KS9s, Bluetooth and new Pixel 7 phone

I currently wear KS9 HAs (slightly over 3 years – just out of warranty). I have used Bluetooth connectivity to listen to media and phone calls on my phone as well as on my computer at home. I have not had major issues with connecting back and forth between the 2 devices. For reference, my previous phone was a Samsung S10e and I have a windows computer running windows 11. With the Samsung phone, my hearing aids reconnected automatically whenever I restarted my HAs, like first thing in the morning or when changing batteries. I am now using the new Google Pixel 7 phone. I was able to pair my HAs successfully and enable Bluetooth. I seem to have an issue – mostly first thing in the morning – where my HAs seem to lose Bluetooth connectivity when I restart my HAs after having my HAs turned off for the night. The settings menu shows the HAs are “active” but not connected. Am I wrong in thinking that the HAs should automatically reconnect when they are restarted? I am pursuing this with the Google support community but I also wanted to run this issue by this group in case anyone here might have some suggestions. Thanks

1 Like

I have KS9s and a Pixel 6. They reconnect to the phone after disconnection without problems.

You mention it happens first thing in the morning, is ‘do not disturb’ still active?

no, Do Not Disturb not on. Got music right away. So back to reading news. The weird thing that happened was as I was reading my morning newsfeed, I wanted to listen to a news article. Clicked on it and nothing. So I went back and checked my old standby, music, and that was fine. So maybe it’s a media issue. But I was unable to get the media sound, turning off/on the option in Settings. Finally turned Bluetooth off, then had to fuss around after turning it back on before the HAs would connect. In fact there was an initial lag in the sound. About 4 - 5 seconds of no sound then HAs seemed to wake up. Not at all sure what is going on at this point. I don’t know if it’s the HAs or the phone, although I suspect the phone since it is the big change.

I am now having problems.

This morning I was streaming a podcast, everything worked okay. Stopped and started a new podcast and Bluetooth connection stopped working. I had to forget the HAs and re-add them to get things working again.

My guess is that Google has changed something that they need to fix. (My ‘at a glance weather’ has also disappeared.)

Chris, are you still having problems with keeping your HAs and Bluetooth connected? If you are, I suggest you also open an incident with Google. At least that way they will here that there are issues with keeping HAs connected to Bluetooth. BTW, this morning, I started out connected. As I was reading my email, I sort of “heard” something a bit different. Turns out Bluetooth disconnected. I had to completely forget and re-pair my HAs . ARGH

I am currently in a chat with Google. He had me go to safe mode, unpair and go the the pairing process. Then had me disconnect and reconnect. The HAs reconnected quickly, which they don’t in normal mode. You might want to try this to see if you have the same issue. Let me know if you need more details.

Since I unpaired and paired to the phone, it has been working again. I also had problems with the MyPhonak app, which unpairing and pairing seemed to fix.

Fingers crossed.

Chrisb, I finally gave up. I was just unable to keep my KS9s connected to my Pixel 7. So I sent the phone back and went with a Samsung 22. After going back and forth with the device support people at Google, their final thought was that my HAs were too old and should probably be replaced to function with their phone. HUH??? Like I am going to spend a couple thousand dollars to get new HAs to work with there $700 phone??? That became a hard pass for me. So the phone went back. The Samsung phone works flawlessly with my HAs. It just took a chunk of time to keep restoring apps. My suspicion is that it’s an issue with Android 13 which as far as I know is only on the Pixel 7 and Pixel 7Pro phones. mary

Sorry to hear this. It must be a Pixel 7 problem. I am on Android 13, and despite the occasional hiccup it seems to be working well. There was a problem with Android 12 that caused excessive battery drain on the Pixel 6. This was fixed with Android 13.

There was never an official announcement that there was a problem with Android 12. For a long time I thought there was something wrong with the HAs. It was only through posts on this site realized it was Android.

Your posts might help other people who are considering buying a Pixel 7.

Chris, I returned the pixel7 after the engineer suggested that I probably needed new hearing aids. I bought a Samsung 22 which seems to work fine and my hearing aids connect without a problem even with the latest version of Android 13 and Samsung UI 5. Not worth dealing with Google. Although I really did like the phone.