LE Audio and the Future of Hearing

Reviewed Bluetooth Sig products. Looks like GN’s Resound Nexia (and likely similar Jabra products) are the only ones with all BT LE Audio certifications. Although Phonak is sticking with Classic BT, they seem well prepared to move into LE Audio when they’re ready as Sonova has it in their Sennheiser products.
I’m guessing Demant, WS Audiology and Starkey will all get there eventually, but they don’t seem to have necessary BT certifications yet.

2 Likes

Call me a sceptic if you like @MDB this thread started 4 years ago, are we any further forward with implementing Auracast, nope… Are we likely to be still discussing in another 4 years time, probably? Tis worse than waiting for paint to dry :rofl: Cheers Kev :wink:

5 Likes

@kevels55 I think we are closer than before, see ReSound Nexia and Ampetronic:

Samsung S23/S24 and their earbuds 2"!! are already Auracast compatible, JBL, Sennheiser:

It is emerging, from my reading, it seems like it will be end of 2024 or mid 2025 that we will see a market change, but for now it is starting to take shape.

3 Likes

We’re definitely closer. GN is basically there except for the inevitable glitches. Demant and WS clearly have it in the works and I really think Sonova is taking the smartest approach: Do the development with Consumer level OTC devices and when perfected implement in their hearing aids.

2 Likes

Has anyone used Auracast yet, actually used it, I mean outside the Lab or demo trials? For years, it’s been all talk, and no actual rollout, to my way of thinking, nothing has actually changed, it’s still the same, for me there has to be a fundamental problem, if it is not at the rollout stage by now? Cheers Kev :wink:

Bluetooth 5.3 has been in development for 10 years! In the 21st century it’s a snail’s pace.

1 Like

The Cochlear Nucleus 8 processors are LE Audio Auracast enabled.
I haven’t heard or read of anyone actually using them with this Bluetooth yet but they do have it.

3 Likes

@kevels55

ReSound Nexia hearing aids or other LE Audio compatible solutions, the TV-Streamer+ integrates a Nordic’s LE Audio- and Auracast-capable SoC to deliver low power, low latency, and long range wireless connectivity with improved audio quality.”

Already on sale, one could potentially use his Auracast Samsung S23/S24 and his earbuds 2 to listen to TV via ReSound TV-Streamer+ while the other half stream directly to his/her ReSound Nexia HA.

1 Like

Intent? Launch Studio - Listing Details (under supported layers)

It is worse. You don’t really care when paint dries.

Yes. A few people on this forum, Kev. As @mdb said elsewhere, it seems a bit glitchy on the Nexus.

Has there been an announcement? They were released as ‘ready for’. I haven’t seen anything to say that’s changed.

1 Like

Good find! I was looking under Demant and now they’re called SBO Hearing? Confirms that the Phillips 9050 will also have it.

2 Likes

From the Cochlear website.

Resound and Cochlear do work together for bi-modal hearing. It makes since the N8 would follow the latest Resound aids.

And Oticon Intent is LE Audio compatible as well as Auracast ready.

2 Likes

Yes, d_Wooluf already caught this.

1 Like

Things are speeding up, apparently next version of Android will have fully enabled Auracast stack.

3 Likes

Can Apple be far behind?!

Another Android update today on my pixel 7a.
I took a look through the LEAudio stuff and didn’t see anything different but could have missed something.
That’s two updates in the past ,months or so.

Well looks like your right, this from SIG group, their talking about the “next 5 years?”

1 Like

We’ve been talking about it for 4 years but the spec was completed 2 years ago. It’s a product that’s competing against older versions of itself. It’s also a product that won’t work unless you buy two devices that have it. Major disencentive. I don’t think it was ever going to happen overnight.

4 Likes

TBVH @tenkan I would much prefer to be100% wrong, and hopefully I am! We can all envision the advantages of Auracast, in the immortal words of “The Bard, Robert Burns;
Then let us pray that come it may,
As come it will for a’ that,
That Sense and Worth, o’er a’ the earth
Shall bear the gree an’ a’ that.
For a’ that, an’ a’ that,
It’s comin yet for a’ that,
That Man to Man the warld o’er
Shall brithers be for a’ that.“
There are some lines in that stanza that might be deemed appropriate, and if nothing else they are beautiful words… Cheers Kev :wink:

1 Like

http://www.middlemiss.org/lit/authors/obrienj/poetry/hanrahan.html

2 Likes