LE Audio and the Future of Hearing

Hi @jim_lewis. All valid possibilities. There’s some chatter around the Apple forums around this stuff. No-one knows anything. Personally I think they’re just trying to tick me off!

1 Like

I think the way it works is that Apple provides software development kits for upcoming models, under NDA, to companies that they accept as needing them. But no-one can announce anything until after Apple does. So Resound will announce the Omnia as compatible with iPhone 14 models soon.

1 Like

My take is that keeping phone compatibility lists up to date is not a priority of hearing aid companies. They often lag by several months or more.

1 Like

For those that really like to geek about this, the NRF connect app now has a section that tells if the device supports LE Audio! Progress is definitely coming. If anybody has phones that support BT 5.2 or 5.3 and have the app, I’d be curious to know if any show they support LE audio. I have a Samsung Galaxy S10e and since it only has BT 5.0, as expected it does not support.

2 Likes

Where you you see this in the app?

WH

I don’t remember if you have iPhone or Android, in the App Store or Google play store search for NRf connect

I found the app and installed it easily enough in the app store (iPhone) but don’t see in the app where the bt capability status is. I see lots of devices on the air. I know my old iphone 12 won’t do 5.3 but it is interesting to keep up with tools.

WH

1 Like

I didn’t either. I have a nephew that does development for Apple and I asked him about the bluetooth because of connectivity issues that I use to have when I was using the Oticon app. He emailed me and I got it this morning he wasn’t straight forward with an answer but he said that I would see improvements bluetooth after the IOS16 update which by the way is noon central time Monday for me. He knows I have the iPhone 13 but didn’t explain what he meant. After doing hardware and software for a number of years I know that integrated circuits can be created that can be firmware updated. And I have seen a lot of products get called brand new and all that happened was updating firmware.

I have it on Android. On Android there was an app update recently (8/24 I think) Under the stuff that had been there under “Device”, there is a new section that gives LE Audio info. Perhaps it’s only on Android for now?

It says supported on my Note 10+ with Bluetooth 5.0, which is strange?

Interesting!!!@ hmm. Looked at mine again. Should be a Y if supported.

Perhaps. I don’t see device anywhere in the app. I have four buttons at the bottom, Scanner, RSSI Graph, Peripheral, and Settings. Don’t see device on any of it. Oh, well.

WH

Well that would make more sense, as we know 5.0 won’t be supported, I get the “Yes” marker on everything else, but for LE Audio it just says supported.

Is there hamburger menu top left corner? Half way down is device info.

Mine have red ns. Presumably ys would be green

No hamburger menu. :frowning:

WH

I don’t get the green “yes” like the rest of the information in the screenshot, I don’t get the “red” no either.

1 Like

Perhaps it’s part of Apple just keeping developers locked out of core hardware features. In Android, developers have access to stuff like battery temperature. In iOS they don’t. I’ve requested several battery features for iOS battery manager apps and, IIRC, the usual developer reply is that Apple doesn’t let us access that parameter…

With a Galaxy Note 8 running Android 9, I get the Yes’s in green, the No’s in red. Maybe it’s one of those things that’s affected by Android OEM customization?

1 Like

@tenkan :You probably just need to reduce the font size in your phone’s general settings for display.
I get this with my Samsung S22:

If I change to a larger font in the settings the YES/NO are not visible anymore:

3 Likes

Good call, I’ll try that now.