Left (or both?) Signia Pure C&G T 7IX gets into state in which it toggles being active about every 5 seconds while connected to Bluetooth (but streaming is OK)

Passing on what I sent to Signia about this issue in case helpful to anybody else!

Please describe your issue:
Using Signia Pure C&G T 7IX hearing aids. Since my most recent adjustments with the audiologist (when we notably turned off outside sound amplification while streaming!), my left hearing aid [update: actually it appears to be both!] will often get into a state in which it toggles between amplifying outside sound (normal behavior) and cutting off the outside sound every five seconds or so. Although streaming and dictation turn off outside sound amplification as expected, m when I stop streaming, it returns to toggling between amplifying the outside sound and stopping (as though streaming or dictation were periodically happening).

When this starts happening, the ONLY things that fix the problem are

1. keeping Bluetooth turned off (the problem returns when Bluetooth is turned back on) — this really isn’t acceptable, since with Bluetooth off I cannot control the hearing aid from the phone or stream), and

2. rebooting the phone.

The following things do NOT help: terminating all streaming programs, turning Bluetooth off and back on, changing settings in iOS Settings or Signia app, and restarting the hearing aids

This problem happened in two iOS 17.3 betas [update: and iOS 17 final]. I am guessing that it has something to do with our turning off surrounding sound input amplification during audio streaming (although that was not the only change, and we also changed to a larger size speaker).

One more possible clue: it seems that connecting Bluetooth headphones may trigger the problem to start to happen, but it is not necessary for this problem to start happening, and disconnecting those headphones does not make the problem go away.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Device type : iPhone14ProMax
OS Version : iOS 17.3
Signia App Version : 2.6.51.12979
Hardware version : 1.0
Firmware version : Left: 25.0.854.3
Right: 25.0.854.3
HI model : Left : Pure C&G T 7IX
HI model : Right : Pure C&G T 7IX
Serial Number : Left : xxx
Serial Number : Right : xxx
Pairing Type : BlePairing

I’m in trial with the same model but using an Android.
Everything is working great.
the only issue I’ve had is during streaming a phone call and what happened is that the sound went only to my right ear and it happened only once

Occasionally I’ll loose the left or right while using the TV streamer. I can tell by checking bluetooth connection on phone ap where the one that dropped will not show battery life as a percentage. It basically says click to check the battery life. I’ll reboot the dropped hearing aid and all is fine. Streamed phone calls or music is pretty solid. fyi - S22 android.

Thanks for the thoughts, but FYI this isn’t a problem with streaming. The problem is that the hearing aids stop amplifying sound as though they have entered streaming mode.

Updates:

• appears to be BOTH hearing aids, rather than just the left. This may have been the case all along (the toggle may have just been more noticeable on the left, where I have a stronger prescription).
  • The problem reliably happens every AM when hearing aids first connect, even if there are no streaming apps active :face_with_monocle:
  • Signia support recommended unpairing from the phone and app, then repairing with both. That didn’t stop the problem. They then advised upgrading to iOS 17.3 final (vs the beta), which also didn’t help.

SOLVED: The problem was an alarm program (Alarmy) that aggressively keeps itself active as it’s designed to minimize the chance that the user can oversleep!

When I turn on Alarmy’s “Battery saving mode” [Settings → Configuration], the program can run without affecting the hearing aids…however, it also makes it less effective (eg you have to make sure to turn off the iPhone “silence” setting). It turns out that since I’m not going to use the hearing aids while sleeping (or napping), I just can just run Alarmy when going to sleep, and terminate it after waking up (you can turn off the warning that happens when the app closes).

FYI a similar app, Vamos, causes the same problem, but currently its battery saver mode does NOT fix the problem like Alarmy’s does.

1 Like