Lapel + Table mic setup - Phonak

Hi -
I have severe (trending to profound) hearing loss. I am about to buy the Naida Luminity 90 of Phonak. I particularly care about accessories that could help me in social situations, since I am also blind.

I am trying to build a lapel + table mic setup, i.e. I am looking for two microphones that could be used simultaneously, one to place in the middle of the table, and another one to give to someone like a family member or close friend (to attach to their shirt or lapel). This would be for social situations, like a restaurant table, or a dinner party.

It seems like the Roger mics are the most promissing (open to all options nevertheless). But I am not sure what is the best combinations of roger mics for this. Would it be best to have two Roger On? or one select and one clip on or partner mic? or two selects (since I see those can also be used in “presenter mode” if hang around the neck? Just looking to her your thoughts on what would be the best combo.

Thanks so much in advance for your help!

J

2 Likes

You have some options. First, if you want to have one unit clipped to another person, the best (in my opinion) is the Roger On iN. This instrument has more functionalities, it can be worn by someone, used as a pointer or used as a table mic. If you want an additional unit to be set on the table, the options are the Roger Select or the Table Mic II or an additional Roger ON. The Roger Select can also be worn around the neck on a lanyard while the Table Mic II can not. If the Roger Select is used with the Roger On, the Roger on must be worn in the vertical position by someone or the Select will be silenced. The Table Mic II would be my personal selection because you can add additional Table Mic IIs if needed. Once you have receivers/licenses in your hearing aids, you will not need additional licenses for the additional units. I have a Roger On, a Roger Select and a couple of Roger Table Mic IIs. The sound advantage, in my opinion, is about the same for each of the units. I like the Table Mic II over the Select only because you can connect more Table Mic IIs if you need, thus giving you more flexibility

3 Likes

Thank you. And this is very useful. The point about licenses of the mic II is very insightful, so thanks for mentioning that. And I think i will get that one for the table part of the combo I’m looking for.

For the lapel part of the combo, I wonder if the roger clip on would have similar (or better) performance to the roger on in presenter model. I have tested the roger on already, and I like it very much, but I personally don’t have much use for the pointing function and the multiple modes in a single device.
If the lapel microphone (presenter model) of the Roger On has better sound filters than the clip on or the partner mic, that would be a good argument for me to go for the roger on (instead of the clip on or partner on). If anyone has any thoughts on that, that would be greatly appreciated.

@jmed See below:

Edit: Also, this one:

2 Likes

Roger On and Table Mic II?

Can’t have 2 x Roger On as you won’t be able to use one as Table Mode.

They stopped that working so you would have to buy a Table Mic II.

You can use a Roger ON with a Roger pen (very cheap used). In that scenario the Roger ON would have to be in presenter mode, and the Roger pen could be in table mode.
Disclaimer: I have both but havent actually tried that. I will set that up and report back.

If you want an ideal lapel + table Roger mic setup, you have to do this with Roger Table Mic II for table part.

Please notice that the table mode of Roger Pen, Roger Select, and Roger On will not work when you connect multiple Roger mic. This is explicit indicated in their user guide.

Roger Pen User Guide, page 47:

Roger Pen enters Handheld / lanyard mode when connected to one or more additional microphones. While connected to other microphones, it is not possible to change this mode.

Roger Select iN User Guide, page 33:

When Roger Select iN is used with other microphones, it has to be worn by a talker on the chest. When you place Roger Select iN on the table, it will mute automatically. Unmuting Roger Select iN will mute the other microphones that are connected with the Roger Select iN.

Roger On User Guide, page 43:

When Roger On is used with other microphones, it has to be worn by a talker on the chest. When you place Roger On on the table or when you hold it in your hand, it will mute automatically. Unmuting Roger On by a long press (2 seconds) on the center button will block the other microphones that are connected with the Roger On.