LE Audio and the Future of Hearing

S22 Ultra uses Broadcom chip

Broadcom BCM4389 Wi-Fi 6E & Bluetooth 5.x

however, regular s22 uses the Qualcomm FastConnect chip

Qualcomm WCN6856 WiFi 6/6E & Bluetooth 5.3

5 Likes

Thanks. This is really interesting. From Quallcom’s website I’d gotten the impression that FastConnect was an integrated part of the SOC, but obviously not true. I do not understand much of the terminology in the diagrams. Where does the cell modem (LTE, 5G) “live” in that complicated mess? Is it part of the SOC or also separate like the WiFi/BT chip? Thanks again.

It is misleading, It just mean it is just easier to integrate into your product than your competitors such as broadcom

It is a complicated mess,. modem processor is part of the SoC but there are supporting chips that Qualcomm need you to add before 4g/5g works. which cost $$$$

Just by having the chip itself is not enough. There is a baseband firmware/OS you need to buy before use… even more $$$$$$$$$

2 Likes

Thanks. Guess this demonstrates why buying a phone is a lot more than just the SOC. It’s the whole package.

1 Like

I worked on Qualcomm snapdragon SoC family in my previous life… it was a interesting beast to say the least.

2 Likes

Here is some interesting info i found in Bluetooth SIG I posted in another thread

The Samsung Galaxy Buds 2 Pro are going to be updated to LE Audio I think. All the blogs are carrying news about a new spacial recording feature which apparently requires LE Audio. The spatial recording is the banner headline, LE Audio the footnote.

2 Likes

So it’s confirmed that if you have Bluetooth 5 or more, a firmware update will give one LE Audio?

Yes but it is unlikely any of the manufactures will do that unless you are Cochlear Ltd and i suspect resound is prepping for Omnia FW update soon for LE Audio

2 Likes

Oh well I hope that’s not true, it would be massive if the latest HAs and mobile devices could be updated, obviously not for older models…but one can hope.

Ohhhh if that’s correct then I might have to update quicker then I expected! What about ReSound one, left behind I suppose!

not likely, if you look at the release pattern of 2 firmware update within 1 year of it release… one at 6 month and another at 1 year… and probably, bug fixes for 3 years

Yeah I think your right about that, only so many firmware updates before a new platform release, which seems to be 2 years now.

1 Like

It seems strange to me that you can use them to record some weird proprietary audio format but you can’t listen to music using LE Audio? Samsung press release:

1 Like

OTH, if you look at the One PR on ReSound Pro, the rubric for the One is still something like that the One has “future-proof Bluetooth Low-Energy” and I think there was a post or two on the forum by folks that claimed a ReSound rep had told them that the One would be upgradeable to BT LE Audio (it has BT 5.2). I wouldn’t call a BT LE device that can’t be upgraded to BT LE Audio very future-proof!!! OTH, conspiracy theory here: Was it Apple that found BT 5.2 not good enough for its BT LE Audio purposes, hence BT 5.3 and the hold-up on the official release of BT LE Audio as a finished product? Maybe the Omnia, which is very similar to the One except for the supposed improvements in Front Focus vs. Ultrafocus, was issued simply because the One wasn’t good enough for Apple’s plans for BT LE Audio, but the Omnia might be? (Don’t know what the truth is, am just looking to start another good conspiracy theory!).

2 Likes

the protocol let’s you be independent in in left and right bidirectional.

Apple have nothing to do with resound plans and BT 5.2 is enough to support this. It is entirely possible that the One could support BT LEA. Based on the information, this is good news! I am not ruling that out. The improvement that 5.3 over 5.2 is just to lower power consumption… Apple just supported the LE Audio through tBluetooth SIG

See my research on Resound LEWIS platform.

1 Like

So that’s the beauty of LE Audio, there’s no Android/Apple dancing around ,MFi streaming will be just a distraction, one for all with LE Audio right?

it is the true successor to ASHA/MFI protocol because no company want to maintain proprietary protocol…

Brilliant,I was hoping this was the case, well I hope Jim and you are right that the One’s have a chance of getting LE.