paradise Receiver?

I just visited my Audiologist yesterday because my Left Paradise P90 RT HA began not functioning properly- can only describe it as sounds suddenly becoming muffled, volume reduction, various frequencies no longer being heard, etc. Replaced the wax guard, installed a new dome, etc., with no effect. My Audio replaced the receiver in my Left HA, which seemed to remedy the problem.

Had also began experiencing issues with my Right HA intermittently “cutting out” (not actually turning off)- with no sound or “pairing” (sending sounds to the Left HA) with the Left HA- for about 5-10 seconds, then coming back on. This behavior seemed to begin occurring every week or other week about 9 months ago. To address this problem, my audiologist replaced the receiver in the Right HA about 6 months ago, which stopped this behavior for about 2-3 months, but then it began happening again every week or two. Prior to the problem with my Left HA noted in the first paragraph above, I also noticed this same intermittent “sound cutting out” behavior in my Left HA about 2 months ago as well.

I have never dropped or submerged either HA in water, and other than some sweating very occasionally that produced some moisture behind my ears, I have always taken extra care to protect and care for them, even purchasing the new Phonak “Charge & Care” charging case that also dries and sanitizes the HA with a fan and UV light. My question is: is it normal for Phonak Receivers to have a lifespan of only 6 months or so? I have worn various brands of HA’s (primarily Widex) for the past 20 years, and can’t recall ever experiencing Receiver failure over several years, if at all, and especially not every 6 months or so!

I had the same type of Phonak Paradise receiver fail on me after about 10 weeks of usage. I was a bit surprised but I had spares that I’d bought from eBay so it wasn’t a massive problem.

It seemed to be the connection between the wire and the receiver body that failed. It’s not ideal!

1 Like

There was a review that stated the ActiveVent receivers are supposed to be replaced every 6 months.

Many manufacturers state expected receiver life as 2 years.

I believe the active vent receiver warranty is only 6 months and then they recommend replacing them out of pocket cost… the ordinary receivers are warranted for 2 yrs.

Mine was a standard 2P 4.0 Phonak receiver.

I had 14 months on my KS10 receivers and one wasn’t taking wax guards easily. Audio at Costco swapped both out for new ones I was pleased to see its easy-ish to do.

As I have spares, I tried changing a receiver on my KS10’s pushed the locking pin too far, it fell out and was unable to find it. Contacted Costco Edinburgh UK, to enquire if I could get a replacement pin. Audiologist said they are not allowed to even change KS10 receivers anymore, and have to be sent for repair, most likely to Sonova. That would probably mean weeks without aids.

If you order a new receiver online it will come with a new pin.

Weird that Sonova reverted to the pin design after years of the white lock mechanism.

Seriously? I was in Costco Edinburgh at the end of November and had both receivers swapped out. Further fall out from the breakup from hell I wonder? Or Costco making sure Sonova honour whatever exists contractually between them?

1 Like

Thanks. Um_bongo https://www.hearingaidaccessories.co.uk Contacted these people but they said no, even though it does say on the web page, that the new receiver comes with a replacement pin.