LE Audio and the Future of Hearing

Looking forward to a future with Phonak devices that some day have LE Audio. I know some thing Phonak will drag their feet, and they might.

However, I think Sonnova is at serious risk of losing money if they don’t. A competitor that produces a broadcast device based on a defined technology standard that works as well as or better than the proprietary Roger solution (yes, this remains to be seen in practice) means I would go with the competitor. Whether that’s something like a school, conference room, TV streamer, etc, I’m not going with vendor lock-in over a common standard that will likely cost less.

3 Likes

The wait-and-see approach is the best approach from a business perspective. Until more devices implement LE audio (in practice not concept) there is no point in Sonova dumping their current tech. Has anyone been able to stream LE Audio on a hearing aid yet?

This is happening on a daily basis, all the big names are in on this.

They are, ReSound Nexia just released with Pixel and Samsung, Oticon has released LE Audio on the latest Intent, with others to follow in the coming months, sonova is already making plans to implement, they will be last in line, this can be backwards compatible, so Sonova won’t have to dump 4.2 classic, they can have both.

1 Like

I could do this, with Samsung Galays S24 and Resound Nexia, finally I could let the phone in my pocket, no lags.
But also the Genesis with Low BT had no lags, so it’s probably the phone that is better than my old Galaxy A54.

I am testing both at the moment but with Galaxy A54 I can’t stream anymore with Nexia it’s sounds terrible, when I tested them 2 months ago it was possible, no idea why.

1 Like

I am currently streaming Spotify crystal clear on my Galaxy S23 Ultra and Jabra Enhance Pro 20s. I can answer calls by tapping twice on my left ear. I can talk through my hearing aids with my phone in the next room. The person on the other end of the line can hear me clearly. I am using the recent February 15th version of the app. I just picked up my hearing aids today. The Bluetooth connection says LE Audio.

8 Likes

I just received this in my inbox this morning.

Auracast™ retrofit transmitters.

Here’s the video.

6 Likes

Interesting. Maybe I’ll switch the LE Audio back on and give it a try!

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/bluetooth-auracast-changing-way-microphones-designed-nick-hunn-hboye/

1 Like

Very interesting! Where do you find the LE audio status listed? Is that where you can turn it on and off?

So here we are in 2024 and there doesn’t seem to be much movement. Apple has still not implemented LE Audio although they have implemented Bluetooth 2 and 3 in their high end phones. There’s no new codec yet.

No Auracast to speak of either. It would be nice to be able to stream over LE Audio to the iPhone since my hearing aids only need a software upgrade to turn it on but I’m not holding my breath.

1 Like

There’s more movement than I was expecting a few months ago. Two hearing aid product families have it active and one ‘ready for’.

Mixed reviews on Android. More bad than good maybe. Early days. We should see improvements in Android 15. The main supplier of hearing loops has teamed up with someone else to bring transmitters to public places. Who knows about Apple?

I’d say things are choogling along.

2 Likes

Can I make the 1000th post please?

7 Likes

Thanks!!!

https://www.who.int/news-room/events/detail/2024/03/03/default-calendar/world-hearing-day-2024-changing-mindsets-let-s-make-ear-and-hearing-care-a-reality-for-all!

https://www.uky.edu/chs/about/news/changing-mindsets-learn-facts-about-hearing-loss-world-hearing-day

Yeah @d_Wooluf, only another few thousand posts to go on this thread, before we see the Auracast in full swing, it’s like watching paint dry :rofl: :upside_down_face: :crazy_face: :rofl: Apologies :pray: Cheers Kev :wink:

3 Likes

Is really Bluetooth LE and auracast available on Costco Jabra 20 offering? Because of this feature probably many now or in the near future will get their next HA from Costco for less than ReSound Nexia. In this regard, my 2nd audiologist I went to for fitting M&RIE receivers had the audacity to offer me an upgrade from my current ReSound Omnia 9 (previous top model) to Nexia for above $7K. This audiologist business driven by excessive profits on expense of the senior pocket need to be regulated as well. It’s a shame that these hearing aids businesses are using the unexplainable lack of Medicare coverage to push their profits above the limits.

MacRumors thinks it’s just a matter of time until Apple joins the BT LE Audio party as it mentions Apple’s firm past commitment to participating in the development of the LE Audio standard. (can’t find the MacRumors post I read recently on this)

BTW, I was about to weigh in with post #1002 in this thread, but I got distracted by something else and missed my big chance. C’est dommage! :sob:

Can’t resist! :joy: I get to be 1000, two (too) → 1000 (& 2).

3 Likes

I’m betting that Apple is holding off announcing Auracast support until they add it to the next version of Airpods. I wouldn’t expect it before the WWDC conference in June, where they’ll unveil the next version of iOS, or maybe with the iPhone 16 launch in September.

1 Like

The newly released Oticon’s Intent are supossed to have LE Audio/Auracast

at the bottom of the page, Oticon Intent™ | The world’s first hearing aid with user-intent sensors

Bluetooth® LE Audio
Gives Oticon Intent future-proof, next-generation connectivity.

So we have two HAs that have it already [Resound/Jabra Nexia, Oticon Intent] and one that is supposed to get it via firmware update [Signia’s IX platform]

1 Like

@Reginald Where does it say Auracast?
Thx