LC3 Codec and LE Audio

@Andy_Bellavia , @AbramBaileyAuD
There has been considerable discussion on here about the LC3 Codec and LE Audio. It is my understanding that the LC3 Codec is a required part of LE Audio, yet devices that supposedly support LE Audio do not seem to support the LC3 Codec. (Specifically Samsung S23 and S24 line of phones and Resound Nexia and comparable Jabra hearing aids) Could somebody shed some light on this?
Thanks.

1 Like

I thought LC3 is an audio codec that is LE Audio introduced in Bluetooth 5.2?

1 Like

That is my understanding too but there seem to be devices with BT 5.2 and 5.3 that claim to support LE Audio that don’t seem to support LC3 Codec, hence my question.

2 Likes

Also from what I have been reading something in the Samsung update to one UI 6.1 has broken the le audio. I am very interested in this because i will be getting Oticon INTEND aids in late June.

@MDB @AbramBaileyAuD the LC3 codec is mandatory for LE Audio. I think Samsung is hiding it, only making it available when connected to a compatible device. With ReSound Nexia attached to me S23, there is a switch to turn on LE Audio. So LC3 is in play there.

@cvkemp, you seem to be correct about OneUI 6.1. With OneUI 6.0 I could receive Auracast in my Galaxy Buds streamed from a GN TV streamer. That was the basis of my “Andy’s Sports Bar” video. Now under 6.1, it plays from one ear only.

5 Likes

Thank you very much! So if I understand correctly, when a S23 or S24 is connected to a LE Audio compatible device, one has to turn on a switch. Does the switch pop up automatically or does one need to know to do so? After the switch is turned on, LC3 Codec becomes available. Is this how most smartphones will work or will some be automatic? Again, thank you very much!

1 Like

Just got an email from my audiologist, he talked to Oticon about the possible problem with Samsung OneUI 6.1. Oticon stated they are aware of the issue and is working with Samsung to fix the problem.

4 Likes

The switch for LE Audio is under the settings wheel for the Jabra Enhance Pro 20s (or ReSound Nexia 9s) HA’s options (including LE Audio, Listen to Auracast Broadcast, Left and Right Hearing Aids on/off and Volume sliders. This is found in the Samsung Galaxy S23/S24 UI 6.1 settings under Connections, Bluetooth.

I do not know how the LC3 Codec works with these phones .

2 Likes

Thanks. So after one pairs the hearing aids with the phone and connects does one have to know to look for the LE Audio switch or does it pop up automatically?

2 Likes

From what I have read you have to go into the settings under bluetooth the ln the settings for the aids to find the switch.

I had to go into Bluetooth settings and turn LE Audio on with my mum’s Samsung S24.

3 Likes

@MDB @AbramBaileyAuD @cvkemp I just tried the S23 / buds with Auracast again and it works just fine. Either there was some kind of small update or I was doing something wrong. I don’t think the latter because I tried it multiple times, but anyway it’s working now.

As for the last question, right now with Samsung one has to go into the Bluetooth settings and turn on LE Audio. That is also where Auracast channels are discovered. This is clearly an early effort. It doesn’t have to be so. LE could be made the default codec just as SBC is now, and the Auracast assistant could be moved out of the BT settings.

One final note - Samsung doesn’t offer LE Audio when streaming to the Galaxy Buds. Going into the developer settings, it can be seen that they use their proprietary codec. But with the Nexia, LE can be turned on. Also the phone itself can transmit Auracast. So LE and LC3 is clearly in the S23.

4 Likes

Great to know. The issue with the INTEND aids may be a needed firmware update, to the aids. I don’t get my aids until late June. So hopefully everything will be sorted out by then.

Just got a Google Pixel 8 phone to replace my Galaxy A54 that wouldn’t stream audio to my Jabra EP 20s even though it had LE audio. My hearing aids steam very well now to my Pixel 8. The bluetooth settings are different on the Pixel phones vs. the Samsungs. On the Samsungs (I’ve streamed successfully with the Galaxy S23 and S24 while testing) to toggle off audio streaming (for example to share a call over speaker phone) I had to go to Bluetooth - Connected Devices, see my HA’s and click on the settings gear wheel and then toggle off the LE Audio. With my Pixel 8 I can swipe down and see a Bluetooth bubble for my HAs, click on that on toggle off Use Bluetooth. Even if I click on the gear wheel, and toggle off LE Audio (funny the description says "Experimental. Improves audio quality) my phone still streams audio to my HAs. This behavior is different than the Galaxy S23 and S24.

1 Like

So can you do hands free calling with the Jaba and the Pixel 8? Could you do it with the S23 using LE Audio?

Not hands free with any of those phones, the audio steams fine to the Jabra HA’s but one still needs to use the phone for the microphone, which is not a problem for me.

For whatever reason I can do hands-free on my S23 with my Jabra EP20s. That said I do have to toggle Bluetooth on and off to make that happen after I’ve enabled LE Audio. I could go way down the hall with the door closed and still talk on the phone with my phone in the other room. And I also like the ear tap to answer my phone calls that’s enabled in the Jabras fitting software.

1 Like

LE Audio is the reason.

2 Likes

I understand, I was responding to @DAngelo who said he was not able to do this with his same devices. And I was confused by his response. And responding to it.

1 Like

How often do you need to do this? For each call? When you select LEA?